Shaman, Healer, Sage: How to Heal Yourself…

Shaman, Healer, Sage: How to Heal Yourself and Others with the Energy…

by Alberto Villoldo

Written from the viewpoint of a psychologist/medical anthropologist, Alberto Villoldo describes his experiences with South American shamans/healers. Very similar in tone and message to the Don Juan/Carlos Cataneda book I read about thirty years ago, Villoldo does an excellent job of explaining what it means to be an Inka (his spelling) shaman. how their belief system works (which were surprisingly similar to Eastern spiritual beliefs) and how someone can use the information for their own spiritual development. Especially appreciated was a "don't try this at home" warning which I have found lacking in most books on energy medicine - it would stand to reason if the procedures are as powerful as is claimed that untrained use could be harmful. Villoldo makes it very clear that guidance from a trained healer would be appropriate if you wished to use the healing for others (and while he runs his own school I didn't find that he was pushing his school unduly). Well written, this book would be recommended for readers interested in South American primitive culture and those interested in energy medicine. ( )
  buchowl | Sep 14, 2010 |
While not a book that I would really use myself it is an interesting book that made me think about energy and it's use. It's something I want to explore more but the South American angle doesn't really float my boat but it would be something to explore from an Irish angle.

The book is all about manipulating the body's mystical energy and if that doesn't fit into your worldview, don't get involved with this book. He looks on the manipulation of the energy from a Incan point of view and it is interesting to see what he has learned. I'm pretty sure that he really hasn't gone as deep as someone from the culture can but that's the way of things.

It's interesting, sometimes from an anthropological point of view and sometimes from a energyworking point of view. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Apr 8, 2008 |

Alberto Villoldo, a classically trained medical anthropologist, has studied shamanic healing techniques among the descendants of the ancient Inkas for more than twenty years. In Shaman, Healer, Sage, he draws on his vast body of knowledge to create a practical and revolutionary program based on the traditional healing methods used by these shamans -- methods that, until now, have been inaccessible to most of the world.

Villoldo explains that central to shamanic healing is the concept of the Luminous Energy Field that is believed to surround our material bodies. His book teaches us to see and influence the imprints that disease leaves on this field and thereby to heal ourselves and others, as well as prevent illness.

Villoldo weaves wonderful teaching stories throughout about the healing power of the energy medicine of the Americas. In one story, Villoldo comes down with pneumonia while in Peru. When antibiotics fail to control the infection, his mentor, the shaman Don Antonio, uses the process of Illumination to remove the toxins that had invaded Villoldo's body. These same shamanic techniques later allowed Villoldo to remove stagnant energy from a young woman whose marriage was suffering due to her past experience with abandonment. With the aid of shamanic work, the woman regained her trust in others, and her marriage was revitalized.

This book is rich with ancient wisdom and contemporary techniques we can use to help ourselves and others, as well as with the more advanced methods of master shamans, which are being brought to a wide audience for the first time.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:51:25 -0400)

A guide to tapping the secrets of "healing energy" uses the shamanic tradition of America to help readers prevent, treat, and overcome a host of ailments.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,959,598 books! | Top bar: Always visible