The confusion by Neal Stephenson

The confusion (original 2004; edition 2004)

by Neal Stephenson

Member:LBrary
Title:The confusion
Authors:Neal Stephenson
Info:New York : William Morrow, c2004.

The Confusion by Neal Stephenson (2004)

Vermeer's Hat: The Seventeenth Century and the Dawn of the Global World by Timothy Brook (Othemts)
    Othemts: Vermeer's Hat contains a good description of Manilla as a trading port in the 17th century. Chinese merchants settled on the outskirts of the city to sell silks. In return they received silver that arrived from New Spain on a galleon once each year.
    The Crimson Heirlooms by Hunter Dennis (Anonymous user)

English (67)  German (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (69)
Two novels are interspersed - the continuing story of Daniel, Jack and Eliza - from Versailles to the Spanish Inquisition in Mexico - non stop adventure... ( )
  cindywho | May 27, 2019 |
The second part of Stephenson's baroque trilogy, historical fiction with a difference. It fuses together (or confuses, to use Stephenson's word), history and adventure, science and philosophy, politics and religion, all told in a tone not usually found in historical fiction, reflecting Stephenson's sci-fi roots. I'm not sure how accurately it reflects the period - probably quite a lot given Stephenson's mastery of a wealth of detail, but the characters have a little too modern a feel so I can't quite shake off a sense of mistrust on that score. I'm sure there will be many who won't like Stephenson's particular mix, but on the whole it works well for me. 27 November 2018. ( )
  alanca | Nov 30, 2018 |
A captivating follow up to Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson. I greatly enjoyed this book and the entire world created by Stephenson. This book continues the story of Jack Shaftoe and Eliza, but introduces many more characters from places all over the world. The plot moves forward quite a bit more than the first novel, and takes us on an adventure literally around the world. I particularly enjoy putting myself in the various cultures of the late 17th century and there were many times I was lost in my thoughts about what it was like to live at that time.

As always, the writing is clever, witty, and humorous and I enjoy the conversations between characters. As I said after reviewing the first book in the series, I would still have a hard time recommending this book to anyone who does not have a love of the historical period. This is not historical fiction in the traditional sense. If you do not have an understanding of the political happenings of the time, I do not see how you could follow the story.

Looking forward to the third and final book. Great stuff! ( )
  msaucier818 | Apr 9, 2018 |
Second volume of the Baroque Cycle, by Neal Stephenson. A marvelous book. A sort of prequel to Cryptonomicon, introducing the ancestors of some of the characters (the Shaftoes and Waterhouses). Yes, it's full of anachronisms, but so what? The characters are all memorable and the settings magnificent. What I like about books like this is they raise enough questions to inspire me to go out and read more about the historical period in question, especially some of the non-European areas (was there really a pirate queen of the Malabar coast? What exactly were the religious beliefs of the Jansenists? Was the Inquisition that active in Mexico? Was there really an active trade exporting wootz from India to Japan?) I look forward to the next volume in the series coming out in paperback, so it will fit on my bookshelves.

Your local bookstore or library may have some problems deciding where to shelve this. Barnes and Noble put it in the Science Fiction section, which doesn't really make that much sense. ( )
  setnahkt | Jan 2, 2018 |
The continuing sagas of Daniel Waterhouse, Jack Shaftoe, and Eliza.

This book (and the entire series) is amazing. It's absolutely chock full of history. It's got drama by way of plots, subplots, counterplots, betrayals, bad luck, and just plain old happenstance. It's got some incredibly funny sections - seriously laugh-out-loud parts. Treatises on commerce, ship building, torture, and calculus. It's truly amazing. ( )
  helver | Aug 2, 2017 |

Pariseau, KevinNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prebble, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stingl, NikolausTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van De Velde, WillemCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
So great is the dignity and excellency of humane nature, and so active those sparks of heavenly fire it partakes of, that they ought to be look'd upon as very mean, and unworthy the name of men, who thro' pusillanimity, by them call'd prudence, or thro' sloth, which they stile moderation, or else through avarice, to which they give the name frugality, at any rate withdraw themselves from performing great and noble actions.
— Giovanni Francesco Gemelli Careri,
A Voyage Round the World
The Commerce of the World, especially as it now carried on, is an unbounded Ocean of Business; Trackless and unknown, like the Seas it is managed upon; the Merchant is no more to be follow'd in his Adventures, than a Maze or Labyrinth is to be trac'd out without a Clue.

— Daniel Defoe

A Plan of the English Commerce
To Maurine
He was not merely awakened, but detonated out of an uncommonly long and repetitive dream.
This is the second volume of the three-volume edition. Please don't combine with the fourth or fifth volume of the eight-volume edition with the same title.

In the year 1689, a cabal of Barbary galley slaves -- including one Jack Shaftoe, aka King of the Vagabonds, aka Half-Cocked Jack -- devises a daring plan to win freedom and fortune. A great adventure ensues -- a perilous race for an enormous prize of silver ... nay, gold ... nay, legendary gold.

In Europe, the exquisite and resourceful Eliza, Countess de la Zeur, is stripped of her immense personal fortune by France's most dashing privateer. Penniless and at risk from those who desire either her or her head (or both), she is caught up in a web of international intrigue, even as she desperately seeks the return of her most precious possession.

Meanwhile, Newton and Leibniz continue to propound their grand theories as their infamous rivalry intensifies, stubborn alchemy does battle with the natural sciences, dastardly plots are set in motion ... and Daniel Waterhouse seeks passage to the Massachusetts colony in hopes of escaping the madness into which his world has descended.

This P.S. edition features an extra 16 pages of insights into the book, including author interviews, recommended reading, and more.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:26 -0400)

"In the year 1689, a cabal of Barbary galley slaves -- including one Jack Shaftoe, aka King of the Vagabonds, aka Half-Cocked Jack -- devises a daring plan to win freedom and fortune. A great adventure ensues -- a perilous race for an enormous prize of silver ... nay, gold ... nay, legendary gold" --Cover, p. 4.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,694,059 books! | Top bar: Always visible