Dead Reckoning by Patricia Hall
191537,190 (2.67)None

My local library's crime section has tons of books by Patricia Hall and I keep passing them up. Last time I was in there I picked one up and it sounded ok, so I brought it home. This is from the middle of a long running series set in "Bradfield", a poorish city a short hop from Leeds - that's a very thinly disguised Bradford then. It's a male cop and girl reporter setup but so are some of my favourite crime series. In the beginning I wasn't very into it, but it grew on me. There are some good in depth characters, some rather stereotyped ones, but no really cardboardy ones. The plot worked out ok - lots of race relations, worries about terrorism and failing textile mills - it rang pretty true to me. A quick read, nothing very special but I'll probably pick another in the series up another time. ( )
  nocto | Dec 13, 2010 |

Earnshaw's Mill, one of last remaining foundations of Bradfield's industrial heritage, harkening back to Yorkshire's glorious past, has seen better days. As the times have changed, the future of the Earnshaw mill has become even more uncertain. With impending staff cuts necessary to keep the mill alive, the union is unhappy and the workers are threatening to strike. Racial tensions are already high enough in Bradfield's Muslim community, so with the possibility of large unemployment in town looming, trouble is in the air.

When one of the Earnshaw children turns up dead, DCI Michael Thackeray heads up the investigation into his death. The victim, a major shareholder in the company, has left no will and the future of the mill has become even more unclear.

In the meantime, Thackeray's girlfriend, reporter Laura Ackroyd, is researching a story on the racial tensions in the Muslim community. After witnessing a hostile race-related mishap on the street, she wanted to take a closer look at the circumstances underlying Bradfield's racial problems. Then she learns about the case of Saira Khan, a gifted student from a Muslim family who has gone missing and her story takes off, plunging her right into the middle of an escalating crisis. As both industrial and race relations reach the boiling point, Patricia Hall is at the top of her game in this gripping and emotional novel.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:29 -0400)

Mystery. When the heir to the racially divided Earnshaw mill of Yorkshire is murdered, DCI Michael Thackeray investigates the case alongside reporter Laura Ackroyd, who is covering the story of a Pakistani womans disappearance. By the author of Deep Freeze.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,378,738 books! | Top bar: Always visible