Brisingr (Inheritance, Book 3) by…

Brisingr (Inheritance, Book 3) (edition 2008)

by Christopher Paolini

9,388187315 (3.95)1 / 182
Member:joenba7
Title:Brisingr (Inheritance, Book 3)
Authors:Christopher Paolini
Info:Alfred A. Knopf (2008), Edition: First Printing, Hardcover, 763 pages
Collections:Your library, Read in 2012

Brisingr by Christopher Paolini (Author)

English (177)  German (4)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (1)  French (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (187)
I've very much enjoyed listening to the audio books for this series with my 10 year old son. We'll be sad to finish the final book. ( )
  amcheri | Aug 22, 2016 |
The series started slow and derivative and has seriously only gone downhill. Nothing is original, nothing is beyond predictability, and nothing is said in five words if it can be said in a hundred twenty five. I won't accuse Paolini of purple prose, as that would take some artistic talent. No, he's just exceptionally long-winded without adding any depth to the novel. ( )
  benuathanasia | Jul 30, 2016 |
My least favorite of the cycle, but still a good book. A bit rushed, and not as planned out as the others, but still a great book, and an entertaining read ( )
  Shadow494 | Jun 20, 2016 |
I have enjoyed this entire series of books to date. The store is rich and full of details. I eagerly await the newest installment to the series. ( )
  BethMcV69 | Jun 17, 2016 |
I listened to the recorded version of Brisingr by Christopher Paolini. This is book three in the Inheritance Cycle by Paolini. This is a great kids book, but it is also one of the most bloated over written, and under-edited books I have listened to in a long time. The fact that the last quarter of the book is exciting and a great adventure doesn't make up for the totally boring three-quarters of almost mind numbing self-indulgent introspection plunked into a book that has been fortunate enough to make it to the best seller lists. While Paolini has succeeded in the great endeavor of world building he leaves the reader bored to tears with long passages full of various characters, including the dragon, indulging in long passages of introspection that add little to the story. This keeps the novel plodding along at a snails pace. To add insult to injury the sound recording includes an interview with the author, done by the editor of the books, that extolls the virtues of this extensive "character building." They can call it that if they want - I call it superfluous and boring. The high quality of the narration is what rescues this novel from the totally boring pile to discard. It is first rate and a great way for families to pass the miles while trucking on down the road. ( )
  benitastrnad | Jun 11, 2016 |

Paolini, ChristopherAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Paolini, ChristopherIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bastia, ValeriaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Doyle, GerardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Palencar, John JudeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scotto di Santillo, Maria ConcettaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stefanidis, JoannisÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
As always, this book is for my family. And also for Jordan, Nina and Sylvie, the bright lights of a new generation. Atra esterni ono thelduin.
Eragon stared at the dark tower of stone wherein hid the monsters who had murdered his uncle, Garrow.
Fame or infamy, either one is preferable to being forgotten when you have passed from this realm. (Orik)

Following the colossal battle against the Empire's warriors on the Burning Plains, Eragon and his dragon, Saphira, have narrowly escaped with their lives. Still there is more at hand for the Rider and his dragon, as Eragon finds himself bound by a tangle of promises he may not be able to keep. First is Eragon's oath to his cousin Roran: to help rescue Roran's beloved, Katrina, from King Galbatorix's clutches. But Eragon owes his loyalty to others, too. The Varden are in desperate need of his talents and strength-as are the elves and dwarves. When unrest claims the rebels and danger strikes from every corner, Eragon must make choices-choices that take him across the Empire and beyond, choices that may lead to unimagined sacrifice. Eragon is the greatest hope to rid the land of tyranny. Can this once-simple farm boy unite the rebel forces and defeat the king?

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375826726, Hardcover)

Tad Williams and Christopher Paolini: Author One-on-One

Tad Williams is the New York Times bestselling author of several epic fantasy series. He lives in California.

Tad Williams Read on for Williams and Christopher Paolini's discussion about why they write fantasy, their upcoming projects, and more.

Tad: Hi, Christopher. Nice to talk to you, albeit virtually. It was great hanging out with you and your family this summer. Pretty much all of us fell in love with your part of the world, too.

Be warned: this isn't my best time of the day, so if I start calling you "Herman" and asking what it was about whaling that interested you, please forgive.

The first thing I'd like to ask you as a starter question is: why fantasy? I mean, there's the obvious answer (which is also true for me) that it was something I loved to read growing up, but I guess I'm curious what is it that still resonates for you. Why do these kind of stories, these kinds of characters, these kinds of worlds, still speak to you?

In a similar vein, do you have another kind of fiction, another genre, that you'd really like to try? If so, why? Any genres you think you'll never write but wish you could?

Christopher: Hi Tad. Great talking to you as well. We all had a wonderful time when you guys visited. Definitely one Of the highlights of the year.

I'm still waking up as well -- takes a few cups of tea and a few strips of bacon before the little gray cells start firing properly -- so if I sound a bit muddled, that's why. Still, we can make a stab at coherency, eh?

Christopher Paolini Hmm. Why do I write fantasy? As you said, it's because I enjoy reading it, but I enjoy reading it because . . . well, for a number of reasons, I suppose. First of all, fantasy allows for all sorts of dangerous situations, and those can provide a lot of excitement in a story. And excitement is always fun. Also, epic fantasy usually deals with themes and situations that everyone can relate to, such as the challenge of growing up, or how one is supposed to deal with moral quandaries. Fantasy is the oldest form of literature; the very first stories that humans told while crouched around campfires were stories about gods and monsters and tragic mistakes and heroic feats. Even now, those topics still resonate with us on a primal level, which is one reason I think fantasy will remain popular with readers as long as humans are still human. And I love the sense of awe and wonder one can often find in fantastical literature. . . . Fantasy can allow you to see and hear and experience things that have never existed and never *could* exist. To me, that is the closest we come to real magic in this world.

That said, there are a number of other genres I'd like to try my hand at: mystery, thriller, horror, science-fiction, romance, etc. I love stories of all kinds -- although mythic ones certainly hold the greatest appeal to me -- and I'm very much looking forward to experimenting once I finish the Inheritance cycle. Any genres I think I'll never write but wish I could? . . . Probably long-form epic poetry or a witty comedy of manners. Poetry is fun, but my grasp on it is rather shaky, and a comedy of manners (while I enjoy them) is so different from my usual life, I'm not sure I could pull it off properly.

And now a question for you: You have just finished your third (large) series. What is it about big epic stories that so fascinates you? Why not write small, intimate books about a fishmonger whose greatest love is his toothpick sculpture of the Brooklyn Bridge?

Read the full conversation

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:52 -0400)

The further adventures of Eragon and his dragon Saphira as they continue to aid the Varden in the struggle against the evil king, Galbatorix.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,412,708 books! | Top bar: Always visible