Brisingr (Inheritance, Book 3) by…

Brisingr (Inheritance, Book 3) (edition 2008)

by Christopher Paolini

9,775192296 (3.95)1 / 182
Member:joenba7
Title:Brisingr (Inheritance, Book 3)
Authors:Christopher Paolini
Info:Alfred A. Knopf (2008), Edition: First Printing, Hardcover, 763 pages
Collections:Your library, Read in 2012

Brisingr by Christopher Paolini (Author)

English (181)  German (4)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (1)  French (1)  All (1)  Dutch (1)  All (191)
  KadeishaEdwards | Apr 7, 2017 |
In Brisingr, Eragon battles Helgrind to rescue his cousin's fiance. They successfully rescue her, but Eragon finds Sloan, Katrina's (Roran's fiance) dad, and he decides to banish him. He doesn't want to tell Roran because Sloan was against the entire marriage. They leave, but Eragon stays behind. Sloan is blind because the Ra'zac pecked out his eyes. Eragon accidentally stumbles on Sloan's true name, allowing him to command Sloan to do anything. He places a spell that compels Sloan to go to the land of the elves, and the animals will get him food and water. To guarantee that it would work, he used Sloan true name. Eragon went back to Surda. Along the way he met Arya. They were involved in a small skirmish with a few of the emperor's soldiers. When they went back to the Varden, Eragon went to Ellesmera. There, he forged his own sword, made of brightsteel. He then uses it to take Feinster. While that, Roran has to go down south to Aroughs. He successfully takes the city by opening the flood gates. He used a log to use as the battering ram while the water rushed to the gates. Eragon discovered that the island off northwest of the mainland housed the last of the dragon rider forces before they were wiped out. Also (and much more importantly) it houses the last off the dragon eggs. The book ends here, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It has the best action ever, as well as complex political problems. I would recommend it to anyone higher of the age of 10. ( )
  kaip.g1 | Jan 19, 2017 |
Read December 2009
Read October 2010

December 2009 Review:
Eragon fights off Murtagh again, learns the source of Galbatorix's power, gets a new sword. Oromis and his dragon die. Roran learns lessons about politics and leadership.
I started this book with low expectations, but high enough to want to read it.
And we all find out that there is to be one more book. For some reason I didn't enjoy this as much as Eldest, but I have to admit, I think the story was better.

October 2010 Review:
The first couple of chapters felt REALLY familiar. I figured I had read a couple of chapters right after reading Eldest" and then put it down. By around the 300 mark I knew something was up. Nothing was new, I kept remembering what was happening.
So I checked my book blog and sure enough, I had read this back in December of '09.
Sigh." ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
it could have been better. to be honest, I was quite annoyed with Roran's storyline, though Nasuada's was quite interesting. and am I the only one who wants at least ONE point of view from Murtagh? I want to know what happens to him rather than just brief glimpses of him wrecking havic because old Galby told him too. argh! hope the fourth one's better. ( )
  almoskwa92 | Nov 4, 2016 |
I enjoyed reading this book, but i felt that there were several sections that were drawn-out. It could have been shorter and more interesting.

The namesake of the book might be my favorite part of "Brisingr".

My favorite character is still alive and there's hope for him.

It's not my favorite book in the series, but it's enjoyable. I'm looking forward to reading the last one.

*Reviewed on July 5, 2014.* ( )
  danaenicole | Oct 15, 2016 |

Paolini, ChristopherAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Paolini, ChristopherIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bastia, ValeriaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Doyle, GerardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Palencar, John JudeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scotto di Santillo, Maria ConcettaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stefanidis, JoannisÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
As always, this book is for my family. And also for Jordan, Nina and Sylvie, the bright lights of a new generation. Atra esterni ono thelduin.
Eragon stared at the dark tower of stone wherein hid the monsters who had murdered his uncle, Garrow.
Fame or infamy, either one is preferable to being forgotten when you have passed from this realm. (Orik)

