The Story of a Marriage: A Novel by Andrew…

The Story of a Marriage: A Novel (edition 2008)

by Andrew Sean Greer

It is 1953 and Pearlie, a dutiful young housewife, finds herself living in the Sunset District in San Francisco, caring not only for her husband's fragile health but also for her son, who is afflicted with polio. Then, one Saturday morning, a stranger appears on her doorstep, and everything changes. For six months in 1953 young Pearlie Cook struggles to understand the world around her, and most especially her husband, Holland. Pearlie's story is a meditation not only on love but also on the effects of war, with one war recently over and another coming to a close. Set in a climate of fear and repression--political, sexual, and racial--The story of a marriage portrays three people trapped by the confines of their era, and the desperate measures they are prepared to take to escape it.… (more)
Member:AmCorKragujevac
Title:The Story of a Marriage: A Novel
Authors:Andrew Sean Greer
Info:Farrar, Straus and Giroux (2008), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 208 pages
Tags:R19

The Story of a Marriage by Andrew Sean Greer

English (63)  Italian (1)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (66)
A few good twists at the start but it just seemed to ramble on and never seemed entirely believable. Skimmed it but couldn;t get interested.
  AHouseOfBooks | Aug 7, 2019 |
I liked another book by this author (Less). But I couldn’t finish it.

The writing style was too elliptical- the narrator is Pearlie, and she talks about things without saying much what they are. She might refer to things that happened in the past - reflect on their impact without telling you what it is exactly. It wasn’t clear where we were going, or if this short book was just one big rumination of Pearlie’s. I checked the ending, and it didn’t look like any kind of resolution, so I put it down. ( )
  BeckiMarsh | Nov 16, 2018 |
chi ama davvero non dice "ti amo".
chi ama davvero dice "Lascia che mi prenda cura di te". ( )
  cry6379 | Sep 17, 2017 |
Mi è capitato in mano per puro caso e mi sono detta. Che roba è? Vediamo...
...non l'ho mollato fino alla fine. Il punteggio come si vede è molto alto,ma mi sono lasciata prendere dall'emozione della lettura come non mi capitava da anni per storie del genere (anzi storie del genere ne leggo pochissime perchè, di solito mi annoiano). Più dei colpi di scena (in continuazione, ed è un po' strano in romanzo sentimentale)è la capacità di proporsi come lo specchio di comportamenti nei quali è fin troppo facile riconoscersi.
Ma non è lettura per tutti: solo per le ragazze adulte sempre un po' deluse e assuefatte alla delusione dei sentimenti ( )
  icaro. | Aug 31, 2017 |
A little gem of a book that takes place in the San Francisco of the 1950s. The plot relies on unfolding secrets and little twists so I can't be specific but the primary question 'do we ever really know our loved ones' is asked and answered in a suprising and subtle way. ( )
  laurenbufferd | Nov 14, 2016 |
A timeless story of conflicting loyalties, “The Story of a Marriage” has roots in the fiction of Poe’s era, but, fittingly enough, its plot is firmly anchored in the vividly described America of the early 1950s — a seemingly serene era whose submerged social, racial and political tensions would soon create their own disruptions and upheavals.

We think we know the ones we love.
I was in my seventies by then; the first time I realized my age was when I tried on a scarf in San Francisco and said it was a little bright for an old woman like me, expecting the clerk to contradict me, and when he didn’t, I saw myself at last for what I was.
What is it like for men? Even now I can't tell you. To have to hold up the world and never show the strain. To pretend at every moment: pretend to be strong, and wise, and good, and faithful. But nobody is strong or wise or good or faithful, not really. It turns out everyone is faking it as best they can.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Andrew Sean Greer's book The Story of a Marriage was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,798,972 books! | Top bar: Always visible