20th Century Ghosts by Joe Hill

20th Century Ghosts (2002)

by Joe Hill

Fragile Things: Short Fictions and Wonders by Neil Gaiman (mao21234)
    mao21234: Gaiman likes to embed stories in his introductions- as a nod to Gaiman, Hill embeds one in the acknowledgements at the end of the book.
    Pictures From An Expedition by Alexander C. Irvine (msouliere)
    msouliere: Like Joe Hill, and very much in the spirit of Ray Bradbury's short story collections, this book is eclectic and exploratory in nature. Good stuff!
    Tiny Deaths by Robert Shearman (Booksloth)
    Dark Ride by Michael Laimo (lesleydawn)
    Smoke and Mirrors: Short Fictions and Illusions by Neil Gaiman (smammers)

English (100)  Finnish (2)  Swedish (1)  Piratical (1)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (106)
Don't let the title mislead you. The stories contained within the book are not all horror, they're not even all supernatural. Joe Hill's short stories run the spectrum, and every single one of them contains an unexpected amount of care. Some of the stories are predictable, but the protagonist is so real that you don't care. Some of the stories are entirely new, ideas so wild that they've never been done before. The book is incredible, start to finish - and read every page of it, there are some things well hidden between those covers. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
These short stories contain content and ideas that I have never read before. Not all of the stories were creepy, which was what I had anticipated, but they were entertaining nonetheless. I experienced a bit of a lull in the middle, but the last 4 stories made up for a few of the mediocre ones in the middle. My favorite stories (by far) were: 20th Century Ghost, Pop Art, In the Rundown, Last Breath, Bobby Conroy Comes Back from the Dead, My Father's Mask and Voluntary Committal. ( )
  mandarella | May 21, 2018 |
Birthday gift to myself!
  capriciousreader | Mar 20, 2018 |
Horror stories...weather real or imagined...chill and thrill us. We read them huddled under the bed-covers or sitting with our backs to the wall. There is just something about a good case of goosebumps that appeal to the genuine fan of horror or the paranormal. These short stories really can't be labeled "horror"..."Bizarre " would better describe them. The collection is in itself "unique". If you are looking for real horror that will creep you out...search on. However if you are looking for short stories that are psychologically twisted and have some surprising endings...then you will enjoy this little book. ( )
  Carol420 | Jan 26, 2018 |

Hill, Joeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Chong, VincentCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Riffel, HannesTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Leanora: We are my favorite story.
A month before his deadline, Eddie Carroll ripped open a manila envelope, and a magazine called The True North Literary Review slipped out into his hands.
Please do not combine this anthology, 20th Century Ghosts with the short story "20th Century Ghost," contained herein.

Anthology contents:

Collects these stories:
"Best New Horror"
"20th Century Ghost"
"Pop Art"
"You Will Hear the Locust Sing"
"Abraham's Boys"
"Better than Home"
"The Black Phone"
"In the Rundown"
"The Cape"
"Last Breath"
"Dead-Wood"
"The Widow's Breakfast"
"Bobby Conroy Comes Back from the Dead"
"My Father's Mask"
"Voluntary Commital"

Introduction by Christopher Golden

Imogene is young and beautiful. She kisses like a movie star and knows everything about every film ever made. She's also dead and waiting in the Rosebud Theater for Alec Sheldon one afternoon in 1945. . . .

Arthur Roth is a lonely kid with big ideas and a gift for attracting abuse. It isn't easy to make friends when you're the only inflatable boy in town. . . .

Francis is unhappy. Francis was human once, but that was then. Now he's an eight-foot-tall locust and everyone in Calliphora will tremble when they hear him sing. . . .

John Finney is locked in a basement that's stained with the blood of half a dozen other murdered children. In the cellar with him is an antique telephone, long since disconnected, but which rings at night with calls from the dead. . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:38 -0400)

A compilation of short fiction includes the tales of Imogene, the legendary ghost of the Rosebud theater, and Francis, an unhappy, hopeless human turned giant locust seeking revenge on his Nevada hometown.

Joe Hill is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,998,010 books! | Top bar: Always visible