The Wednesday Sisters: A Novel by Meg Waite…

The Wednesday Sisters: A Novel (edition 2008)

by Meg Waite Clayton

Member:DevourerOfBooks
Title:The Wednesday Sisters: A Novel
Authors:Meg Waite Clayton
Info:Ballantine Books (2008), Hardcover, 320 pages
Collections:Uncollected, Your library, To read
Tags:LT-inspired, ER Title, fiction, ARC

The Wednesday Sisters by Meg Waite Clayton

The Women's Room by Marilyn French (nancyewhite)
    nancyewhite: Another exploration of how the women's movement changed the lives of a group of women.
    The Jane Austen Book Club by Karen Joy Fowler (khuggard)
    khuggard: Another novel about the intertwining lives of women.
    Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons by Lorna Landvik (RoxieF)

I didn’t know what to expect when I started this book. I had read that it was a book about 5 women who met while taking their children to the park – and started a special friendship. They discover a shared interest in literature and writing – and start meeting once a week to encourage each other’s literary efforts. I was thinking this would be a “light” book – but it isn’t. The book is about the deep friendship that can develop between women who have gone through very serious things together (breakups of a marriage – health issues – racial segregation - struggles with self-identity). All of these problems are discussed – against the backdrop of our country in flux. The book is set during the late 1960’s, early 1970’s - a time when the US had to deal with many important issues. The author does an incredible job of letting us into the lives of these women (and the personal concerns they each faced), as well as reminding us of the issues facing the nation then. Even though the book deals with some very serious problems – it isn’t a depressing book. It is simply a book about women – dealing with women’s issues (something we all do everyday). The author has written a sequel – about the daughters of some of these women – and I look forward to reading it. ( )
  peggy.s | Jan 25, 2016 |
I liked this one very much! It was a little slow for me to get into, but I think that's because I could not spend any quality time with it at the outset. However, once I started reading, I couldn't put it down. I feel as if I am a part of this group, and care about the characters very much.

The group is formed under very realistic circumstances and I can imagine this happening in any park in any part of the world, with any group of women. The timeline was used in a fantastic way with bits of history thrown in to lend reference, appeal, move the story and invest the reader. The ladies grew and matured with the story, each one developing and unfolding as any real woman would. Every personality was represented here, making it even more lifelike and endearing. The tears didn't come for me until page 267, and I breathed a sigh of satisfaction at the last paragraph.

Wonderful, recommended book. Can't wait to read more by this author!
  CarmenMilligan | Jan 18, 2016 |
During the late 1960s, five totally different women find themselves consistently meeting together every Wednesday at a park in Palo Alto, California. Initially defined by what their husbands do, these young homemakers and mothers are all fairly far removed from the Summer of Love. The 'Wednesday Sisters', as the ladies begin to call themselves - Frankie, Linda, Kath, Ally and Brett - actually don't seem to have much more in common with each other beyond a shared love of literature and the 'Miss America Pageant'.

Frankie is a timid transplant from Chicago; brutally honest and blunt Linda is a remarkable athlete; Kath is a Kentucky-bred debutante; quiet Ally has a secret that she has been keeping to herself; and quirky, ultra-intelligent Brett always makes sure to wear white gloves with her miniskirts. Yet somehow these five women find a way - over the course of nearly four decades - to redefine the meaning of the word family. By sharing their mutual admiration for the work of such authors as F. Scott Fitzgerald, George Eliot, Jane Austen, Daphne du Maurier, Sylvia Plath, and Charles Dickens and watching the 'Miss America Pageant' on television together each year; the ladies form an extraordinarily strong and lasting bond that will sustain all of them through the years.

