White Nights by Ann Cleeves

White Nights

by Ann Cleeves

Other authors: Brenda Blethyn

Series: Shetland (2)

Raven Black by Ann Cleeves (Scrabblenut)
    Scrabblenut: Raven Black was Ann Cleeves first book introducing detective Jimmy Perez and is also set in Shetland. Complex characters and lots of psychology, an excellent mystery.

English (58)  Swedish (1)  All languages (59)
The second entry in Cleeves Shetland series, and it is not nearly as good as the first book. I feel like she mucked up the ending - I had someone different picked for the murderer, and I think mine would have made for a better story. Also, some weird tension between the two lead detectives in this one which didn't really make sense to me since they got along fine in the first book. I like the lead characters and the setting, so I will continue with this series. ( )
  Crazymamie | Jan 18, 2019 |
Set in the Shetland Islands during the Simmer Dim, when the sun barely sets, this novel didn’t work as well for me as the first one. Mostly that was because of the plot, which I found uninteresting until the very end.
The characters, however, are well-developed and ima, enjoying learning more about Jimmy Perez, the detective. ( )
  bohemima | Aug 5, 2018 |
It’s the simmer dim in Shetland: summer, when the sun barely sets. But the sun isn’t shedding any light on a perplexing case. An Englishman, new to town, who had a public breakdown at an art exhibition, is found hanging from the rafters of Kenny Thomson’s barn. Initially thought to be suicide, it is quickly discovered to be murder. But who would want to kill a stranger in Shetland? What secrets are going to be exposed to the light of perpetual day when Jimmy Perez is finished with the case?

I read this book during a very busy week and found it a reasonable companion for that time. The pacing fits life on Shetland: a little meandering, a little slow. In this regard it was easy to pick up and put down the book as my attention span waxed and waned. I have to say I didn’t see the solution coming, and I didn’t have the same reaction I did to the first book (“It’s an island; there are only so many suspects! Who did it?”), so overall I liked it better. I’ll likely keep reading the series. ( )
  rabbitprincess | Jul 26, 2018 |
Rounded up to 3. I didn't find this book to be that exciting. It dragged on a lot and not much action happened. ( )
  jynxmecrazie | Jul 15, 2018 |
2.25 stars

A stranger has wandered into an art opening on the Shetland Islands, and makes a scene. He is later found dead – it is initially deemed a suicide, but on closer inspection, it appears to be a murder.

So, the premise sounds really good. I was hopeful. But, I was also listening to the audio, and it just couldn’t hold my interest. I did follow enough at the start to get my little summary (and it’s why the extra .25 stars), but it really went downhill after that, and I could rarely focus on what was going on. It makes me not want to continue the series, but I feel like I should try the 3rd one, just not on audio, and decide from there. I don’t remember the first book blowing me away, either, though I did rate it as “good”. ( )
  LibraryCin | Jul 13, 2018 |

Jan JärnebrandTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mellema, JanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostrup, HenrietteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Ingirid Eunson,
with thanks for great times at Gunglesund
The passengers streamed ashore from the cruise ship.

The electrifying follow-up to the Dagger Award–winning Raven Black

In this second thriller of the highly acclaimed Shetland Island series featuring Inspector Jimmy Perez, the launch of an exhibition at The Herring House art gallery is disturbed by a stranger who bursts into tears, then claims not to remember who he is or where he comes from. The next day he’s found dead. Set in midsummer, the book captures the unsettling nature of a landscape where the sun never quite sets and where people are not as they first seem.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:21 -0400)

The launch of an exhibition at the Herring House art gallery is disturbed by a stranger who bursts into tears, then claims not to remember who he is or where he comes from. The next day he's found dead.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Ann Cleeves's book White Nights: A Thriller was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,584,276 books! | Top bar: Always visible