Brisingr by Christopher Paolini

Brisingr (2008)

by Christopher Paolini (Author)

Series: The Inheritance Cycle (3)

8,136165389 (3.97)1 / 172
Recently added bysreeparna, kgthor, sncase1, private library, ladyofbadgers, Dreamchen, tsj009, sladdusaw

English (156)  German (4)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  French (1)  All languages (164)
Christopher Paolini's writing continues to improve as he advances through his telling of the Inheritance Cycle story. I thoroughly enjoyed this, and during my reading of it I was always anxious to pick it up again. The pacing is virtually flawless, making the book's daunting size seem inconsequential in retrospect. Some people complain that Paolini's books are derivative, citing obvious likenesses to Lord of the Rings and other well-known fantasy works. I suspect these people are just jealous of Paolini's relatively quick rise to fame. It must be absurdly difficult (impossible?) to write traditional fantasy without adoption of elements that could certainly be called derivative. While common themes and character types abound throughout the Inheritance books, Paolini's storytelling is wholly original, and that's what keeps the reader turning the pages. ( )
  S.D. | Apr 4, 2014 |
In the immortal words of Tolkien, “I warn you, if you bore me, I shall take my revenge.”

However, I don't have time for said revenge. The only thing I came out of this trilogy with was the knowledge of being in the loop when people talk about these books.

Perhaps I have been spoiled forever by Tolkien's works and should keep myself from judging others by his standards. But alas, I part with one final word overall...meh. ( )
  SparklePonies | Mar 10, 2014 |
This book was kind of a disappointment after the first two. It seemed to drag a little bit ( )
  Ahnya | Jan 25, 2014 |
1. The book's title:2. The author: christopher paolini
3. The illustrator's names:
4. The story is about:dragon slayers dragon riders and dungons
5. The main characters are:eragon ,saphira ( )
  brenty_boi | Dec 13, 2013 |
I had to stop about 1/3 of the way in because the writing was so painfully bad. If the kid had waited a few years and matured more before getting published, his books would have been a million times better. It's tragic that a potential talent might be squandered in mediocrity because he's so famous he doesn't have to push himself to write better. Nor does he have to care/listen/worry about advice from writers and editors because his books will be published regardless of quality.

He may yet prove me wrong, and I'd be happy if he did. I was intrigued by the plot of Brisingr, but I honestly couldn't read another page or I would have taken a red pen to the library copy I'd borrowed, and I don't think they'd like that. ( )
  shellwitte | Dec 11, 2013 |

Paolini, ChristopherAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bastia, ValeriaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Doyle, GerardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Palencar, John JudeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scotto di Santillo, Maria ConcettaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
As always, this book is for my family. And also for Jordan, Nina and Sylvie, the bright lights of a new generation. Atra esterni ono thelduin.
Eragon stared at the dark tower of stone wherein hid the monsters who had murdered his uncle, Garrow.
Fame or infamy, either one is preferable to being forgotten when you have passed from this realm. (Orik)

Following the colossal battle against the Empire's warriors on the Burning Plains, Eragon and his dragon, Saphira, have narrowly escaped with their lives. Still there is more at hand for the Rider and his dragon, as Eragon finds himself bound by a tangle of promises he may not be able to keep. First is Eragon's oath to his cousin Roran: to help rescue Roran's beloved, Katrina, from King Galbatorix's clutches. But Eragon owes his loyalty to others, too. The Varden are in desperate need of his talents and strength-as are the elves and dwarves. When unrest claims the rebels and danger strikes from every corner, Eragon must make choices-choices that take him across the Empire and beyond, choices that may lead to unimagined sacrifice. Eragon is the greatest hope to rid the land of tyranny. Can this once-simple farm boy unite the rebel forces and defeat the king?

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375826726, Hardcover)

Tad Williams and Christopher Paolini: Author One-on-One

Tad Williams is the New York Times bestselling author of several epic fantasy series. He lives in California.

Tad Williams Read on for Williams and Christopher Paolini's discussion about why they write fantasy, their upcoming projects, and more.

Tad: Hi, Christopher. Nice to talk to you, albeit virtually. It was great hanging out with you and your family this summer. Pretty much all of us fell in love with your part of the world, too.

Be warned: this isn't my best time of the day, so if I start calling you "Herman" and asking what it was about whaling that interested you, please forgive.

The first thing I'd like to ask you as a starter question is: why fantasy? I mean, there's the obvious answer (which is also true for me) that it was something I loved to read growing up, but I guess I'm curious what is it that still resonates for you. Why do these kind of stories, these kinds of characters, these kinds of worlds, still speak to you?

In a similar vein, do you have another kind of fiction, another genre, that you'd really like to try? If so, why? Any genres you think you'll never write but wish you could?

Christopher: Hi Tad. Great talking to you as well. We all had a wonderful time when you guys visited. Definitely one Of the highlights of the year.

I'm still waking up as well -- takes a few cups of tea and a few strips of bacon before the little gray cells start firing properly -- so if I sound a bit muddled, that's why. Still, we can make a stab at coherency, eh?

Christopher Paolini Hmm. Why do I write fantasy? As you said, it's because I enjoy reading it, but I enjoy reading it because . . . well, for a number of reasons, I suppose. First of all, fantasy allows for all sorts of dangerous situations, and those can provide a lot of excitement in a story. And excitement is always fun. Also, epic fantasy usually deals with themes and situations that everyone can relate to, such as the challenge of growing up, or how one is supposed to deal with moral quandaries. Fantasy is the oldest form of literature; the very first stories that humans told while crouched around campfires were stories about gods and monsters and tragic mistakes and heroic feats. Even now, those topics still resonate with us on a primal level, which is one reason I think fantasy will remain popular with readers as long as humans are still human. And I love the sense of awe and wonder one can often find in fantastical literature. . . . Fantasy can allow you to see and hear and experience things that have never existed and never *could* exist. To me, that is the closest we come to real magic in this world.

That said, there are a number of other genres I'd like to try my hand at: mystery, thriller, horror, science-fiction, romance, etc. I love stories of all kinds -- although mythic ones certainly hold the greatest appeal to me -- and I'm very much looking forward to experimenting once I finish the Inheritance cycle. Any genres I think I'll never write but wish I could? . . . Probably long-form epic poetry or a witty comedy of manners. Poetry is fun, but my grasp on it is rather shaky, and a comedy of manners (while I enjoy them) is so different from my usual life, I'm not sure I could pull it off properly.

And now a question for you: You have just finished your third (large) series. What is it about big epic stories that so fascinates you? Why not write small, intimate books about a fishmonger whose greatest love is his toothpick sculpture of the Brooklyn Bridge?

Read the full conversation

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:56:58 -0400)

The further adventures of Eragon and his dragon Saphira as they continue to aid the Varden in the struggle against the evil king, Galbatorix.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,601,983 books! | Top bar: Always visible