The Reason for God: Belief in an Age of…

The Reason for God: Belief in an Age of Skepticism (original 2008; edition 2008)

by Timothy Keller

Member:JFDausman
Title:The Reason for God: Belief in an Age of Skepticism
Authors:Timothy Keller
Info:Dutton Adult (2008), Edition: First Edition first Printing, Hardcover, 293 pages
Collections:Your library, CSLewisFellows

The Reason for God: Belief in an Age of Skepticism by Timothy Keller (2008)

Recently added byD2S, Phillipibox, martinpk, tefellows, private library, violistpm, drsean17, TEPResources, Baron-VM, jlford3

Overview: The Reason For God is mostly an apologetic for the existence of God. The author has pastored in NY city and has been engaged in evangelizing atheists, agnostics, seekers, and a host of different religions; his explanations to those types of individuals form the basis for this book.

Pros: I really enjoyed this book. Tim Keller is an engaging writer, at least according to my preferences. He is also very logical and irrefutably presents his arguments, yet with an unmistakable kindness and respect. The book is divided into two main sections followed by a lengthy epilogue.

Part One - The Leap Of Doubt ("Help Thou Mine Unbelief")
Here Keller answers the arguments and questions:
1 - There Can't Be Just One True Religion
2 - How Could a Good God Allow Suffering?
3 - Christianity Is A Straightjacket
4 - The Church Is Responsible For So Much Injustice
5 - How Can A Loving God Send People To Hell?
6 - Science Has Disproved Christianity
11 - Religion And The Gospel
12 - The (True) Story Of The Cross
13 - The Reality Of The Resurrection
14 - The Dance Of God
Epilogue - Where Do We Go From Here?

Cons: There are two major issues which give me pause in recommending this book. 1) Keller presents a very weak view of the reality of hell. He defines hell as "one's freely chosen identity apart from God on a trajectory into infinity." Perhaps he is speaking of earthly hell and simply not addressing a literal and eternal hell... I'm not sure, but it leaves a questions mark as to where he stands. 2) Keller accepts that "Christians may believe in evolution as a process without believing in philosophical naturalism." He acknowledges that many Christians believe that God brought life about through evolutionary science. Both of these concerns undermine the idea of literal view of Scripture.

Conclusion: Keller expertly answers the questions and arguments of unbelief (in all but a literal hell and creation). His demeanor is unwaveringly kind and respectful. However, because of the two concerns mentioned, I would be very careful to whom I would recommend the book. I would recommend the book to a mature believer as a resource/tool to help sharpen their own apologetic. Other recommendations would be on a case by case basis, depending on the individuals spiritual condition, knowledge, and attitude. ( )
  LeviDeatrick | Jul 28, 2018 |
A sensible, modern version, of the argument for the existence of God, based on the 'best explanation for what there is', approach. Deals with various counterarguments based on the traditional problem of evil. Philosophical jargon rare. Compare with C S Lewis. ( )
  georgee53 | May 14, 2018 |
I have only Read half of this book
  CARay | Apr 25, 2018 |
"Advance copy, not for sale"
  UUFHNC | Jan 24, 2018 |
Got the book from a religious friend. Read about half. The book will definitely resonate differently depending on your beliefs going in. Found it interesting, but ultimately, unsatisfying. The author makes very circular arguments. And always come back to hypothetical, about how there might be something out there bigger than all of us, that we don't understand. It gets hard to have a discussion when everything comes back to "isn't it possible"? ( )
  bermandog | May 7, 2017 |
I could go on, but I do not want to undermine the good there is in Keller's book. No book apart from Scripture itself is perfect and so I want to commend Reason for God but note my concerns. But I am likely to hear the retort that Keller's way of doing apologetics is better than my way of not doing it. I would prefer to do apologetics in a way consistent with Scripture and my confessional commitment. Be that as it may, perfect book or not, Keller is to be commended for venturing out into the marketplace.
added by Christa_Josh | editWestminster Theological Journal, Jeffrey C. Waddington (Mar 1, 2009)

To Kathy, the Valiant
There is a great gulf today between what is popularly known as liberalism and conservatism.

The End of Faith. The God Delusion. God Is Not Great. Letter to a Christian Nation. Bestseller lists are filled with doubters. But what happens when you actually doubt your doubts?

Although a vocal minority continues to attack the Christian faith, for most Americans, faith is a large part of their lives: 86 percent of Americans refer to themselves as religious, and 75 percent of all Americans consider themselves Christians. So how should they respond to these passionate, learned, and persuasive books that promote science and secularism over religion and faith? For years, Tim Keller has compiled a list of the most frequently voiced “doubts” skeptics bring to his Manhattan church. And in The Reason for God, he single-handedly dismantles each of them. Written with atheists, agnostics, and skeptics in mind, Keller also provides an intelligent platform on which true believers can stand their ground when bombarded by the backlash. The Reason for God challenges such ideology at its core and points to the true path and purpose of Christianity.

Why is there suffering in the world? How could a loving God send people to Hell? Why isn’t Christianity more inclusive? Shouldn’t the Christian God be a god of love? How can one religion be “right” and the rest “wrong”? Why have so many wars been fought in the name of God? These are just a few of the questions even ardent believers wrestle with today. In this book, Tim Keller uses literature, philosophy, real-life conversations and reasoning, and even pop culture to explain how faith in a Christian God is a soundly rational belief, held by thoughtful people of intellectual integrity with a deep compassion for those who truly want to know the truth.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:07 -0400)

Although a vocal minority continues to attack religious faith, for most Americans, faith is a large part of their lives: 86% of Americans refer to themselves as religious, and 75% of all Americans consider themselves Christians. So how should they respond to these passionate, learned, and persuasive books that promote science and secularism over religion and faith? For years, Tim Keller has compiled a list of the most frequently voiced "doubts" skeptics bring to his Manhattan church; here, he dismantles each of them. Written with atheists, agnostics, and skeptics in mind, Keller also provides an intelligent platform on which true believers can stand their ground when bombarded by the backlash. This book challenges such ideology at its core and points to the true path and purpose of Christianity.--From publisher description.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,520,910 books! | Top bar: Always visible