The Wednesday Sisters: A Novel by Meg Waite…

The Wednesday Sisters: A Novel (edition 2008)

by Meg Waite Clayton

Member:DevourerOfBooks
Title:The Wednesday Sisters: A Novel
Authors:Meg Waite Clayton
Info:Ballantine Books (2008), Hardcover, 320 pages
Collections:Uncollected, Your library, To read
Tags:LT-inspired, ER Title, fiction, ARC

The Wednesday Sisters by Meg Waite Clayton

The Women's Room by Marilyn French (nancyewhite)
    nancyewhite: Another exploration of how the women's movement changed the lives of a group of women.
    The Jane Austen Book Club by Karen Joy Fowler (khuggard)
    khuggard: Another novel about the intertwining lives of women.
    Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons by Lorna Landvik (RoxieF)

I really enjoyed this book and getting to know each of the characters, their relationships, and the struggles they had. The book made me laugh, made me cry, and made me think of the groups of friends I have and how important each of them are to me. ( )
  kim.jacobs | May 13, 2014 |
To use the author's words I think it was a little "familiar".

However, this made for great discussion in book club. The setting of the turbulent times and changing women's roles made interesting conversation between women who grew up in that era and younger ones. ( )
  FAR2MANYBOOKS | Apr 5, 2014 |
To use the author's words I think it was a little "familiar".

FAR2MANYBOOKS | Apr 5, 2014 |
In 1967, on a Wednesday morning, five women meet each other in a park in San Francisco. They are watching their children play, discussing their husbands’ jobs, and talking about current events. As they share their daily lives and chat about what brought them to the city, they discover that although they have completely different backgrounds, they all have a something in common: the secret desire to become writers. Over the next decade: one of turmoil, historical firsts, and radical shifts in America, and in their own families, they continue meeting together and encouraging each other to write.

I loved this idea of showing what it was like to be a housewife, married to a soon-to-be successful husband in this era of free love, where women burned bras, and protest marches happened in the city. And there are the characters; each woman is so real that they seemed like personal friends. As a writer, I have been blessed by women like them, so for me, this story touched my heart. Also, Meg Waite Clayton perfectly hit on all the angst writers feel about their work and the publishing industry. This is the first book I’ve read of hers (found her on facebook) and I’m excited to see that there is a sequel called The Wednesday Daughters, which of course, are the children of the Wednesday Sisters. I’m recommending this to my writer friends—published or not—and to women, especially those who remember those not—so—long—ago days. I read this 5 star gem on Kindle. ( )
  PamelaBarrett | Oct 13, 2013 |
I loved the way this book was about the group of women as a whole, rather than focusing on just one woman. Including world events of the times, added a nice element to the book. It really helped put these women's experiences into perspective. Well done, inspirational book. ( )
  JLricegirl | Jul 13, 2013 |
Where there is great love, there are always miracles.

--Willa Cather, Death Comes for the Archbishop
To Jenn, my Wednesday Sister, Brenda, my Tuesday one, Mac, my 24/7 everything,
and Chris and Nick, fine purveyors of tooth fairy magic and squid ink
The Wednesday Sisters look like the kind of women who might meet at those fancy coffee shops on University—we do look that way—but we’re not one bit fancy, and we’re not sisters either.

Meet Frankie, Linda, Kath, Brett, and Ally-five women who form a sisterlike bond in the summer of 1968 while tackling the ups and downs of life, love, marriage, and motherhood. As the nation watches a man circle the moon and witnesses the feminist protest at the Miss America Pageant, the Wednesday Sisters, as they come to call themselves, embrace their own wildest dreams-to become writers. A big-hearted literary feast with a few tears and many laughts, The Wednesday Sisters is a story of best friends, both those we met in real life and the ones we find in our favorite books. (back of book)

Five women, one passion, and the unbreakable bond of friendship

When five young mothers–Frankie, Linda, Kath, Ally, and Brett–first meet in a neighborhood park in the late 1960s, their conversations center on marriage, raising children, and a shared love of books. Then one evening, as they gather to watch the Miss America Pageant, Linda admits that she aspires to write a novel herself, and the Wednesday Sisters Writing Society is born. The five women slowly, and often reluctantly, start filling journals, sliding pages into typewriters, and sharing their work. In the process, they explore the changing world around them: the Vietnam War, the race to the moon, and a women’s movement that challenges everything they believe about themselves. At the same time, the friends carry one another through more personal changes–ones brought about by infidelity, longing, illness, failure, and success. With one another’s support and encouragement, the Wednesday Sisters begin to embrace who they are and what they hope to become, welcoming readers to experience, along with them, the power of dreaming big.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:10 -0400)

Five young California homemakers forge a bond of friendship that sustains them through the turbulent 1960s and beyond. Meeting weekly, the Wednesday Sisters share a love of writing, literary classics, and the Miss America Pageant--in a moving testament to the mysterious link between friends.… (more)

Meg Waite Clayton is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Wednesday Sisters by Meg Waite Clayton was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,149,011 books! | Top bar: Always visible