The Third Jesus: The Christ We Cannot Ignore…

The Third Jesus: The Christ We Cannot Ignore

by Deepak Chopra

Recently added bySteveDuke, private library, flye-by-nyte, EJALLibrary, widhidana, Lane0525

this is definitely one that could be read again and again in order to really digest what is being said. a lot of it deals with the individual and spirituality rather than organized religion. many valid points, and it also gives exercises and examples to work on in your daily life. ( )
  mawls | Apr 4, 2013 |
I was never a fan of Deepak Chopra, sometimes I think he talks out of his ear, but I was intrigued by the title of this book, I skimmed through it in the library and it looked interesting enough for me to at least give it a shot. At first, I had a huge chip on my shoulder, I thought "This guy is a flake", "He doesn't know Jesus from Joe". But I kept reading, because the more I read the better the book seemed. I didn't agree with some stuff he said, but some of what he wrote was enlightening. And by the end of the book, though still not of fan of Chopra's, I had to appreciate the effort that went into this book. He does admit he is not a commited Christian, which is why I initially thought this book would be full of bull, but maybe it takes someone who approaches the religion from the outside to see how it works (or doesn't). The chip is no longer on my shoulder, and I am thinking a little differently about Jesus. I cannot say this is the best inspirational book I've ever read, but it was worth the read.

Deepak talks about Jesus and religion today. How today's Christian doesn't know the real Jesus, how the church hides and misuses doctrine. He takes passages from the Bible and attempts to explain them for the average person to understand. This is where the chip on the shoulder comes in, how can someone who is not Christian explain the Bible to me? However, he does a pretty good job, I think he's explained it better than people who have been Christian all of their life. ( )
  busy91 | Aug 21, 2009 |
Discussion was much better than the actual reading of the book. ( )
  medixon | Dec 15, 2008 |
thorough interpretations of various jesus messages relative to our beliefs. Chopra is very good. ( )
1 vote hammockqueen | Jul 2, 2008 |
Chopra... preaches with the authority of a healer, mystic and celebrity on virtually everything... His ideas are either saving us from ruin or slowly poisoning us, but they’re in the water. Still, I don’t really get “The Third Jesus.” Even its title is a head-scratcher.

Who is Jesus Christ?

In The Third Jesus, bestselling author and spiritual leader Deepak Chopra provides an answer to this question that is both a challenge to current systems of belief and a fresh perspective on what Jesus can teach us all, regardless of our religious background. There is not one Jesus, Chopra writes, but three.

First, there is the historical Jesus, the man who lived more than two thousand years ago and whose teachings are the foundation of Christian theology and thought. Next there is Jesus the Son of God, who has come to embody an institutional religion with specific dogma, a priesthood, and devout believers. And finally, there is the third Jesus, the cosmic Christ, the spiritual guide whose teaching embraces all humanity, not just the church built in his name. He speaks to the individual who wants to find God as a personal experience, to attain what some might call grace, or God-consciousness, or enlightenment.

When we take Jesus literally, we are faced with the impossible. How can we truly “love thy neighbor as thyself”? But when we see the exhortations of Jesus as invitations to join him on a higher spiritual plane, his words suddenly make sense.

Ultimately, Chopra argues, Christianity needs to overcome its tendency to be exclusionary and refocus on being a religion of personal insight and spiritual growth. In this way Jesus can be seen for the universal teacher he truly is–someone whose teachings of compassion, tolerance, and understanding can embrace and be embraced by all of us.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:24 -0400)

Who is Jesus Christ? Spiritual leader Chopra provides an answer that is both a challenge to current systems of belief and a fresh perspective on what Jesus can teach us all, regardless of our religious background. There is not one Jesus, but three. First, the historical Jesus, who lived more than two thousand years ago and whose teachings are the foundation of Christian thought. Next there is the Son of God, who embodies an institutional religion with dogma, a priesthood, and believers. And finally, the cosmic Christ, the spiritual guide whose teaching embraces all humanity. He speaks to the individual who wants to find God as a personal experience, to attain what some might call grace, or enlightenment. Ultimately, Chopra argues, Christianity needs to overcome its tendency to be exclusionary and refocus on being a religion of personal insight and spiritual growth, so that Jesus can be seen for the universal teacher he truly is.--From publisher description.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,481,288 books! | Top bar: Always visible