The New Rules of Lifting for Women: Lift…

The New Rules of Lifting for Women: Lift Like a Man, Look Like a Goddess

by Lou Schuler, Alwyn Cosgrove (Collaborator)

181965,444 (3.96)1

Only read brief sample. Sounds sensible but too brief to tell. Need to browse hardcopy
  Spurts | Oct 29, 2015 |
An excellent guide to strength training and nutrition for women backed by science and research. It's easy to read and tongue-in-cheek which I appreciate. Highly recommend it for women looking to get stronger and that want to step away from the "barbie" weights. ( )
  MichelleCH | Apr 5, 2013 |
There's a lot of misinformation floating around about women and strength training. This book goes a long way to correct that, and I applaud it.

I didn't like this quite as well as [b:New Rules of Lifting: Six Basic Moves for Maximum Muscle|48730|New Rules of Lifting Six Basic Moves for Maximum Muscle|Lou Schuler|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1170356434s/48730.jpg|13094485], primarily because it was clogged up with a lot of recipes. I don't read weightlifting books for the recipes. I read 'em for the routines. But again, solid science, interesting workouts, and a pleasant amount of scorn for "pink Barbie weights" that do nothing for anyone.

The routine seemed quite good, and maybe after I finish the 6 or 8 month NROL: Men routine, I'll give this one a try. But I'm not going to cook from the book. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
New Rules for Women: At first glance, I was not totally pleased. But...once I started reading the material, I was glad I purchased the book. The author uses fact and humor which makes for a more enjoyable read. I will incorporate some of the info. I have obtained through this book in my work-outs for myself as well as my clients.
  lonepalm | Dec 8, 2011 |
take your place in the weight room!!!: Why, oh why, do women think they should do 50 reps with 2 pounds? Ladies, you are picking up 40 pound children, 20 pound grocery bags, 8 pounds of milk to pour on your cereal...You have not bulked up from these activities you do everyday, so...you won't bulk up in the weight room. There are a small percentage of women who happen to be extremely athletic, and these are the women you see who are huge, but what are the chances that you are one of these women? Don't you think you would have noticed it by now? Let me tell you how it really is: Weight training is like going to school. If you do it regularly, and do your homework, you will graduate and learn something along the way. If you cram, or mess around, you will fail. Truly, when you weight train, you are building a mountain one shovelful at a time. All you get to do is put one shovelful of dirt on the pile per day. So one day of work does not look very impressive, but after awhile, the pile gets pretty big. THAT is what weightlifting is...slow and steady wins the race. Please do not imagine that there are any quick fixes. Go into the weight room, do squats and deadlifts like you are a man, and you will look like you are a GIRL again. Not like your mother. PS: I do a modified powerlifting routine, I work out with the heaviest weights I can possibly lift with proper form, I strive to add weight every time I go to the gym, I've worked out religiously for 15 months, and I weigh 126 pounds at 5'5". I look better now than I have in my entire life. Do yourself a favor and learn to lift heavy!!!
1 vote lonepalm | Dec 8, 2011 |

Lou Schulerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cosgrove, AlwynCollaboratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Targeted specifically at women, outlines a scientifically based weight-lifting method that focuses on the body's natural abilities, and presents programs for fat loss, muscle gain, and strength improvement.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,861,657 books! | Top bar: Always visible