The Path to Nowhere by Welles Hartley
532221,808 (3)1

Dark Times have indeed come to a galaxy far, far away. The Empire is ascendant, and after Order 66 has been implemented, it is a bad time to be a Jedi. This book captures the feeling of those times. The artwork is on the realistic side (even when the characters are various humanoid/animal-ish aliens) and the coloring is subdued and natural, both a step away from the more colorful, more animated artwork you will see in other comics, Knights of the Old Republic, for example. Douglas Wheatley manages to capture expressions on alien faces very well. For instance, Bomo Greenbark's stunned expression when he learns his family has been sold into slavery by the Empire. Basically, I can't say enough good things about the art in this first volume of Dark Times. The story is also compelling. The time is soon after Anakin Skywalker has been transformed into Darth Vader, and even though his face is literally a mask, you can still tell that he is coming to grips with his actions and his new role as a servant of his master, the Emperor. There are a number of brief flashbacks to the prequel movies, which act as a nice connector between the Darth Vader from the original movies and the prequels. These are Dark Times for Vader, certainly. And for Jedi Dass Jennir, who must hide what he is due to Order 66, he must come to grips with what it means to be a Jedi (or not) in this new era.

This is not a happy story, as the title implies, but it is a riveting story combined with good artwork, and introduces a slew of interesting characters that I want to learn more about. ( )
  lithicbee | Dec 19, 2009 |
I expected to like this new series a lot, spinning off as it did from the very good last volume of the Clone Wars comics, Endgame. Unfortunately, this volume never clicked with me for some reason. There's nothing I can point to, really, but there is a feeling of seen-it-before, with a Jedi on the run in a rag-tag ship, in danger of falling to the dark side-- it's Knights of the Old Republic mixed with Quinlan Vos's arc in Clone Wars, except not as good as either. One review I read online said that the story Endgame set up-- a Jedi leading an army of former Separatists against the Empire-- was more interesting than the one we actually got, and I agree. Still, the art is very, very nice, and the twilight gloom that arrives with the coming of the Empire is well portrayed. I think I'll pick up the second volume and see how I like it then.
  Stevil2001 | Feb 4, 2008 |

Welles Hartleyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Harrison, MickAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Wheatley, DouglasArtistmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Is this where the path to power leads?

"Jedi Dass Jennir and his companion Bomo Greenbark survived the Clone Wars, but the fate of Bomo's wife and daughter remains a mystery. The two friends are determined to find them, but their path leads them from danger to darkness-where each of them stands to lose more than they may hope to gain. Meanwhile, Darth Vader must deal with some unpleasant realities-and memories-of his own. Though he is a Dark Lord of the Sith, even he must bow before the power of the Emperor"--Publisher's website.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,721,216 books! | Top bar: Always visible