dismiss

First King of Shannara by Terry Brooks

First King of Shannara (original 1996; edition 1997)

by Terry Brooks (Author)

Horrified by the misuse of magic they had witnessed during the First War of the Races, the Druids at Paranor devoted themselves to the study of the old sciences, from the period before the collapse of civilization a thousand years before. Only the Bremen and a few trusted associates still studied the arcane arts. And for his persistence, Bremen found himself outcast, avoided by all but the few free-thinkers among the Druids. But his removal from Paranor was not altogether a terrible thing, for Bremen learned that dark forces were on the move from the Northlands. That seemingly invincible armies of trolls were fast conquering all that lay to their south. That the scouts for the army--and its principal assassins--were Skull Bearers, disfigured and transformed Druids who had fallen prey to the seductions of the magic arts. And that at the heart of the evil tide was an archmage and former Druid named Brona! Using the special skills he had acquired through his own study of Magic, Bremen was able to penetrate the huge camp of the Troll army and learn many of its secrets. And he immediately understood that if the peoples of the Four Lands were to escape eternal subjugation they would need to unite. But, even united, they would need a weapon, something so powerful that the evil magic of Brona, the Warlock Lord, would fail before its might.… (more)
Member:AHSReader
Title:First King of Shannara
Authors:Terry Brooks (Author)
Info:Del Rey (1997), Edition: First Mass Market Edition, 439 pages
Collections:March 2016

First King of Shannara by Terry Brooks (1996)

English (24)  Dutch (2)  All languages (26)
Even though I've read it before, I thought it started out pretty slow. It wasn't until after the characters parted ways that I felt it got more interesting. Definitely picked up more the more I read. ( )
  Linyarai | Feb 16, 2020 |
Shannara Series #1 ( )
  Ronald.Marcil | Jul 7, 2019 |
I'm crushed! This is what I've always feared when rereading childhood favorites! This was good, but I didn't enjoy it very much at all. I started Sword of Shannara, I'm 130 pages in and I just can't get excited about it. I adored these books as a teenager! (It wasn't all that long ago either!) I just moved into a new apartment and brought these from my childhood bedroom, all 12 that I could immediately put my hands on! I wanted to get lost in this world that I once loved so much. Now I'm regretting the valuable shelf space their taking up here, regretting that I left Terry Goodkind's SWORD OF TRUTH in preference of these. I think maybe the time is just not right for me to try these again? I'll try again. I'm not ready to give up on Mr. Brooks. This is very disappointing. ( )
  Jackie_Sassa | Nov 20, 2015 |
Tenho gostado muito da escrita de Terry Brooks, mas acho este livro um pouco dispensável, pois tudo o que sabíamos que tinha acontecido neste período, vem descrito agora excessivamente em pormenor. As personagens e as batalhas são interessantes mas sinto que o livro está a mais na saga Shannara e era dispensável.

bruc79 | Jul 31, 2015 |
As a long-time reader of the Shannara books, I was very excited to read this one. "First King of Shannara" doesn't disappoint, allowing you to explore the world as it was before the time of the first set of books. Yes, it does drag a little in certain spots, but justifiably so, at least in my opinion. This is definitely one of my favorites in the Shannara series, and I'll certainly be reading is again. ( )
  SiennaH | Sep 13, 2014 |

Belongs to Publisher Series

Goldmann (24717)
For Melody, Kate, Lloyd, Abby, and Russell
Booksellers Extraordinaire
The old man just appeared, seemingly out of nowhere.

Horrified by the misuse of Magic they had witnessed during the First War of the Races, the Druids at Paranor devoted themselves to the study of the old sciences. Only Bremen and a few trusted associates still studied the arcane arts. And for his persistence, Bremen found himself outcast, avoided by all but the few freethinkers among the Druids.

But his removal from Paranor was not altogether a terrible thing for, during his travels, Bremen learned that dark forces were on the move from the Northlands. And at the heart of the evil tide was an archmage and former Druid named Brona.

Using the special skills he had acquired through his own study of Magic, Bremen was able to penetrate the huge camp of the Troll army and learn many of its secrets. And he immediately understood that if the peoples of the Four Lands were to escape eternal subjugation, they would need to unite. But, even united, they would need a weapon, something so powerful that the evil Magic of Brona, the Warlock Lord, would fail before its might...

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,601,165 books! | Top bar: Always visible