First King of Shannara (Shannara Trilogy,…

First King of Shannara (Shannara Trilogy, Prequel) (original 1996; edition 1997)

by Terry Brooks

Title:First King of Shannara (Shannara Trilogy, Prequel)
Authors:Terry Brooks
Info:Del Rey (1997), Edition: 1St Edition, Mass Market Paperback, 448 pages
Collections:Finished, Your library
Tags:2012, Kindle, Shannara, Fiction, Fantasy

First King of Shannara by Terry Brooks (1996)

English (22)  Dutch (2)  All languages (24)
I'm crushed! This is what I've always feared when rereading childhood favorites! This was good, but I didn't enjoy it very much at all. I started Sword of Shannara, I'm 130 pages in and I just can't get excited about it. I adored these books as a teenager! (It wasn't all that long ago either!) I just moved into a new apartment and brought these from my childhood bedroom, all 12 that I could immediately put my hands on! I wanted to get lost in this world that I once loved so much. Now I'm regretting the valuable shelf space their taking up here, regretting that I left Terry Goodkind's SWORD OF TRUTH in preference of these. I think maybe the time is just not right for me to try these again? I'll try again. I'm not ready to give up on Mr. Brooks. This is very disappointing. ( )
  Jackie_Sassa | Nov 20, 2015 |
Tenho gostado muito da escrita de Terry Brooks, mas acho este livro um pouco dispensável, pois tudo o que sabíamos que tinha acontecido neste período, vem descrito agora excessivamente em pormenor. As personagens e as batalhas são interessantes mas sinto que o livro está a mais na saga Shannara e era dispensável.

bruc79 | Jul 31, 2015 |
As a long-time reader of the Shannara books, I was very excited to read this one. "First King of Shannara" doesn't disappoint, allowing you to explore the world as it was before the time of the first set of books. Yes, it does drag a little in certain spots, but justifiably so, at least in my opinion. This is definitely one of my favorites in the Shannara series, and I'll certainly be reading is again. ( )
  SiennaH | Sep 13, 2014 |
I love Terry Brooks. I love Scott Brick. I hate First King of Shannara.

I've been going through the Shannara series in chronological order, starting with Running With the Demon. Brooks has captivated me with his characters like Nest Freemark and John Ross and Hawk. Prue and Pantera weren't too bad, either.

I didn't connect with a single one of the characters in First King of Shannara. There seemed to be zero character development, the plot never seemed to change, and all this added to Scott Brick's over-dramatic reading left me exhausted. I couldn't wait to just get through the damn thing.

The Knights of the Word and demons fascinate me. I'm sad to see them gone by this point in the series. (I'm hopeful they'll return!)

All in all, I am a great fan of Brooks' works and of Scott Brick; however, FKoS fell well short of what I expected. ( )
  wispywillow | Sep 21, 2013 |
This was a great book. ( )
  marysneedle | Mar 29, 2013 |
For Melody, Kate, Lloyd, Abby, and Russell
Booksellers Extraordinaire
The old man just appeared, seemingly out of nowhere.

Horrified by the misuse of Magic they had witnessed during the First War of the Races, the Druids at Paranor devoted themselves to the study of the old sciences. Only Bremen and a few trusted associates still studied the arcane arts. And for his persistence, Bremen found himself outcast, avoided by all but the few freethinkers among the Druids.

But his removal from Paranor was not altogether a terrible thing for, during his travels, Bremen learned that dark forces were on the move from the Northlands. And at the heart of the evil tide was an archmage and former Druid named Brona.

Using the special skills he had acquired through his own study of Magic, Bremen was able to penetrate the huge camp of the Troll army and learn many of its secrets. And he immediately understood that if the peoples of the Four Lands were to escape eternal subjugation, they would need to unite. But, even united, they would need a weapon, something so powerful that the evil Magic of Brona, the Warlock Lord, would fail before its might...

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345396537, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:37 -0400)

Dark forces are on the move from the Northlands, and Bremen, an outcast Druid, learns of the huge Troll armies on the march and the Skull Bearers who act as their spies. To save the Druids, Bremen must convince the people of the Four Lands that their only hope lies in uniting -- and in using the magic they fear above all else.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,886,268 books! | Top bar: Always visible