Three Tales of My Father's Dragon by Ruth…

Three Tales of My Father's Dragon (1948)

by Ruth Stiles Gannett

It is no wonder this book has remained loved and recommended. The narrative style reads like a storyteller, describing their childhood as a bedtime story. The plot and description are simple, evocative and easy to understand, making it appeal to a wide range of readers and listener. Adventurous, tender and innocent, this set of three tales are an excellent introductory collection to fantasy. ( )
  LibbyHopfauf | Mar 18, 2014 |
Cute little story(s) about a boy and a dragon, and the old alley cat who starts the whole thing. The dragon is as intelligent, and about as adult, as the 9-year-old boy - so are a great many other creatures, from lions to cows to canaries, that the two of them deal with. The stories' origin as bedtime stories seems clear to me - there's also mention of another story that's not told, about Flute the canary and how he was released. A very enjoyable children's book. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Aug 3, 2013 |
'My Father's Dragon" is a charming collection of three stories by Ruth Stiles Gannett. It involves a young boy who befriends his father's dragon after rescuing him. Resourcefulness and kindness are two of the major themes.

Breton Kaiser-Shinn ( )
  Breton07 | Apr 8, 2013 |
Writing styles for children's books have change over time; and many books don't age well. This one (actually these since it's a series of three books and not just one) is not one of them. While the stories were written around the mid-40s, they're whimsical enough and aimed at a young enough crowd to not feel too out of place in today's world. Overall they were fun reads for my family. My kids enjoyed hearing the stories, and I enjoyed the glimpse back into a simpler world. ( )
  TnTexas | Apr 1, 2013 |
This is a wonderful story. Elmer gets himself into and out of the most incredible predicaments by using only his ingenuity and tools in his backpack - never harming anyone or anything. There is an audio book as well. We listened to the audio book so much that my children knew the map in the book by heart before ever seeing the book! ( )
  the4otts | Mar 7, 2013 |
For my Father
For Michael and Peter
For Sharly and Peggy
One cold rainy day when my father was a little boy, he met an old alley cat on his street.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679889116, Hardcover)

My Father's Dragon--a favorite of young readers since the 1940s and a Newbery honor book--captures the nonsensical logic of childhood in an amusingly deadpan fashion. The story begins when Elmer Elevator (the narrator's father as a boy) runs away with an old alley cat to rescue a flying baby dragon being exploited on a faraway island. With the help of two dozen pink lollipops, rubber bands, chewing gum, and a fine-toothed comb, Elmer disarms the fiercest of beasts on Wild Island. The quirky, comical adventure ends with a heroic denouement: the freeing of the dragon. Abundant black-and-white lithographs by Ruth Chrisman Gannett (the author's stepmother) add an evocative, lighthearted mood to an already enchanting story. Author Ruth Stiles Gannett's stand-alone sequel, Elmer and the Dragon, and her third volume, The Dragons of Blueland both received starred reviews in School Library Journal and are as fresh and original as her first. (Ages 4 to 8)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:17 -0400)

A compilation of three tales which relate the fantastic adventures of Elmer Elevator and a baby flying dragon named Boris.

100 wanted1 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,696,431 books! | Top bar: Always visible