A People's History of American Empire by…

A People's History of American Empire

by Howard Zinn, Paul Buhle, Mike Konopacki

4682022,128 (3.9)8

Obviously, considering my own biases, I loved this book. It makes me really sad about our imperialist history and even though it ended on a note of hope I don't feel. However, I also know that it's not just the U.S. at fault. It's human greed and capitalism in general. So yeah ... I guess read this if you're anti-war. ( )
  Sareene | Oct 22, 2016 |
The graphic format ultimately seems to be little more than a "Let's Make This Appealing to People Who Don't Like to Read" trope. ( )
  jtodd1973 | Jun 30, 2016 |
At one time I thought that graphic novels or graphic adaptations were rather childish and not true literature. This is the third one I have read and it is the best. It was very powerful and thought provoking. I think that the illustrations made an even more powerful statement than the written word. This book tells the history of the American Empire, but more from the point of view of the losers rather than the winners. It gives the "behind the scene" story of many of the wars and conflicts the United States has engaged in, beginning with some of the Native American conflicts and going up to the Iraq War. This is not your grade school or even your college history text book. It is not light reading, even in this format. It is a book I would highly recommend to anyone who is seeking "the rest of the story" regarding American history. ( )
  TheresaCIncinnati | Aug 17, 2015 |
Howard Zinn, as always, sees history from the point of view of people, not nations.

From the point of view of a nation, conquest is good, and war is strategic. From the point of view of individual people, not so much. He makes this clear.

I would like to teach from this book but will have to dance a very nimble dance not to seem like a crazy hippie. Zinn doesn't make up his facts, but they are the ones that school textbooks tend to gloss over.
  JuliaMira | Feb 25, 2015 |
A great tool for teachers to help explain the history of the US in a fun but very informative way. ( )
  Zissou54 | Apr 23, 2014 |
The comic book form is a great way of delivering this message, the spreads mix text, cartoons, reproductions of historical documents and photos, making the whole thing visual, dynamic, and absolutely captivating.
added by lampbane | editBoing Boing, Cory Doctorow (Aug 18, 2008)

I was stunned to discover that I couldn’t force myself past the second chapter. It’s much too hectoring and didactic, even to those already inclined to be interested in reading a “greatest hits of America’s sins”.

Howard Zinnprimary authorall editionscalculated
Buhle, Paulmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Konopacki, Mikemain authorall editionsconfirmed

Adapted from the bestselling grassroots history of the United States, the story of America in the world, told in comics form

Since its landmark publication in 1980, A People’s History of the United States has had six new editions, sold more than 1.7 million copies, become required classroom reading throughout the country, and been turned into an acclaimed play. More than a successful book, A People’s History triggered a revolution in the way history is told, displacing the official versions with their emphasis on great men in high places to chronicle events as they were lived, from the bottom up.

Now Howard Zinn, historian Paul Buhle, and cartoonist Mike Konopacki have collaborated to retell, in vibrant comics form, a most immediate and relevant chapter of A People’s History: the centuries-long story of America’s actions in the world. Narrated by Zinn, this version opens with the events of 9/11 and then jumps back to explore the cycles of U.S. expansionism from Wounded Knee to Iraq, stopping along the way at World War I, Central America, Vietnam, and the Iranian revolution. The book also follows the story of Zinn, the son of poor Jewish immigrants, from his childhood in the Brooklyn slums to his role as one of America’s leading historians.

Shifting from world-shattering events to one family’s small revolutions, A People’s History of American Empire presents the classic ground-level history of America in a dazzling new form.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:38 -0400)

Adapted from the critically acclaimed chronicle of U.S. history, a study of American expansionism around the world is told from a grassroots perspective and provides an analysis of important events from Wounded Knee to Iraq.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,737,449 books! | Top bar: Always visible