Incompetence. by Rob Grant

by Rob Grant (Author)

Member:firedrake1942
Title:Incompetence.
Authors:Rob Grant (Author)
Info:Victor Gollancz (2003), Hardback, 291 pages.

Incompetence by Rob Grant

Probably the funniest book I've read, it literally had me in tears laughing - an extremely rare feat for a book (at least for me)! ( )
  DavidSaul | Nov 9, 2011 |
A fast moving comedy thriller, chock full of influences but with a distinctive Red dwarf feel, not least in a seemingly hapless hero Harry Salt. Harry Salt has other aliases including Mr Tequila, in fact everything but the Lime, and the plot is very Third Man-ish. Its frenetic pace and endless pain for the hero also reminded me of Geoffrey Household's Rogue Male.

I enjoyed it for its pace and dystopia, but found the grumpy old man stuff a little tedious - and I am a GOM. There is only so much you can read about footwear made of vegetables and ways in which train seats are uncomfortable before you start to lose the will to live - felt like padding. It's also not one for the detective story purists, as this is a first person narrative, and as we are supposed to know what Harry knows, it really is cheating to reveal the fact that he can kill a man with one strike, with his bare hands, right at the end of the book. ( )
  Greatrakes | Sep 18, 2011 |
This book reminded me a lot of Jennifer Goverment by Max Berry. It is set in a not too distant future where the United States of Europe have made it illegal to fire someone based on their incompetence. But this scenario is just the backdrop for a funny quickpaced espionage thriller.
While I could have done without some of the rants and instead would have wanted some more background on the whole espionage and futuristic setting, I enjoyed the book and it's premises. 8 points for originality and readability. The end seems to be set up for a sequel..
  verenka | Jun 20, 2010 |
Fun little satire of a book. The sort of thing that I would recommend reading on holiday - not too taxing but a good read to have sat outside in the sunshine with a nice drink. Semi-reminiscent of the Red Dwarf series in the sense that it shares a lot of the same humour - mostly simple and silly observations about people. Still, rather entertaining and worth picking up. ( )
  voodoochilli | Apr 7, 2010 |
No-holds-barred, all-out mayhem from one half of the writing team who brought us Red Dwarf. ( )
  Tselja | Feb 4, 2010 |

"'The flight was uneventful enough, except the pilot accidentally touched down at a slightly wrong airport and forgot to lower the landing gear, so we left the plane by way of the emergency chute, which somebody forgot to inflate, and I lost my shoes.'" "Welcome to the future, where incompetence is a way of life." "And meet Detective Harry Salt, a man with a terrible problem: he's actually good at his job." "And if he can negotiate his way through the mess of contaminated evidence, ineptly filed crime reports and witnesses with long term memory disorders, he might just find a deadly serial killer, with a penchant for committing the perfect murder." "Before the killer finds him."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,654,204 books! | Top bar: Always visible