Savvy by Ingrid Law

Savvy (original 2008; edition 2010)

by Ingrid Law

1,746None4,033 (4.05)54
Member:JessicaABaker
Title:Savvy
Authors:Ingrid Law
Info:Puffin (2010), Paperback, 368 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:children's novel

Savvy by Ingrid Law (2008)

Holes by Louis Sachar (kimby365)
    kimby365: I can't guarantee that you'll enjoy that book if you enjoyed this one, but I'd say it's a pretty safe bet.
    A Snicker of Magic by Natalie Lloyd (foggidawn)
    True (. . . Sort Of) by Katherine Hannigan (kaledrina)
    Jolted: Newton Starker's Rules for Survival by Arthur Slade (kaledrina)
    Keeper by Kathi Appelt (kaledrina)
    kaledrina: Very similar writing styles and narrators.
    Dear Julia by Amy Bronwen Zemser (2Mu)
    2Mu: Similar tone and lyrical storytelling style.

I absolutely love it! I almost cried when they finally get to their dad at the hospital; I'm just impressed about how a book intended for younger readers can move an adult to tears. My heart will always be young ;)
Praise Ingrid Law!! ( )
  lmeza | Feb 6, 2014 |
Thirteen is when a Beaumont’s savvy hits—and with one brother who causes hurricanes and another who creates electricity, Mibs Beaumont is eager to see what she gets. But just before the big day, Poppa is in a terrible accident. And now all Mibs wants is a savvy that will save him. In fact, Mibs is so sure she’ll get a powerful savvy that she sneaks a ride to the hospital on a rickety bus with her sibling and the preacher’s kids in tow. After this extraordinary adventure—full of talking tattoos and a kidnapping—not a soul on board will ever be the same
BY: amazon reviews
  kplowman2 | Dec 9, 2013 |
Ever wondered what life would be like if you had magical powers? I really enjoyed this book. Law takes her readers on a journey revealing the untold truth of the characters in the book. Her use of imagery allows readers to paint a mental picture in their heads and experience life with Savvy. The book is long, but Law's word choice made the book appealing to its readers and easy to understand. Law's message to her readers is, "self discovery" and "accepting who you are." Every one is different, but that's what makes us special. ( )
  Kwatkins89 | Nov 25, 2013 |
I really had a hard time getting into this book. I just felt for most of this book it was 300 pages of filler. I had originally picked this book in class because it was the only one I had not read out of the collection multiple times. I wanted something different, but I really struggled to muster up any desire to read and finish this book. The main theme of the book is that everybody has a variety of characteristics. Each person is going to have different skills they are better at developing than others.

I usually do not have strong aversions to books, but this is one of the few exceptions. I found the book to be a long book that struggled to maintain my interest. It's 350 pages of a group of misfit children riding around on a bus in Nebraska and Kansas. While the book takes on elements younger readers may possibly enjoy, I find the aspect of shuffling around a plain state, just that, plain. There was so much potential for themes or concepts, but everything seemed to fall short. For example, the magic powers of storm and reading people's thoughts are generic. I also found the power points to not be as much of a major theme. They were prevalent, but not the primary focus.

I also feel that the conversational dialogue to be insipid a lot of times. Mississippi frequently sounded older than she was. I also found Fish to sound too old for his age. The language used in their dialogues just seemed forced. I got tired of following this endless road trip around page 100. ( )
  larasimmons2 | Nov 11, 2013 |
I enjoyed reading this book because of its engaging story plot and character development. Although the story contains many imaginative and magical aspects in that the Beaumont family have their special savvys, I liked how the each character and their superpowers seemed realistic. I especially liked how Mibs develops into a more courageous, responsible, and thoughtful teenager after going through a rough, thrilling, and memorable 13th birthday adventure. The main idea of this book is to help the readers see the value of family and the importance of taking on our own responsibilities. ( )
  AmyLim | Nov 4, 2013 |

Ingrid Lawprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Blau, LilyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Hannah with love as you blow dripping candles.
When my brother Fish turned thirteen, we moved to the deepest part of inland because of the hurricane and, of course, the fact that he'd caused it.

(from the inside jacket flap) Mibs Beaumont is about to become a teenager. As if that prospect weren't scary enough, thirteen is when a Beaumont's savvy strikes -- and with one brother who causes hurricanes and another who creates electricity, it promises to be outrageous ... and positively thrilling. But Just before her big day, Poppa is in a terrible accident. Suddenly, Mibs's dreams of X-ray vision disappear like a flash of her brother's lightning: All she wants now is a savvy that will save Poppa. In fact, Mibs is so sure she'll get that powerful savvy that she sneaks a ride to the hospital on a rickety bus, with her siblings and the preacher's kids in tow. But when the bus starts heading in the wrong direction only one thing is certain: After this extraordinary adventure, not a soul on board will ever be the same.

Recounts the adventures of Mibs Beaumont, whose thirteenth birthday has revealed her "savvy"--a magical power unique to each member of her family--just as her father is injured in a terrible accident.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,407,062 books! | Top bar: Always visible