Fire Logic by Laurie J. Marks

Fire Logic (edition 2004)

by Laurie J. Marks

Member:litalex
Title:Fire Logic
Authors:Laurie J. Marks
Info:Tor Fantasy (2004), Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Rating:***
Tags:SF/F, LGBT

Fire Logic by Laurie J. Marks

I really loved this book, but any description I can think of makes it sound really boring. It reminded me of a less fucked-up KJ Parker, sort of. Also please ignore the totally lame cover.
Just, if you like fantasy, and having people of various genders and races and sexualities where being of that gender/race/sexuality isn't the point of the story but just part of life, you should read this book! ( )
  JenneB | Apr 2, 2013 |
I tried. I wanted to like it. Reviewers whose opinions I value liked it. I just couldn't. It could be the breadth of the story: this is not something that can be told to my satisfaction within one book, which is one of my criteria. I also just couldn't bond with Zanja.
  GinnyTea | Mar 31, 2013 |
An extremely well written fantasy with lesbians as the main characters - I've died and gone to heaven! ( )
  jms1203 | Jun 24, 2011 |
I tend to dislike the plotline of “band of patriots versus the evil invaders,” so one of the things I like about Fire Logic is that it does not really use that trope. I have also gotten slightly tired of the “lost heir” trope. Instead, we have “non-evil but slightly stupidly desperate refugee soldiers versus equally desperate patriots who are slowly alienating themselves from their own people because their own people are deeply sick of the fighting.” There is also a “lost heir,” but the aforementioned desperate patriots judge the lost heir unfit to be the heir.

Our protagonists are three “fire blood” elementals who are at varying points completely bonkers by anyone else’s standards. One is a woman of a border tribe that was wiped out by the Sainnite invaders, one is a Shaftali Paladin, and the third is a half-Sainnite seer. People with “fire logic” tend to be wildly intuitive, subject to dreams and visions and spend a lot of time seeming to talk to themselves a lot. They approach everything as a metaphor for something else. (The air element is described as extremely sharp and analytical. Air and fire do not get along too well because air talents are driven completely bonkers by fire talents and their seemingly random intuitive leaps.)

Read the rest of this review at A Wicked Convergence of Circumstances. ( )
  RenaMcGee | Mar 24, 2011 |
Interesting Read but a bit slow. Everyone is gay in the story and its a bit strange. ( )
  dusksdawn | Oct 25, 2008 |
Essentially, Fire Logic is a war novel in a fantasy setting. But in Marks' gentle care, it becomes much more. As the characters search their souls for their motives, and make mistakes, and seek to justify their actions we are drawn into something deeper than just a question of how does the land find peace. It becomes a rather quiet look at how does each person find peace.

Laurie J. Marksprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dobbs, Anita RoyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For three enduring friends, who, with their elemental talents of fire, earth, water, and air, bound into this book their insights, truths, joys, and intelligence: Rosemary, Delia, and Didi
In the border regions of northern Shaftal, the peaks of the mountains loom over hardscrabble farmholds.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 081256653X, Mass Market Paperback)

In the wake of the successful movie adaptation of The Lord of the Rings, bookstores have been flooded with new high fantasy. Much of it is derivative and badly written; some is well written and singular. Among the rare and glorious successes is Laurie J. Marks's Fire Logic, an original, skillfully written, powerfully imagined novel of war and intrigue, a high fantasy that owes little to Tolkien's trilogy, though both are intelligent, adult works that may also be enjoyed by younger readers.

In the world of Fire Logic, the rare individuals born with magic talent are known as elementals, because they possess the power of fire, earth, air, or water. The fire elemental Emil is a Paladin, a Shaftali soldier-scholar who is about to embark on his most desired studies when the invading Sainnites capture the capitol and kill the wizard ruler, leaving no heir; now Emil must become a war commander in the remnants of the Shaftali army. Another fire elemental, Zanja na'Tarwein, is the Ashawala'i Speaker, but she cannot convince her own people of the full danger of the Sainnites. Karis, a half-giant blacksmith, has tremendous earth powers that might defeat the Sainnites--if she weren't addicted to a potent, deadly drug that steals her will. Her guardian, Norina the Truthken, is an air elemental able to see through any lie, yet she is blind to dangerous truths about both her half-giant charge and Paladin treachery. --Cynthia Ward

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:19 -0400)

"Earth-Air-Water-Fire: These elements have sustained the peaceful people of Shaftal for generations, with their subtle powers of healing, truth, joy, and intuition. But now Shaftal is dying." "The earth witch who ruled Shaftal is dead, leaving no heir. Shaftal's ruling house has been scattered and destroyed by the invading Sainnites. The Shaftali have mobilized a guerrilla army against these marauders, but every year the cost of resistance grows, leaving Shaftal's fate in the hands of three people: Emil the Shaftali Paladin: an officer and a scholar whose elemental powers make him an excellent judge of character; Zanja the Diplomat: the sole survivor of a slaughtered tribe, her fire powers bringing the gift of prescience; and Karis the Metalsmith: a half-blood giant whose earth powers can heal and create, but only when she can muster the strength to hold off her addiction to a deadly drug that suspends her will." "Separately, all they can do is watch as Shaftal falls from prosperity into lawlessness and famine. If they can find a way to work together, they may just change the course of history."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,660,099 books! | Top bar: Always visible