Greetings From Nowhere by Barbara O'Connor

Greetings From Nowhere

by Barbara O'Connor

Another winner by Barbara O'Connor ( )
  jothebookgirl | Jan 3, 2017 |
This book left me thinking, "I want!" I want the world to be as good as it is in 'Greetings from Nowhere'. In this book, people meet up at a sleepy hotel and become friends. Everyone's life is changed, just a little bit, and for the better. I feel, having read this book, that the world is a good place, and for me to feel the goodness, all it takes is for me to put forth a little bit of niceness. Not so much that it's uncomfortable and awkward, but just a little bit, and then look around and let my eyes see all the beauty around. I want to read more books about these nice people. ( )
  Merryann | Aug 18, 2015 |
Ever since her husband died, Aggie Duncan has had trouble keeping up the Sleepy Time Motel. Reluctantly, she decides that it may be time to sell. That decision will bring Willow and her father to the motel in search of a fresh start -- or at least Willow's father is in search of a fresh start. Willow is missing her old life: friends, house, and the mother who left her and her father behind. Loretta, a girl just a little younger than Willow, also finds herself at the Sleepy Time motel. She's on a personal quest, with the blessing of her adoptive family, to learn a little more about her recently deceased biological mother. Kirby and his mother are also guests at the motel, and unwilling ones at that, since they were on their way to Kirby's new military school when their car broke down. Kirby's been in trouble for a long time now, and this school is his last chance. Can he find a different pattern of behavior, or will he slip back into old habits?

This book is told in alternating perspectives, shifting back and forth between the children and adults staying at the motel. The narratives bump up against each other and weave loosely together as the characters interact and learn about each other and themselves. I never felt very connected to any of them, nor did I care strongly about the outcome of the story. That's not to say that it wasn't a pleasant book, just not one that is going to grab hold of the reader's imagination. The story has a strong sense of place, and since it's a place I'm familiar with, I was able to picture it clearly. Readers looking for this sort of gentle summer story may enjoy this book, though those looking for adventure and excitement should probably look elsewhere. ( )
  foggidawn | Aug 17, 2014 |
I borrowed this book from the elementary school library. The cast of characters consists of 8 people whose lives become intertwined for a period of time. The story lines are wrapped up nicely but not too perfectly, as one character never leaves her grumpy resentment behind for the freshness of new-found friendships. ( )
  BoundTogetherForGood | May 5, 2014 |
Great book. Four stories told around a falling down motel in the Smoky Mountains. Easy to read as it is so well written. Author a favorite because she develops her characters into believable people. ( )
  librarian1204 | Apr 26, 2013 |

Aggie isn’t expecting visitors at the Sleepy Time Motel in the Great Smoky Mountains. Since her husband died, she is all alone with her cat, Ugly, and keeping up with the bills and repairs has become next to impossible. The pool is empty, the garden is overgrown, and not a soul has come to stay in nearly three months. When she reluctantly places a For Sale ad in the newspaper, Aggie doesn’t know that Kirby and his mom will need a room when their car breaks down on the way to Kirby’s new reform school. Or that Loretta and her parents will arrive in her dad’s plumbing company van on a trip meant to honor the memory of Loretta’s birth mother. Or that Clyde Dover will answer the For Sale ad in such a hurry and move in with his daughter, Willow, looking for a brand-new life to replace the one that was fractured when Willow’s mom left. Perhaps the biggest surprise of all is that Aggie and her guests find just the friends they need at the shabby motel in the middle of nowhere.

From an author long recognized for her true Southern voice and heartfelt characters, Greetings from Nowhere, with its four intertwining stories, brings Barbara O’Connor’s work to a new level of sophistication.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:31 -0400)

In North Carolina's Great Smoky Mountains, a troubled boy and his mother, a happy family seeking adventure, a man and his lonely daughter, and the widow who must sell the run-down motel that has been her home for decades, meet and are transformed by their shared experiences.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,931,778 books! | Top bar: Always visible