A Season in Hell by Jack Higgins

A Season in Hell (1988)

by Jack Higgins

Somehow, attempting to even skim through most of this book has felt like my short season in hell. It did not keep my interest , and it feels almost hard boiled. Perhaps just not the author for me, because I thought I normally liked thrillers. ( )
  FourFreedoms | May 17, 2019 |
  ShiraDest | Mar 6, 2019 |
Higgins jammed about 500 pages into 330 pages. The story is huge in scope and the characters aren't always super-human in their ability to get things done. There is a distinct underlying story of humor as the master spies just seem unable to head off an utterly inexperienced American woman and a seriously crippled SAS person. The playing field extends from NYC to London to Paris and back and then to Sicily and then Northern Ireland before closing in London. ( )
  DeaconBernie | Apr 30, 2016 |
A typical military/spy/English thrill a minute, action packed book. Plenty of twists and turns with the story moving right along. This certainly is not a book for deep reading or thinking and that is as it should be. Every book does not have to rise to the heady heights of "literature."

This is just a ripping yarn where a wealthy woman with pockets deep enough to fly all over the European continent, teams up with ex-military and current intelligence operatives to pursue the truth behind her step-sons death.

When the law can't get it done, she works with the English Underworld, the French Underworld and the Sicilian mafia. Of course a trail of death and destruction lie in her wake but the truth will out.

I personally needed this book as a simple break from reading literary fiction. Sometimes I just want to dive into a simple action or adventure book that doesn't last too long, that I can pick up and put down and that fills my need to read. This is one of those books. No more and no less. I had read other Higgins books and there are a few I really loved so it was an author that I knew and was familiar with.

Just like a chocolate chip cookie, you know what you get - comfort food with words. Cover to cover comfort food. ( )
  ozzieslim | Jan 24, 2016 |
good mystery, undercover agents
murder, drugs - excellent No Sex rare -

Sarah Talbot is determined to avenge the death of her stepson. Sean Egan, ex-SAS sergeant, is at first reluctant to act as assassin, until he discovers a personal link. Together they begin the hunt for a ruthless man whose trade involves not only drugs but also international terrorism.
  christinejoseph | Nov 14, 2015 |

Jack Higginsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kaskimies, HeikkiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0671692712, Mass Market Paperback)

American socialite Sarah Talbot had everything going for her: a multi-million dollar business, a large circle of well-placed friends, and a successful marriage to English aristocrat and army colonel Edward Talbot. Talbot is killed in the Falklands Campaign leaving her with her adored step-son Eric, a student at Cambridge. Then Eric dies in Paris of a drug-overdose, and when Sarah seeks to uncover the mysterious circumstances surrounding his death she finds all official roads to justice are blocked. If she wants satisfaction she must take matters into her own hands. And Sarah is determined: someone must pay. When she meets enigmatic young former SAS sergeant Sean Egan, an eloquent lone gun and the ultimate soldier, she knows she has the weapon she needs. A study in contradictions, Egan is a careful, thoughtful man, but a man to whom killing is as natural as breathing. Together they embark on a quest for revenge that will lead them from London to Paris, to Sicily and Northern Ireland, then back to London and a shattering climax on the dark, brooding wharves of the river Thames. Together Sean and Sarah will plumb the depths of the underworld, a world in which man’s capacity for destruction is almost beyond belief, a world in which revenge truly is a “season in hell."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:35 -0400)

A young widow, Sarah Talbot, is determined to uncover the suspicious circumstances surrounding her beloved stepson's murder.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,349,127 books! | Top bar: Always visible