Girl v. Boy by Yvonne Collins

Girl v. Boy (2008)

by Yvonne Collins

At her Chicago high school, Luisa Perez is nothing special. But Luisa is content with her life, working part-time in a diner and hanging out with her two best friends, forever looking out for her Future Boyfriend. When she gets offered an anonymous gig as a newspaper columnist covering the city-wide fundraising competition promoting literacy, she is surprised but she accepts. Luisa isn't the only one writing the column however. Since the competion is boy versus girls, she will be sharing the column with an anonymous male writer who's opinions differ greatly for her own. This book covers a very hectic semester as Luisa deals with her floundering love life, antagonistic Queen Bees, and sparring with her male counterpart, Scoop, in a battle of the sexes.

This book was cute. Not overly fluffy- there were mentions of sex and whatnot- but it was definitely a light-hearted read. While the ending was pretty predictable, there were unexpected moments on the way there. Luisa was a likable enough character. Smart enough to be believable columnist, but very very confused over boys. I'm sure some readers will absolutely adore her column.....even though I found Scoop's a tad bit better. Does that make me a traitor to my sex? Not really. Anyway, I really liked this book had a predomintanly Hispanic cast, but didn't try too hard to seem hispanic. Usually I get blinded with Spanish sayings I don't understand.

It's a cute book. I'm sure some readers will eat it up. There were some funny moments, there were some witty moments. For me, though, it was just all right. I recommend it as a light library read.

Oh. And sucky cover, BTW. ( )
  Awesomeness1 | Jul 12, 2010 |
Reviewed by Jaglvr for TeensReadToo.com

How do you stand out when there are nine other girls in your sophomore class that share the same name as you do - Luisa Perez? You don't. At least that's what Lu Perez has told herself.

However, after the first assembly of the school year at Colonel Dumpfield (excuse me, DUNFIELD) High School in Chicago, things will change for Lu. Principal Buzzkill (excuse me again, Alvarez) announces that the Mayor of Chicago is holding a Literacy Challenge. The prize - whichever school raises the most money for the cause will have a month off for winter break. Principal Alvarez decides that it will be a girl versus boy battle at Dunfield, and the team that shows the most initiative will receive three bonus days off over the spring holiday.

The battle lines have been drawn, and the school quickly goes to war trying to come up with the best fundraisers. But for Lu, the challenge is a bit different. Her English teacher, Mr. Sparling, has a proposition for her. The school newspaper wants to run anonymous articles chronicling the efforts of both sides. There will be an anonymous writer for the girls' team, and another one for the males.

What starts out as harmless banter between the two journalists dissing the opposing team's attempts at fundraising soon turns to a real battle of the sexes. Lu, still in the background, has noticed the popular girls taking up the causes written about in her anonymous Newshound articles. To make matters even more complicated, Lu is convinced that every boy that shows an interest in her is the guys' anonymous author.

Join Lu and the cast of characters that join forces to try and help Colonel Dunfield High win the precious winter break vacation. Lu has many romantic entanglements as well as drama at home to keep the reader interested until the surprise events at the Literacy Gala announcing the city's winner of the Literacy Challenge.

Ms. Collins & Ms. Rideout write a fun, youthful battle of the sexes. The articles between Newshound and Scoop keep the story entertaining and gives the reader an inside glimpse of what boys and girls are really thinking. The reader gets to see Lu grow in confidence and come out of the anonymity of being one of ten girls named Luisa Perez in her class. ( )
  GeniusJen | Oct 11, 2009 |
Luisa Perez and her best friends have mastered the art of not participating in their high school, Dunfield aka “Dumpfield”’s extracurricular activities. That is, until sophomore year brings a literacy challenge to the city, girls against boys. The prize for which group raises the most money for literacy awareness? Extra weeks of winter break.

Lu is snagged to write an anonymous column about the fundraising effort, exchanging words with a male counterpart. The debate between “Scoop” and “Newshound” becomes heated and turns into a battle of the sexes, and their column gains more popularity as a result.

However, heated exchanges occur in other aspects of Lu’s life, too. Her family life is not the best, what with her overbearing older sister constantly talking her down, and having to fend off the raucous male factory workers at the diner where she works. But there are plenty of opportunities for possible romance—sometimes in the most unexpected of places…unless the effects of the literacy column destroy any chance that Lu has at love.

GIRL V. BOY was a pleasant, if predictable, read. I have trouble describing how I felt about it, and yet when I was reading it I couldn’t put it down. Lu and her friends and classmates are fun to read about. The ending was predictable, yes, but the beginning and middle were not as predictable, thus sparing me from reading something painfully boring. That being said, GIRL V. BOY was definitely an enjoyable read that will appeal to high school girls looking for a hearty dose of rapid-fire battle-of-the-sexes dialogue and a solid romance. ( )
1 vote stephxsu | Mar 26, 2009 |
This one's another teen story about an outsider. Luisa has two best friends, but she doesn't mix with other kids at school or participate in any activities. That changes when she starts writing an anonymous column for the school paper. Hijinx ensue, natuarally.

I liked that the book was about a bunch of mostly Hispanic teens in Chicago. And none of them are wealthy or fabulously gorgeous, except the stock evil, queen-bee bully, Mariah. That's pretty rare, in my experience. The kids were likeable and pretty realistic, although it did require a healthy suspension of disbelief that Luisa would all of a sudden attract not one, not two, but four cute boys at the same time.

It's a good read and recommended, though the ending was a bit too tidy for my taste and the big plot reveal was foreshadowed a little too much.
1 vote haloolah | Jul 1, 2008 |
For our mothers, Maria Collins and Bea Rideout
I glance around the auditorium, trying to take everything in without looking like I'm remotely interested.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 142310157X, Hardcover)

All’s not fair in love, war, and high school journalism

Sixteen-year-old Luisa Perez is not looking to win any awards for school spirit. In fact, she and her friends make it a point to avoid all activities considered “extra-curricular.” So when her English teacher volunteers her to be an anonymous columnist for the school paper, Luisa’s first impulse is to run. But, unlike her high-school dropout sister, Luisa does want to go to college—it may be her only ticket out of a life spent working at the cowboy-themed diner where she waitresses part time—and it would be nice to something on her applications.

Her first assignment is to cover her high school's latest fundraiser, which pits the girls against the boys. Luisa will cover the events from the female POV, while another anonymous writer provides the male perspective—or, at least, that’s how it begins. The two columnists soon find themselves engaged in an epic battle of the sexes—a battle that Luisa is determined to win. Just who does this guy think he is, encouraging his peers to act like Neanderthals with their girlfriends? And why can’t Luisa shake the very sinking feeling that her new unidentified nemesis might also be her new boyfriend?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:37 -0400)

Sixteen-year-old Lu Perez epitomizes her school's lack of spirit, but as an anonymous columnist reporting on a fundraising competition that pits school against school and boy against girl, she and her co-columnist engage in a battle of the sexes with huge ramifications.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,971,025 books! | Top bar: Always visible