Savvy by Ingrid Law

Savvy (original 2008; edition 2010)

by Ingrid Law

Member:patrick.brautigan
Title:Savvy
Authors:Ingrid Law
Info:Puffin (2010), Paperback, 368 pages
Tags:Newbery, Fantasy, Responsibility

Savvy by Ingrid Law (2008)

Holes by Louis Sachar (kimby365)
    kimby365: I can't guarantee that you'll enjoy that book if you enjoyed this one, but I'd say it's a pretty safe bet.
    A Snicker of Magic by Natalie Lloyd (foggidawn)
    True (. . . Sort Of) by Katherine Hannigan (kaledrina)
    Jolted: Newton Starker's Rules for Survival by Arthur Slade (kaledrina)
    Keeper by Kathi Appelt (kaledrina)
    kaledrina: Very similar writing styles and narrators.
    Dear Julia by Amy Bronwen Zemser (2Mu)
    2Mu: Similar tone and lyrical storytelling style.

Mibs has finally turned 13 and is dying to know her savvy. her brother Fish has his, which is controlling weather, and her younger brother Samson still doesn't know his yet. And on the morning of the day when she turned thirteen, Samson's dead turtle wakes up which brings Mibs to a conclusion. Her savvy must be waking things up. Her father at the time was severely hurt in a car crash and he wouldn't wake up so she needed to get to him and wake him up. But her mother had left with Fish and left to see her father in the hospital miles away so she couldn't get to him but she had to get to her father somehow so when she went to church she found a old bus that said that it was headed to the same area that her father was in so she went into the bus but when the bus driver got into the bus and was leaving he turned the wrong way! And that his how she went on a journey of a lifetime and met lots of new friends.
I liked this book because it was super suspensful and kept me reading it. I also liked this book because in the beginning of the book the book didn't really say what a savvy was and you had to keep reading to find out. ( )
  EmmaS91 | May 25, 2015 |
Although modern fantasy is not my favorite genre, I really enjoyed this book. It had enough of a modern feel without too many unrealistic events or characters. Mibs is a girl who, on her thirteenth birthday gets a "Savy" which is essentially a special power. Her savy turns out to be that she can read ink, and in turn, whoever owns the ink (handwriting, tattoos, etc.) she has the ability to mind read. I loved in the book when Mibs discovered her Savy when she see's Bobbi's angel tattoo and it talks to her saying, “She’s really very lonely, you know”and then Mibs faints. I loved the part of the book where the author writes, "You can't get rid of a part that makes you you and be happy." This was a wonderful story about family, friendship, and being happy with who you are. ( )
  tmalon4 | May 4, 2015 |
This science-fiction novel surrounds the Beaumont family who all (except the father) have a special power that they refer to as a "savvy." When the children find out that their father is unconscious in the hospital they sneak onto a bus with some friends in order to visit him. The children meet some interesting characters and get themselves into some trouble on the way.
I my opinion this is a must read book. It is incredibly moving and the detailed writing helped me visualize every moment. While Mibs looked out of the windows of the bus the view was described as, "field after field of last summer's dead brown cornstalks and rows of lifeless, skeletal irrigation equipment..." One of my favorite aspects of this book was the point of view. Mibs was the narrator and the main character who spoke with pizazz. She used playful words and phrases such as catawampus, harum-scarum, tittle-tattle tidbit, higgledy-piggledy and hobbledehoy. The first person point of view also helps the readers feel more connected to the story and to Mibs. The author has a very pure and sincere way of showing that Mibs is a very insightful being. Through Mibs inner dialogue, the reader can connect to how she is feeling at the moment. For example, Mibs reminds herself that she was running away for her father in order to save him she has an overwhelming feeling in her stomach as she thought, "I was running toward Poppa, but maybe-maybe-I was running away from something else." The big idea of this book is that everyone has something that is special about them and the impact only depends on what you do with your "special know how," as Mibs calls it. ( )
  nlinco1 | May 1, 2015 |
I loved this book because it involved a magical aspect as well as a coming of age theme, much like Harry Potter. It was cool how the story focused around Mibs finding her own talent when along the way, she realized everyone had a talent, magical or not. I also liked how this book focused around family, because even with a hugely unrealistic theme like magic, family is something everyone can relate to. I also liked how Mibs ability to speak to her fathers tattoo ended up helping even thought that seemed like an unhelpful savvy. The bid idea of this book was that everyone is unique and special in their own way! ( )
  jcuttitta | Apr 28, 2015 |
This book was a fun read. It is very different from the other books I have encountered. I think something that made this book great, was that it was written from Mibs perspective. The child's view is always more entertaining to me than and adults. I think something that caught my attention was how Mibs thought Lill was an angel. But not her own angel, Lester's angel. She could tell that they were meant for each other. I also really liked how the author seemed to make lateness, Lill's savvy. She was really good at being late to work and into Lester's life. Also, the story was very clever. I thought when the turtle and the father were not awake, that Mibs savvy would be waking things up. The morning of her birthday led to that belief. Although, everything changed, and that was not Mibs savvy, her real savvy ended up helping her family in the end. I think the big message of this story was the support that family gives. When Fish, Samson, and Mibs were off on their adventure, the amount of support that Fish gave to Mibs, without knowing her savvy yet, really showed that he had an understanding of her, and wanted to protect her. ( )
  AudreyLast | Apr 20, 2015 |

Ingrid Lawprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Blau, LilyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Hannah with love as you blow dripping candles.
When my brother Fish turned thirteen, we moved to the deepest part of inland because of the hurricane and, of course, the fact that he'd caused it.

(from the inside jacket flap) Mibs Beaumont is about to become a teenager. As if that prospect weren't scary enough, thirteen is when a Beaumont's savvy strikes -- and with one brother who causes hurricanes and another who creates electricity, it promises to be outrageous ... and positively thrilling. But Just before her big day, Poppa is in a terrible accident. Suddenly, Mibs's dreams of X-ray vision disappear like a flash of her brother's lightning: All she wants now is a savvy that will save Poppa. In fact, Mibs is so sure she'll get that powerful savvy that she sneaks a ride to the hospital on a rickety bus, with her siblings and the preacher's kids in tow. But when the bus starts heading in the wrong direction only one thing is certain: After this extraordinary adventure, not a soul on board will ever be the same.

Recounts the adventures of Mibs Beaumont, whose thirteenth birthday has revealed her "savvy"--a magical power unique to each member of her family--just as her father is injured in a terrible accident.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,316,624 books! | Top bar: Always visible