The New Rules of Lifting for Women: Lift…

The New Rules of Lifting for Women: Lift Like a Man, Look Like a Goddess

by Lou Schuler

An excellent guide to strength training and nutrition for women backed by science and research. It's easy to read and tongue-in-cheek which I appreciate. Highly recommend it for women looking to get stronger and that want to step away from the "barbie" weights. ( )
  MichelleCH | Apr 5, 2013 |
There's a lot of misinformation floating around about women and strength training. This book goes a long way to correct that, and I applaud it.

I didn't like this quite as well as [b:New Rules of Lifting: Six Basic Moves for Maximum Muscle|48730|New Rules of Lifting Six Basic Moves for Maximum Muscle|Lou Schuler|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1170356434s/48730.jpg|13094485], primarily because it was clogged up with a lot of recipes. I don't read weightlifting books for the recipes. I read 'em for the routines. But again, solid science, interesting workouts, and a pleasant amount of scorn for "pink Barbie weights" that do nothing for anyone.

The routine seemed quite good, and maybe after I finish the 6 or 8 month NROL: Men routine, I'll give this one a try. But I'm not going to cook from the book. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
New Rules for Women: At first glance, I was not totally pleased. But...once I started reading the material, I was glad I purchased the book. The author uses fact and humor which makes for a more enjoyable read. I will incorporate some of the info. I have obtained through this book in my work-outs for myself as well as my clients.
  lonepalm | Dec 8, 2011 |
take your place in the weight room!!!: Why, oh why, do women think they should do 50 reps with 2 pounds? Ladies, you are picking up 40 pound children, 20 pound grocery bags, 8 pounds of milk to pour on your cereal...You have not bulked up from these activities you do everyday, so...you won't bulk up in the weight room. There are a small percentage of women who happen to be extremely athletic, and these are the women you see who are huge, but what are the chances that you are one of these women? Don't you think you would have noticed it by now? Let me tell you how it really is: Weight training is like going to school. If you do it regularly, and do your homework, you will graduate and learn something along the way. If you cram, or mess around, you will fail. Truly, when you weight train, you are building a mountain one shovelful at a time. All you get to do is put one shovelful of dirt on the pile per day. So one day of work does not look very impressive, but after awhile, the pile gets pretty big. THAT is what weightlifting is...slow and steady wins the race. Please do not imagine that there are any quick fixes. Go into the weight room, do squats and deadlifts like you are a man, and you will look like you are a GIRL again. Not like your mother. PS: I do a modified powerlifting routine, I work out with the heaviest weights I can possibly lift with proper form, I strive to add weight every time I go to the gym, I've worked out religiously for 15 months, and I weigh 126 pounds at 5'5". I look better now than I have in my entire life. Do yourself a favor and learn to lift heavy!!!
1 vote lonepalm | Dec 8, 2011 |
Ok, crappy title aside (look like a goddess...seriously?), I really liked this book. It had tons of great information in it about why you might not lose or why you may even gain weight while strength training (though you'll probably lose inches) and I liked that it's finally a program not based on low weights and high repetitions (women are strong too!). There were a few things I was skeptical about, though. He stressed a lot of protein shakes (one after every single workout) and I'm not sure about that. I hear a lot of different things about how much protein you need so I'm just experimenting to see how my body feels with x amount of protein. I thought the workouts looked good, though. I haven't tried them because I'm currently on a program with a trainer but I'm thinking of purchasing the book so I can try them afterwards.

I like most of the recipes included. They're yummy, low calorie, and high in protein so I've been eating them for breakfast which is when I like to have a lot of protein because lunch for me isn't until about 1:30. His oatmeal pancakes keep you full forever>.

So in short, there were things I liked and things I didn't like. It's a health book and with so many out there on the market telling you a million different things, I think it's advantageous to read them but to think for yourself as well. I would recommend this book mostly for the six month program and the recipes. The information is good, but the workouts and the food would make it worth the cost. ( )
1 vote RebeccaAnn | May 25, 2010 |

Targeted specifically at women, outlines a scientifically based weight-lifting method that focuses on the body's natural abilities, and presents programs for fat loss, muscle gain, and strength improvement.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,464,221 books! | Top bar: Always visible