The Story of a Marriage by Andrew Sean Greer

The Story of a Marriage

by Andrew Sean Greer

English (62)  Italian (1)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (65)
so insightful and lyrical. enjoyed the plot with the play of choices given to the characters . ( )
  sidiki | Apr 8, 2016 |
This book has more surprises in the first 50 pages than I have read in a very long time. This is the unique story of Holland and Pearlie Cook, set primarily in California beginning just at the end of WWII. Very unique, compelling. Asks the question, how well do we really know the people we love? ( )
  mamashepp | Mar 29, 2016 |
  mamashepp | Mar 29, 2016 |
Excellent literary novel that deals with relationships, race, social status and sexual mores. Charles "Buzz" Drumer shows up one afternoon 6 years into the marriage of Pearlie and Holland; Buzz knew Holland in WW 2. The miscues, miscommunications, unvoiced fears and hopes of the 3 adults result in several surprise turns in the story. ( )
  BookConcierge | Feb 14, 2016 |
Such a bland title for what turns out to be a marriage characterized by the most unusual challenges. Andrew Sean Greer writes beautifully ("The driver struck a match and we were briefly bathed in that warm light before he touched it, gently, to his cigarette and then, when that was lit, thermometer-shook the match to darkness, leaving only a smoky question mark."), though the middle of this short novel has its draggy spots. Nonetheless, in coming to the end, I found the story very moving. How true it is that so many relationships are filled with misunderstanding. Yet love can and does mysteriously abide. Who ultimately can explain it? ( )
  kvrfan | Apr 25, 2015 |
A timeless story of conflicting loyalties, “The Story of a Marriage” has roots in the fiction of Poe’s era, but, fittingly enough, its plot is firmly anchored in the vividly described America of the early 1950s — a seemingly serene era whose submerged social, racial and political tensions would soon create their own disruptions and upheavals.

We think we know the ones we love.
I was in my seventies by then; the first time I realized my age was when I tried on a scarf in San Francisco and said it was a little bright for an old woman like me, expecting the clerk to contradict me, and when he didn’t, I saw myself at last for what I was.
What is it like for men? Even now I can't tell you. To have to hold up the world and never show the strain. To pretend at every moment: pretend to be strong, and wise, and good, and faithful. But nobody is strong or wise or good or faithful, not really. It turns out everyone is faking it as best they can.

From the bestselling author of The Confessions of Max Tivoli, a love story full of secrets and astonishments set in 1950s San Francisco

“We think we know the ones we love.” So Pearlie Cook begins her indirect and devastating exploration of the mystery at the heart of every relationship, how we can ever truly know another person.

It is 1953 and Pearlie, a dutiful housewife, finds herself living in the Sunset district of San Francisco, caring not only for her husband’s fragile health but also for her son, who is afflicted with polio. Then, one Saturday morning, a stranger appears on her doorstep and everything changes. All the certainties by which Pearlie has lived are thrown into doubt. Does she know her husband at all? And what does the stranger want in return for his offer of $100,000? For six months in 1953, young Pearlie Cook struggles to understand the world around her, most especially her husband, Holland.

Pearlie’s story is a meditation not only on love but also on the effects of war—with one war just over and another one in Korea coming to a close. Set in a climate of fear and repression—political, sexual, and racial—The Story of a Marriage portrays three people trapped by the confines of their era, and the desperate measures they are prepared to take to escape it. Lyrical and surprising, The Story of a Marriage looks back at a period that we tend to misremember as one of innocence and simplicity.

Like Ford Madox Ford’s The Good Soldier, Andrew Sean Greer’s novel is a narrative tour de force that confirms him as “one of the most talented writers around” (Michael Chabon).

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:27 -0400)

Caring for her ill husband and son in 1953 San Francisco, dutiful housewife Pearlie questions everything she has ever believed about her husband after the appearance of a stranger who mysteriously offers her a considerable sum of money.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Story of a Marriage by Andrew Sean Greer was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,001,645 books! | Top bar: Always visible