The Elvenbane (Halfblood Chronicles, Bk. 1)…

The Elvenbane (Halfblood Chronicles, Bk. 1) (original 1991; edition 1993)

by Andre Norton, Mercedes Lackey

1,587None4,584 (3.8)23
Member:MirandasBooks
Title:The Elvenbane (Halfblood Chronicles, Bk. 1)
Authors:Andre Norton
Other authors:Mercedes Lackey
Info:Tor Books (1993), Mass Market Paperback, 566 pages
Rating:*****

The Elvenbane by Andre Norton (Author) (1991)

(4) adventure (7) Andre Norton (11) book (4) Book 1 (5) dragons (89) ebook (8) elvenbane (5) elves (57) fantasy (408) fantasy fiction (6) fiction (137) half-blood (10) Halfblood Chronicles (64) hardcover (9) magic (28) Mercedes Lackey (16) Norton (8) novel (9) own (6) paperback (22) read (26) science fiction (17) series (25) sf (11) sff (29) speculative fiction (4) to-read (18) unread (13) wizards (8)

A story of elves, dragons, mages and half elves/humans.

I really enjoyed this. While a bit shallow, I never felt like rolling my eyes or putting the book down.

I found it quite interesting to see dragons as tricksters and elves as the bad guys. ( )
  Bookstooge | Sep 26, 2013 |
The world that the writing team of Norton and Lackey crafts is quite fascinating in its detail and description. The timeline and history of this world seems to place it sort of after the end of our present world, as a kind of post-apocalypse in which first the dragons found and then the elves, with the latter taking over and enslaving the remaining humans. I found the passage of time to be bothersome at times, since the authors seem to almost skip over the climaxes in favor of just relaying the information through the memories of the characters after the fact. More than once, I wished the writers could have written out this passage of time so that I can actually experience it as it happens.
The characters were all well-developed and unique, as the size of the book allowed the writers to spend lots of time focusing on a single character, even if his or her purpose seemed to end rather abruptly with death, such as Shana's mother, Serina Daeth. Normally, I have no trouble picking characters that I favored over the others, but with this book, no character seemed to jump out at me as so much better than the others, even the main character Shana, who seemed to lack in maturity as much as a pre-teen, with how she behaves around some of the other characters.
There were several over-arching themes in the book, such as the need for change, the call for justice, and how every rule has exceptions. Shana especially seemed to find the latter annoying as she continually found that what she was taught about elves, humans, or dragons was not always true. Even though the legend of the Elvenbane is merely a tall tale crafted by the dragons to stir up trouble with the elves and humans, Shana falls into the role by accident simply because of a dragon's kindness. Ironically, her up-bringing gives her the perfect personality for playing that role, as the main goal of this book was to put her in the perfect position to fill this role for the next book in the series, Elvenblood (Halfblood Chronicles). ( )
  JacobsBeloved | Jul 10, 2011 |
Five out of five for the story-telling quality. Three out of five for the story per sey. The book did hold my interest but I just felt that it wasn't as absorbing as the Obsidian Trilogy by Mercedes Lackey. Still made me buy the second book, The Elvenblood. Waiting patiently for it to arrive in the post. And will most likely read more of M. Lackey and A. Norton offerings again.

Overall Rating = 4 out of 5

My review online: http://www.cherrymischievous.com/2009/06/elvenbane.html ( )
  cherrymischievous | Aug 5, 2010 |
This book was one of my guilty pleasures of 8th grade. I read half of it in one sitting, and finished the rest during class the next day. Wonderful story with unique twists on elves, dragons, and magic. ( )
  tuckerfrye | Jul 10, 2010 |
Excellent tale from a pair of great storytellers. The story moves quickly with great characters good and bad. And when it finishes you can't wait for the next installment. ( )
  jamespurcell | Jun 4, 2009 |

Vigesaa, AasneNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated To:
The Fans
Past, Present and Future
Serina Daeth. I am -- Serina Daeth.

Two masters of epic fantasy have combined in this brilliant collaboration to create a rousing tale. This is the story of Shana, a half-breed born of the forbidden union of an Elvenlord father with a human mother. Her exiled mother dead, Shana was rescued and raised by dragons, a proud, ancient race who existed unbeknownst to elven or human kind. From birth, Shana was the embodiment of the Prophecy that the all-powerful Elvenlords feared. Her destiny is the enthralling adventure of a lifetime.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0812511751, Mass Market Paperback)

Two masters of epic fantasy have combined in this brilliant collaboration to create a rousing tale of the sort that becomes an instant favorite. This is the story of Shana, a halfbreed born of the forbidden union of an Elvenlord father and a human mother. Her exiled mother dead, she was rescued and raised by dragons, a proud, ancient race who existed unbeknownst to elven or humankind. From birth, Shana was the embodiment of the Prophecy that the all-powerful Elvenlords feared. Her destiny is the enthralling adventure of a lifetime.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:28 -0400)

Two masters of epic fantasy collaborate to create a rousing tale. This is the story of Shana, a halfbreed born of the forbidden union of an Elvenlord father and a human mother. Her exiled mother dead, Shana is rescued and raised by dragons. Reaching adulthood, she explores her magical abilities and ultimately leads a revolt against the decadent elves.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,438,403 books! | Top bar: Always visible