Dancing With Gi'S by Libby Chitwood Appel

Dancing With Gi'S

by Libby Chitwood Appel

213,795,059 (4)1
Recently added byglade1, karenmarie
history (1) India (1) kph (1) memoir (2) non-fiction (2) read in 2017 (1) Red Cross (1) S02 (1) to-read (1) US History (1) women (1) WWII (2)

This was a good read. I was fascinated by Ms. Appel's experiences, which are unlike any other WWII story I've read. She was not in the thick of the war action, but had a wonderful opportunity to serve the soldiers and got plenty of fabulous experiences to boot. From her arrival at Bombay and the shock of the different culture, through time in the jungle (on a tea plantation, though - no roughing it too much for our Red Cross gals), vacations in the Himalayas, and time with royalty, the author has lots of fun and interesting stories to tell. If I have a criticism of the book, it is the sudden ending. The story ends with her wedding, but I was unclear if that meant the Red Cross was over (assuming they only wanted single women?) and she went back home or what... plus, I would be interested to hear a little about her life back in the States as well. Ms. Appel is an observant and entertaining story teller. I recommend this book! ( )
  glade1 | Sep 26, 2017 |
To J.C.
My favorite GI
"The dancing foot,
the sound of tinkling bells--
Find these within yourself, then
shall your fetters fall away."
The Dance of Shiva
This is a happy story about the lighter side of WWII. It tells of close shaves and scary encounters, but not of combat or casualties.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,471,382 books! | Top bar: Always visible