Playing Loteria / El juego de la loteria by…

Playing Loteria / El juego de la loteria

by Rene Colato Lainez

6813175,945 (4)None

I really enjoyed this book because it related Hispanic culture to daily activities we do, such as visiting grandparents or any relatives, going to festivals, and playing games like Bingo. The story allows the reader to learn more about Hispanic culture of food, an example being when they mention "carne asada" or "churros tamales" and they display pictures of what the food looks like. The boy in the story made a deal with his grandmother or "abuelita" that he would learn Spanish from her and in exchange, he would teach her English. So throughout the story, the content is written in both English and Spanish. Having both languages in the book embraces diversity and allows people who are bilingual to show their knowledge of those languages to others. The language of the story is also complex because words in Spanish are mixed in with the English translation so a new reader may struggle reading the book.
The main message of the story is perseverance because the boy never stopped learning Spanish and in the end, knew so much more Spanish than when he started. The book also teachers people that It can be fun and exciting to learn a new language and to try something different. ( )
  EmilyCrowe | Oct 7, 2017 |
I thought this multicultural book was good but, it was a little long for me. I don't know how children in K-2 would be able to sit through this book which is why I gave the book a 4 out of 5 stars. The main message of the story was the importance of learning other people's cultures and that you will never be aware of a connection you have with another person if you don't take the time to get to know them. The illustrations throughout the book matched with the emotions of the characters throughout the story and how they were feeling at the given moment. I liked how the book was written in both English and Spanish with each language being written in their own separate paragraph. I thought this idea was perfect because it allows people who are learning Spanish or English the chance to learn the other language's vocabulary. A common symbol I saw throughout the book was that all the cards shown throughout the book were the vocabulary words the boy was trying to learn throughout his trip with his grandmother. These vocabulary words were also the words that were associated with the game they were playing and the words the boy was able to master in Spanish before going back home. Overall, this book was easy to read but in my opinion, I can't see young kids being able to sit through this whole entire book in one sitting. ( )
  lUsui1 | Sep 17, 2017 |
In my opinion, this is an excellent book to keep in a classroom because its serves as a wonderful example of multicultural literature. In the story, a boy connects to his Latino heritage by visiting his grandmother and learning both her culture and later her language. From the beginning, the author and illustrator make the culture seem inviting and exciting, with bright, engaging pictures and by describing a carnival that is occurring. The author also connects the two languages, English and Spanish, by writing the story in each language on the pages. This allows for students with differing native languages to enjoy the story, as well as helps make connections between the languages for readers and serve as a language learning tool.
In the story, the little boy endeavors to learn his abuela’s language when he discovers the game of La Loteria and wants to be a part of it. Throughout the story, the grandmother makes learning Spanish fun, for instance during the learning of the word ‘rooster’ the boy narrated that “Abuela and I stood up and walked like roosters. We flapped our arms like wings”. The author’s decision to make learning Spanish fun for the little boy will inspire an excitement to learn in young readers as well. The author’s main message was: learning about someone else’s culture can be fun and exciting.
The last page of the book includes directions for creation and implementation of the La Loteria game. This meaningful game allowed the boy to learn Spanish and about his grandmother’s world, and by placing the rules in the back of the book the author invites all readers to also explore the culture and language outlined in the story. ( )
  elaine.shea | Mar 6, 2017 |
I liked reading the children’s book, “Playing Loteria/El juego de la loteria” for two reasons. First, the combinations of the Spanish and English language on each side of the page help readers comprehend the translations between both languages. Students are able to understand the content of the book, depending on the language they speak. It also helps students learn a different language and learn about a different culture. Students gain a greater appreciation for other cultures if they are exposed to them and able to learn more about a specific culture from a classmate’s perspective. An example of the translation would be when the grandmother stated, “Muy bien, estas hablando espanol!” This translates to “Very good, you are speaking Spanish!” Additionally, the characters in the children’s book illustrate a supportive grandmother trying to teach her granddaughter how to speak Spanish. The grandmother stated, “Let’s make a deal. I teach you all 54 phrases and you teach me some English. But don’t call me Grandma, please! Call me abuela.” This quotation represents the importance of family and keeping one’s culture alive. When learning a new language, it is important to never forget your native language and cultural heritage. It also shows support of all students trying to learn a new language. Finally, the big idea/message of this picturebook is the importance of family, cultural heritage, and staying true to your identity despite a new environment. Acceptance is an important theme in the text, and something that should be supported by everyone. ( )
  KristenZdon | Feb 27, 2017 |
I liked this book mainly because of the language. The book uses bilingual language to highlight a situation that many children have in their families, a grandparent with a different primary language. Throughout the book, a young boy learns Spanish from his grandmother while he teaches her English. The book intertwines English and Spanish language together, much like the way the characters’ two culture entwine. With the language, readers can feel the bond strengthen between the boy and his grandmother. The big idea in this story is to illustrate a bond between a grandmother and grandson, even with a language barrier. ( )
  rweska1 | Feb 26, 2017 |

Together a little boy and his grandma discover a world of language and realize that loved ones have special ways of understanding each other.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:35 -0400)

A boy has a good time attending a fair with his grandmother in San Luis de La Paz, Mexico, as she teaches him Spanish words and phrases and he teaches her English.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,623,498 books! | Top bar: Always visible