Savvy by Ingrid Law

Savvy (original 2008; edition 2010)

by Ingrid Law

Member:patrick.brautigan
Title:Savvy
Authors:Ingrid Law
Info:Puffin (2010), Paperback, 368 pages
Tags:Newbery, Fantasy, Responsibility

Savvy by Ingrid Law (2008)

Holes by Louis Sachar (kimby365)
    kimby365: I can't guarantee that you'll enjoy that book if you enjoyed this one, but I'd say it's a pretty safe bet.
    A Snicker of Magic by Natalie Lloyd (foggidawn)
    Three Times Lucky by Sheila Turnage (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: With homespun storytelling and fascinating companions in tow, two distinctive Southern girls are on involving missions: Moses LoBeau to find her real mother and solve a murder (Lucky), Mibs Beaumont to control her magical talent and save her injured father.… (more)
    True (. . . Sort Of) by Katherine Hannigan (kaledrina)
    Dear Julia by Amy Bronwen Zemser (2Mu)
    2Mu: Similar tone and lyrical storytelling style.
    Keeper by Kathi Appelt (kaledrina)
    kaledrina: Very similar writing styles and narrators.
    Jolted: Newton Starker's Rules for Survival by Arthur Slade (kaledrina)

English (176)  Dutch (1)  All languages (177)
I'm looking for my Savvy. This should have won the Newbery Award. ( )
  judybooklady | Jun 29, 2016 |
I found this adorable and hilarious, with just enough wisdom to make it memorable. Another one I'd never have found except for goodreads members, so thank you! ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Mibs Beaumont is about to turn 13 and when any member of the Beaumont family turns 13, the y get their savvy! Their savvy is a special power that makes them special. One day Mibs's dad gets hurt in a car accident and her mom and big brother go to see him which ruins Mibs's birthday. She is determined to sneak on a bus with her brothers and 2 other kids to go to Salina Hope Hospital. But along the way a lot of things go wrong,so will Mibs find a way to save her father and figure out her savvy? I loved this book because it was filled with suspense and adventure. I recommend this book to anyone that like road trips. ( )
  RajuR16 | Mar 26, 2016 |
I would use this book in a fifth grade classroom or in a middle school classroom. I would use this book at these grade levels because students will find it relatable because the main character is around that age. These students may also find this book relatable because the main character Mibs is trying to figure out who she is and a lot of kids at this age are going through that especially middle school students. I would use this book mainly as an independent reading book or as a read aloud book. ( )
  LRetzlaff | Mar 13, 2016 |
I found this book interesting and entertaining. I read a while ago, so I can't go into much detail. Even so, I would definitely recommend it to anyone who enjoys fantasy and/or likes the idea of having special powers. ( )
  jennk | Mar 11, 2016 |

Ingrid Lawprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Blau, LilyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Hannah with love as you blow dripping candles.
When my brother Fish turned thirteen, we moved to the deepest part of inland because of the hurricane and, of course, the fact that he'd caused it.

(from the inside jacket flap) Mibs Beaumont is about to become a teenager. As if that prospect weren't scary enough, thirteen is when a Beaumont's savvy strikes -- and with one brother who causes hurricanes and another who creates electricity, it promises to be outrageous ... and positively thrilling. But Just before her big day, Poppa is in a terrible accident. Suddenly, Mibs's dreams of X-ray vision disappear like a flash of her brother's lightning: All she wants now is a savvy that will save Poppa. In fact, Mibs is so sure she'll get that powerful savvy that she sneaks a ride to the hospital on a rickety bus, with her siblings and the preacher's kids in tow. But when the bus starts heading in the wrong direction only one thing is certain: After this extraordinary adventure, not a soul on board will ever be the same.

Recounts the adventures of Mibs Beaumont, whose thirteenth birthday has revealed her "savvy"--a magical power unique to each member of her family--just as her father is injured in a terrible accident.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,509,069 books! | Top bar: Always visible