As the years roll on and their children grow older, the quintet forms a writers' circle to express their hopes and dreams through writing poetry, stories, and, eventually, books. Along the way, this talented sisterhood also experiences history in the making - Vietnam, the race to put a man on the moon, and a women's movement that challenges everything that they have ever thought about themselves. All the while, the ladies support each other through the various personal struggles that they experience in their own lives: the changes to each of them that come from infedelity, longing, illness, failure, and success. The Wednesday Sisters is a humorous and poignant novel; a literary feast for book lovers that earns a place among those popular works that honor the joyful, mysterious, unbreakable bonds between friends.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. In my opinion, the story was very well-written and wonderfully historically detailed; I found that this author worked the various historical events into the story in a realistic and completely believable way. While I appreciated the detailed historical context - and thoroughly enjoyed reading this book because of it - I must say that I actually loved reading the stories of the 'Wednesday Sisters' themselves; their own personal life stories, slightly more than the historical context. I would give this book a definite A+! and am eagerly awaiting the chance to read Ms. Clayton's sequel: The Wednesday Daughters. ( )
  moonshineandrosefire | Nov 21, 2015 |
The story was enjoyable, but there was far too much backstory. The main speaker jumped around a lot from past events, to referencing present times or what she knows now, then going back to the past event. It disrupted the story a lot; it probably would have been a more enjoyable read if it was straight-forward chronological.

There was also a bit too much history, and that took away from the story. I found myself getting caught up in the story, then the next chapter would start by announcing the year, what the president was up to, what women were fighting for, etc. While I see how it contributed to the story, the author should figure her readers are smart enough to know any cultural references thrown in without having to explain them.

That being said, I did like the book. It was a bit long, a bit wordy (with the historical details), but parts of it made me cry, and parts were so beautifully written they took my breath away. The story stands strong but is not really unique, and it is written in a way that makes it hard to really identify with the characters. I had a hard time keeping their names matched with their personalities. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Nov 4, 2015 |
I really enjoyed this book! It's one of those kind of books that you can read for hours on end (translation - not terribly challenging, but nicely entertaining.) A nice, chic-lit sort of book. Worthwhile for sure.

rosemaryknits | Oct 31, 2015 |
Where there is great love, there are always miracles.

--Willa Cather, Death Comes for the Archbishop
To Jenn, my Wednesday Sister, Brenda, my Tuesday one, Mac, my 24/7 everything,
and Chris and Nick, fine purveyors of tooth fairy magic and squid ink
The Wednesday Sisters look like the kind of women who might meet at those fancy coffee shops on University—we do look that way—but we’re not one bit fancy, and we’re not sisters either.

Meet Frankie, Linda, Kath, Brett, and Ally-five women who form a sisterlike bond in the summer of 1968 while tackling the ups and downs of life, love, marriage, and motherhood. As the nation watches a man circle the moon and witnesses the feminist protest at the Miss America Pageant, the Wednesday Sisters, as they come to call themselves, embrace their own wildest dreams-to become writers. A big-hearted literary feast with a few tears and many laughts, The Wednesday Sisters is a story of best friends, both those we met in real life and the ones we find in our favorite books. (back of book)

Five women, one passion, and the unbreakable bond of friendship

When five young mothers–Frankie, Linda, Kath, Ally, and Brett–first meet in a neighborhood park in the late 1960s, their conversations center on marriage, raising children, and a shared love of books. Then one evening, as they gather to watch the Miss America Pageant, Linda admits that she aspires to write a novel herself, and the Wednesday Sisters Writing Society is born. The five women slowly, and often reluctantly, start filling journals, sliding pages into typewriters, and sharing their work. In the process, they explore the changing world around them: the Vietnam War, the race to the moon, and a women’s movement that challenges everything they believe about themselves. At the same time, the friends carry one another through more personal changes–ones brought about by infidelity, longing, illness, failure, and success. With one another’s support and encouragement, the Wednesday Sisters begin to embrace who they are and what they hope to become, welcoming readers to experience, along with them, the power of dreaming big.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:53 -0400)

Five young California homemakers forge a bond of friendship that sustains them through the turbulent 1960s and beyond. Meeting weekly, the Wednesday Sisters share a love of writing, literary classics, and the Miss America Pageant--in a moving testament to the mysterious link between friends.… (more)

Meg Waite Clayton is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Wednesday Sisters by Meg Waite Clayton was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,015,133 books! | Top bar: Always visible