The Dragonfly Pool by Eva Ibbotson

The Dragonfly Pool (original 2008; edition 2008)

by Eva Ibbotson

Member:written
Title:The Dragonfly Pool
Authors:Eva Ibbotson
Info:Macmillan Children's Books (2008), Hardcover, 416 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***

The Dragonfly Pool by Eva Ibbotson (2008)

Recently added byelsapla, patchygirl, Relais, atuson, ajmarks, CDVicarage, Sherloki, private library, possumus1

English (25)  French (1)  All languages (26)
three and a half stars. I love Eva Ibbotson. She is very creative. After I read Fifth Formers at St Clares I better understood some of the boarding school references. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
Amazon received
  romsfuulynn | Apr 28, 2013 |
Going on a little mini-Ibbotson kick, I went on to The Dragonfly Pool It was a sweet story and very much of a piece with her books for older readers. It didn't quite have the same depth or complexity though, and I missed that. [Feb. 2011] ( )
  maureene87 | Apr 4, 2013 |
MSBA Nominee 2009-2010

I liked the book, once I got into it. I didn't really get into until we started hearing about Bergania. My major problem was that Tally seemed to be this really perfect character whom everyone loved, and I just wasn't feeling it. I didn't see WHY she was so universally loved or magical. ( )
  scote23 | Mar 30, 2013 |
Eva Ibbotson gör en sällan besviken. Med en utomordentligt fin ton och känsla för lagom ironiska kommentarer för hon en som läsare in i hennes spännande värld. Som vanligt står hon på barnens sida. Spännande och äventyrlig.
  moa.ryrlind | Oct 25, 2012 |
I would like to thank my son Toby Ibbotson for the help he gave me in the writing of this book
'I don't think you ought to be crying at your age.'
'Duty exists and it's real. It means sharing any gift or talent that you have with people who need it.'

Tally Hamilton is furious to hear she is being sent from London to a horrid, stuffy boarding school in the countryside. And all because of the stupid war. But Delderton Hall is a far more unusual and interesting place than Tally ever imagined, and she soon falls in love with its eccentric staff and pupils. Now she's even organizing an exciting school trip to the kingdom of Bergania ...although Tally never expected to meet the prince. Prince Karil hates his life at the palace and he is only truly happy when he escapes to the dragonfly pool, a remote spot in the forests of Bergania. Then Karil meets a feisty English girl who brings the promise of adventure. But his country is under threat, and the prince soon looks to his new friend Tally for survival as well as friendship...

A beloved New York Times bestselling author returns to paper!

At first Tally doesn?t want to go to the boarding school called Delderton. But soon she discovers that it?s a wonderful place, where freedom and selfexpression are valued. Enamored of Bergania, a erene and peaceful country led by a noble king, Tally organizes a dance troupe to attend the international folk dancing festival there. There she meets Karil, the crown prince, who wants nothing more than ordinary friends. But when Karil?s father is assassinated, it?s up to Tally and her friends to help Karil escape the Nazis and the bleak future he?s inherited.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:25 -0400)

At first Tally doesn't want to go to the boarding school called Delderton. But soon she discovers that it's a wonderful place, where freedom and selfexpression are valued. Enamored of Bergania, a erene and peaceful country led by a noble king, Tally organizes a dance troupe to attend the international folk dancing festival there. There she meets Karil, the crown prince, who wants nothing more than ordinary friends. But when Karil's father is assassinated, it's up to Tally and her friends to help Karil escape the Nazis and the bleak future he's inherited.… (more)

Five editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,465,708 books! | Top bar: Always visible