The Reason for God: Belief in an Age of…

The Reason for God: Belief in an Age of Skepticism (original 2008; edition 2009)

by Timothy J. Keller

Member:shbclibrary
Title:The Reason for God: Belief in an Age of Skepticism
Authors:Timothy J. Keller
Info:Riverhead Trade (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 336 pages
Tags:Christian living, in processing

The Reason for God: Belief in an Age of Skepticism by Timothy Keller (2008)

Got the book from a religious friend. Read about half. The book will definitely resonate differently depending on your beliefs going in. Found it interesting, but ultimately, unsatisfying. The author makes very circular arguments. And always come back to hypothetical, about how there might be something out there bigger than all of us, that we don't understand. It gets hard to have a discussion when everything comes back to "isn't it possible"? ( )
  bermandog | May 7, 2017 |
It's an apologetic book so it's a little bit deeper in content and not as easy of a read as some other books we've done but it really makes you think about what you believe and why. It poses some good questions for thoughts and you really have to dig deep to get something out of it, but because you are doing the hard work of digging deep, the payoff is that much more rewarding and your level of knowledge is that much deeper.
ACF: Todd Nagel, not currently in ACF's library. ( )
  ACFellowship | Mar 8, 2017 |
approaches apologetics in a relevant and contemporary manner. Bit weak on the chapter to do with evolution and origins, but still helpful throughout. ( )
  matthewgray | Dec 16, 2016 |
I have not read a lot of books on apologetics, but this has got to be among the best there is. Keller writes with sensitivity, compassion and precision and includes a lot of references I like, such as C.S. Lewis and Flannery O'Connor. The beginning of the book is a little heavy with philosophical terms, ones I haven't seen since college days so I had to go back and refresh a little, but if you can get past that it's quite reasonable and easy to follow.
  homeschoolmimzi | Nov 28, 2016 |
Excellent apologetic discussion of the Christian faith that seeks to establish both the reasonability of belief and that there is reason to doubt unbelief. Though I don't agree with all of Keller's arguments (he comes down for theistic evolution) it does stop him from resoundingly accomplishing his goal. Masterful.
YouTube has a video of Tim Keller discussing this book at Google that is a good intro to this book and worth watching. ( )
  HGButchWalker | Sep 21, 2016 |
I could go on, but I do not want to undermine the good there is in Keller's book. No book apart from Scripture itself is perfect and so I want to commend Reason for God but note my concerns. But I am likely to hear the retort that Keller's way of doing apologetics is better than my way of not doing it. I would prefer to do apologetics in a way consistent with Scripture and my confessional commitment. Be that as it may, perfect book or not, Keller is to be commended for venturing out into the marketplace.
added by Christa_Josh | editWestminster Theological Journal, Jeffrey C. Waddington (Mar 1, 2009)

To Kathy, the Valiant
There is a great gulf today between what is popularly known as liberalism and conservatism.

The End of Faith. The God Delusion. God Is Not Great. Letter to a Christian Nation. Bestseller lists are filled with doubters. But what happens when you actually doubt your doubts?

Although a vocal minority continues to attack the Christian faith, for most Americans, faith is a large part of their lives: 86 percent of Americans refer to themselves as religious, and 75 percent of all Americans consider themselves Christians. So how should they respond to these passionate, learned, and persuasive books that promote science and secularism over religion and faith? For years, Tim Keller has compiled a list of the most frequently voiced “doubts” skeptics bring to his Manhattan church. And in The Reason for God, he single-handedly dismantles each of them. Written with atheists, agnostics, and skeptics in mind, Keller also provides an intelligent platform on which true believers can stand their ground when bombarded by the backlash. The Reason for God challenges such ideology at its core and points to the true path and purpose of Christianity.

Why is there suffering in the world? How could a loving God send people to Hell? Why isn’t Christianity more inclusive? Shouldn’t the Christian God be a god of love? How can one religion be “right” and the rest “wrong”? Why have so many wars been fought in the name of God? These are just a few of the questions even ardent believers wrestle with today. In this book, Tim Keller uses literature, philosophy, real-life conversations and reasoning, and even pop culture to explain how faith in a Christian God is a soundly rational belief, held by thoughtful people of intellectual integrity with a deep compassion for those who truly want to know the truth.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:07 -0400)

Although a vocal minority continues to attack religious faith, for most Americans, faith is a large part of their lives: 86% of Americans refer to themselves as religious, and 75% of all Americans consider themselves Christians. So how should they respond to these passionate, learned, and persuasive books that promote science and secularism over religion and faith? For years, Tim Keller has compiled a list of the most frequently voiced "doubts" skeptics bring to his Manhattan church; here, he dismantles each of them. Written with atheists, agnostics, and skeptics in mind, Keller also provides an intelligent platform on which true believers can stand their ground when bombarded by the backlash. This book challenges such ideology at its core and points to the true path and purpose of Christianity.--From publisher description.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,209,673 books! | Top bar: Always visible