Brisingr by Christopher Paolini

by Christopher Paolini (Author)

Other authors: Christopher Paolini (Illustrator)

Series: The Inheritance Cycle (3)

8,710174348 (3.96)1 / 177

English (166)  German (4)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  French (1)  All languages (174)
@brisingr +eldest ( )
  Lorem | Sep 4, 2015 |
"This was an incredible book from the start. Differently from [b:Eldest|45978|Eldest (The Inheritance Cycle, #2)|Christopher Paolini|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1387119654s/45978.jpg|2035753], there was no slow part at all. Eragon's training is far from over, there is a lot that he has still to learn, but the time for peaceful hidden lessons is over. The people of Alagaësia that oppose Galbatorix are finally uniting and rebellion, with Eragon and Saphira's support, is erupting everywhere. This brought a welcome change in comparison to the previous book: it is much more strategical and political, other than magical. Of course magic is yet an essential part of Paolini's story, but here he tried to display the complexity of diplomatic relations between the different peoples of the world. As a result, I got to know a bunch of cultural facts and rituals that I couldn't even have imagined before, especially about dwarven culture.

Some people argue that this was an unnecessary book; that Paolini could have jumped straight to the grand finale. I disagree. This book was a great opportunity to develop all the plot and character further, it acted as that final breath you take before combat, an instant of preparation for the trials ahead. I feel that no one could have reacted as emotionally to the final book that was to come, had the stories depicted on Brisingr not been told.

It was very nice to see Roran becoming a hero on the previous books, leading his people to safety, but I enjoyed him in this book a lot more. It was nice to see him getting used to ""the new Eragon"" and the reinforcement of the brotherly relationship between the two. Nasuada is another character that can't stop surprising me; her ability to think things through during the most stressful times and take action with her own hands is very inspiring. I'm sure feminists would be sighing after her was she a real person. It was also interesting to see the relationship between Eragon and Arya evolve, now that he is not a ""weak human"" anymore. Paolini tries to bring in some emotional heart-breaking moments between the two, as Arya constantly refuses to acknowledge Eragon's feelings, but, sincerely, I couldn't care less. Forgive my honesty, but there is a freaking war bursting everywhere, with battles, political conflict, betrayals and freaking dragons, I just can't bring myself to feel down about a boy being denied love. Not with this book.

Despite some sad events at the ending, in my opinion, it was the best book of the series yet. It is absolutely gripping from start to finish, being filled with interesting content in every chapter. Despite being very long, there were few moments where I felt that the story was being dragged on. There was very solid character development, ground-breaking background revelations and awe-inspiring environment descriptions. Paolini got it all right on this one, really, there is nothing to complain I can think of.

Interesting quotes that I didn't include in the review:
Perhaps not one religion contains all of the truth of the world. Perhaps every religion contains fragments of the truth, and it is our responsibility to identify those fragments and piece them together.
The purpose of life is not to do what we want but what needs to be done.
The monsters of the mind are far worse than those that actually exist.

The Last Passage
He and Arya remained locked together for a long while, consoling each other, then Arya withdrew and said, ""How did it happen?""
""Oromis had one of his seizures, and while he was paralyzed, Galbatorix used Murtagh to-"" Eragon's voice broke, and he shook his head. ""I'll tell you about it along with Nasuada. She should know about this, and I don't want to have to describe it more than once.""
Arya nodded. ""Then let us go and see her.""
" ( )
  AdemilsonM | Sep 2, 2015 |
O primeiro livro foi fantástico. O segundo um pouco exaustivo mas ainda interessante. Este terceiro volume alonga-se exageradamente em algumas narrativas sendo por vezes demasiado fastidioso e aborrecido.
Temos de passar 750 páginas para perceber o título do livro e a que propósito. Falta neste volume aquela expectativa permanente que existia em cada livro do harry potter. Estava à espera de muito mais deste autor. ( )
  bruc79 | Jul 31, 2015 |
Very slow and not a lot of fun at this point. I am reading these as I have already invested so much time in the series and it really is like a bad investment I cant bare to pull out of as then I'll have nothing to show. ( )
  areadingmachine | Jul 6, 2015 |
Brisingr is the 3rd book in the Inheritance Cycle series. Again, the reader follows the life of the dragon rider Eragon and his dragon Saphira, while occasionally breaking to show scenes from the lives of other characters who are part of Eragon's circle of friends. The title comes from the name Eragon gives to his new sword, and the quest for this sword plays a large part in the plot of the book.

The books have become slightly less predictable over time. An example of this would be Eragon's acquisition of a new sword. It was previously established that the maker of Dragon Rider swords would no longer forge them, and since the loss of the one Eragon used it has been a point that is periodically made that he is in search of one he can call his own. However, while the success of his quest for a unique sword might be a little predictable, the author certainly has some other plot twists ready to include in the journey.