Following the colossal battle against the Empire's warriors on the Burning Plains, Eragon and his dragon, Saphira, have narrowly escaped with their lives. Still there is more at hand for the Rider and his dragon, as Eragon finds himself bound by a tangle of promises he may not be able to keep. First is Eragon's oath to his cousin Roran: to help rescue Roran's beloved, Katrina, from King Galbatorix's clutches. But Eragon owes his loyalty to others, too. The Varden are in desperate need of his talents and strength-as are the elves and dwarves. When unrest claims the rebels and danger strikes from every corner, Eragon must make choices-choices that take him across the Empire and beyond, choices that may lead to unimagined sacrifice. Eragon is the greatest hope to rid the land of tyranny. Can this once-simple farm boy unite the rebel forces and defeat the king?

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375826726, Hardcover)

Tad Williams and Christopher Paolini: Author One-on-One

Tad Williams is the New York Times bestselling author of several epic fantasy series. He lives in California.

Tad Williams Read on for Williams and Christopher Paolini's discussion about why they write fantasy, their upcoming projects, and more.

Tad: Hi, Christopher. Nice to talk to you, albeit virtually. It was great hanging out with you and your family this summer. Pretty much all of us fell in love with your part of the world, too.

Be warned: this isn't my best time of the day, so if I start calling you "Herman" and asking what it was about whaling that interested you, please forgive.

The first thing I'd like to ask you as a starter question is: why fantasy? I mean, there's the obvious answer (which is also true for me) that it was something I loved to read growing up, but I guess I'm curious what is it that still resonates for you. Why do these kind of stories, these kinds of characters, these kinds of worlds, still speak to you?

In a similar vein, do you have another kind of fiction, another genre, that you'd really like to try? If so, why? Any genres you think you'll never write but wish you could?

Christopher: Hi Tad. Great talking to you as well. We all had a wonderful time when you guys visited. Definitely one Of the highlights of the year.

I'm still waking up as well -- takes a few cups of tea and a few strips of bacon before the little gray cells start firing properly -- so if I sound a bit muddled, that's why. Still, we can make a stab at coherency, eh?

Christopher Paolini Hmm. Why do I write fantasy? As you said, it's because I enjoy reading it, but I enjoy reading it because . . . well, for a number of reasons, I suppose. First of all, fantasy allows for all sorts of dangerous situations, and those can provide a lot of excitement in a story. And excitement is always fun. Also, epic fantasy usually deals with themes and situations that everyone can relate to, such as the challenge of growing up, or how one is supposed to deal with moral quandaries. Fantasy is the oldest form of literature; the very first stories that humans told while crouched around campfires were stories about gods and monsters and tragic mistakes and heroic feats. Even now, those topics still resonate with us on a primal level, which is one reason I think fantasy will remain popular with readers as long as humans are still human. And I love the sense of awe and wonder one can often find in fantastical literature. . . . Fantasy can allow you to see and hear and experience things that have never existed and never *could* exist. To me, that is the closest we come to real magic in this world.

That said, there are a number of other genres I'd like to try my hand at: mystery, thriller, horror, science-fiction, romance, etc. I love stories of all kinds -- although mythic ones certainly hold the greatest appeal to me -- and I'm very much looking forward to experimenting once I finish the Inheritance cycle. Any genres I think I'll never write but wish I could? . . . Probably long-form epic poetry or a witty comedy of manners. Poetry is fun, but my grasp on it is rather shaky, and a comedy of manners (while I enjoy them) is so different from my usual life, I'm not sure I could pull it off properly.

And now a question for you: You have just finished your third (large) series. What is it about big epic stories that so fascinates you? Why not write small, intimate books about a fishmonger whose greatest love is his toothpick sculpture of the Brooklyn Bridge?

Read the full conversation

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:52 -0400)

The further adventures of Eragon and his dragon Saphira as they continue to aid the Varden in the struggle against the evil king, Galbatorix.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,474,075 books! | Top bar: Always visible