Overall, it was a nice read. I enjoy the world that Christopher Paolini has created, and I find it interesting to see the characters and how they change while they attempt to change this world for the better.
  GretchenLynn | Apr 16, 2015 |

Paolini, ChristopherAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Paolini, ChristopherIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bastia, ValeriaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Doyle, GerardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Palencar, John JudeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scotto di Santillo, Maria ConcettaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stefanidis, JoannisÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
As always, this book is for my family. And also for Jordan, Nina and Sylvie, the bright lights of a new generation. Atra esterni ono thelduin.
Eragon stared at the dark tower of stone wherein hid the monsters who had murdered his uncle, Garrow.
Fame or infamy, either one is preferable to being forgotten when you have passed from this realm. (Orik)

Following the colossal battle against the Empire's warriors on the Burning Plains, Eragon and his dragon, Saphira, have narrowly escaped with their lives. Still there is more at hand for the Rider and his dragon, as Eragon finds himself bound by a tangle of promises he may not be able to keep. First is Eragon's oath to his cousin Roran: to help rescue Roran's beloved, Katrina, from King Galbatorix's clutches. But Eragon owes his loyalty to others, too. The Varden are in desperate need of his talents and strength-as are the elves and dwarves. When unrest claims the rebels and danger strikes from every corner, Eragon must make choices-choices that take him across the Empire and beyond, choices that may lead to unimagined sacrifice. Eragon is the greatest hope to rid the land of tyranny. Can this once-simple farm boy unite the rebel forces and defeat the king?

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375826726, Hardcover)

Tad Williams and Christopher Paolini: Author One-on-One

Tad Williams is the New York Times bestselling author of several epic fantasy series. He lives in California.

Tad Williams Read on for Williams and Christopher Paolini's discussion about why they write fantasy, their upcoming projects, and more.

Tad: Hi, Christopher. Nice to talk to you, albeit virtually. It was great hanging out with you and your family this summer. Pretty much all of us fell in love with your part of the world, too.

Be warned: this isn't my best time of the day, so if I start calling you "Herman" and asking what it was about whaling that interested you, please forgive.

The first thing I'd like to ask you as a starter question is: why fantasy? I mean, there's the obvious answer (which is also true for me) that it was something I loved to read growing up, but I guess I'm curious what is it that still resonates for you. Why do these kind of stories, these kinds of characters, these kinds of worlds, still speak to you?

In a similar vein, do you have another kind of fiction, another genre, that you'd really like to try? If so, why? Any genres you think you'll never write but wish you could?

Christopher: Hi Tad. Great talking to you as well. We all had a wonderful time when you guys visited. Definitely one Of the highlights of the year.

I'm still waking up as well -- takes a few cups of tea and a few strips of bacon before the little gray cells start firing properly -- so if I sound a bit muddled, that's why. Still, we can make a stab at coherency, eh?

Christopher Paolini Hmm. Why do I write fantasy? As you said, it's because I enjoy reading it, but I enjoy reading it because . . . well, for a number of reasons, I suppose. First of all, fantasy allows for all sorts of dangerous situations, and those can provide a lot of excitement in a story. And excitement is always fun. Also, epic fantasy usually deals with themes and situations that everyone can relate to, such as the challenge of growing up, or how one is supposed to deal with moral quandaries. Fantasy is the oldest form of literature; the very first stories that humans told while crouched around campfires were stories about gods and monsters and tragic mistakes and heroic feats. Even now, those topics still resonate with us on a primal level, which is one reason I think fantasy will remain popular with readers as long as humans are still human. And I love the sense of awe and wonder one can often find in fantastical literature. . . . Fantasy can allow you to see and hear and experience things that have never existed and never *could* exist. To me, that is the closest we come to real magic in this world.

That said, there are a number of other genres I'd like to try my hand at: mystery, thriller, horror, science-fiction, romance, etc. I love stories of all kinds -- although mythic ones certainly hold the greatest appeal to me -- and I'm very much looking forward to experimenting once I finish the Inheritance cycle. Any genres I think I'll never write but wish I could? . . . Probably long-form epic poetry or a witty comedy of manners. Poetry is fun, but my grasp on it is rather shaky, and a comedy of manners (while I enjoy them) is so different from my usual life, I'm not sure I could pull it off properly.

And now a question for you: You have just finished your third (large) series. What is it about big epic stories that so fascinates you? Why not write small, intimate books about a fishmonger whose greatest love is his toothpick sculpture of the Brooklyn Bridge?

Read the full conversation

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:52 -0400)

The further adventures of Eragon and his dragon Saphira as they continue to aid the Varden in the struggle against the evil king, Galbatorix.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,756,338 books! | Top bar: Always visible