Brisingr (Inheritance, Book 3) by…

Brisingr (Inheritance, Book 3) (edition 2008)

by Christopher Paolini

9,122180327 (3.95)1 / 177
Member:joenba7
Title:Brisingr (Inheritance, Book 3)
Authors:Christopher Paolini
Info:Alfred A. Knopf (2008), Edition: First Printing, Hardcover, 763 pages
Collections:Your library, Read in 2012

Brisingr by Christopher Paolini (Author)

English (171)  German (4)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (180)
This book was insanely amazing! Eragon was a great first book, similar to Star Wars in many ways (obviously not in the future), then Eldest was an interesting and necessary second book that wasn't the most exciting to most people but provided details that the story needed in order to progress. Brisingr brings back the excitement of the first one and certainly adds the integral next step in the series. It is clear that the author improved his writing very much. There are puzzles galore and the world expands into a much more diverse and magical place. There are so many topics that one could spend a lifetime discussing. My favorite thing to consider is the introduction of Tenga. What is he doing? What is the question he seeks to answer? Who is he? And how does Angela know him? None of these are answered but they are interesting topics to consider. The most interesting aspect of this book however is the eradication of the simple good and evil titles for the Varden and the Empire. In the first book it was clear that the Empire was bad and the Varden was good, but Brisingr brings those labels into question. Certainly some characters are one dimensional (the Ra'zac) but many others become increasingly difficult to understand completely. The urgals are not the mindless beasts that they were characterized as in the first book. Indeed, even the Imperial soldiers are not characterized as evil. They are simply defending their home against non-humans that seem scary to them such as urgals and dwarves and elves. The elves are seemingly more characteristic of the bad guys than the Imperials are. Queesn Islanzadi is characterized as imperious and aloof and even uncaring for those that are not elves. Eragon meanwhile is stuck in the middle trying to do what he believes is right. ( )
  DrPedro | Mar 28, 2016 |
O primeiro livro foi fantástico. O segundo um pouco exaustivo mas ainda interessante. Este terceiro volume alonga-se exageradamente em algumas narrativas sendo por vezes demasiado fastidioso e aborrecido.
Temos de passar 750 páginas para perceber o título do livro e a que propósito. Falta neste volume aquela expectativa permanente que existia em cada livro do harry potter. Estava à espera de muito mais deste autor. ( )
  bruc79 | Mar 27, 2016 |
I'd rate this at 3.5 stars. It's certainly an improvement over the previous book in the series, and shows solid progress in characterization and dialogue. It's also refreshing to see a bit of humor. ( )
  Gingermama | Jan 24, 2016 |
A very good continuation of the tale Paolini created. If you've read the first two books, definitely read this one. If you haven't hurry up and read Eragon and catch up. ( )
  biggs1399 | Jan 19, 2016 |

Paolini, ChristopherAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Paolini, ChristopherIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bastia, ValeriaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Doyle, GerardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Palencar, John JudeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scotto di Santillo, Maria ConcettaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stefanidis, JoannisÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
As always, this book is for my family. And also for Jordan, Nina and Sylvie, the bright lights of a new generation. Atra esterni ono thelduin.
Eragon stared at the dark tower of stone wherein hid the monsters who had murdered his uncle, Garrow.
Fame or infamy, either one is preferable to being forgotten when you have passed from this realm. (Orik)

Following the colossal battle against the Empire's warriors on the Burning Plains, Eragon and his dragon, Saphira, have narrowly escaped with their lives. Still there is more at hand for the Rider and his dragon, as Eragon finds himself bound by a tangle of promises he may not be able to keep. First is Eragon's oath to his cousin Roran: to help rescue Roran's beloved, Katrina, from King Galbatorix's clutches. But Eragon owes his loyalty to others, too. The Varden are in desperate need of his talents and strength-as are the elves and dwarves. When unrest claims the rebels and danger strikes from every corner, Eragon must make choices-choices that take him across the Empire and beyond, choices that may lead to unimagined sacrifice. Eragon is the greatest hope to rid the land of tyranny. Can this once-simple farm boy unite the rebel forces and defeat the king?

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375826726, Hardcover)

Tad Williams and Christopher Paolini: Author One-on-One

Tad Williams is the New York Times bestselling author of several epic fantasy series. He lives in California.

Tad Williams Read on for Williams and Christopher Paolini's discussion about why they write fantasy, their upcoming projects, and more.

Tad: Hi, Christopher. Nice to talk to you, albeit virtually. It was great hanging out with you and your family this summer. Pretty much all of us fell in love with your part of the world, too.

Be warned: this isn't my best time of the day, so if I start calling you "Herman" and asking what it was about whaling that interested you, please forgive.

The first thing I'd like to ask you as a starter question is: why fantasy? I mean, there's the obvious answer (which is also true for me) that it was something I loved to read growing up, but I guess I'm curious what is it that still resonates for you. Why do these kind of stories, these kinds of characters, these kinds of worlds, still speak to you?

In a similar vein, do you have another kind of fiction, another genre, that you'd really like to try? If so, why? Any genres you think you'll never write but wish you could?

Christopher: Hi Tad. Great talking to you as well. We all had a wonderful time when you guys visited. Definitely one Of the highlights of the year.

I'm still waking up as well -- takes a few cups of tea and a few strips of bacon before the little gray cells start firing properly -- so if I sound a bit muddled, that's why. Still, we can make a stab at coherency, eh?

Christopher Paolini Hmm. Why do I write fantasy? As you said, it's because I enjoy reading it, but I enjoy reading it because . . . well, for a number of reasons, I suppose. First of all, fantasy allows for all sorts of dangerous situations, and those can provide a lot of excitement in a story. And excitement is always fun. Also, epic fantasy usually deals with themes and situations that everyone can relate to, such as the challenge of growing up, or how one is supposed to deal with moral quandaries. Fantasy is the oldest form of literature; the very first stories that humans told while crouched around campfires were stories about gods and monsters and tragic mistakes and heroic feats. Even now, those topics still resonate with us on a primal level, which is one reason I think fantasy will remain popular with readers as long as humans are still human. And I love the sense of awe and wonder one can often find in fantastical literature. . . . Fantasy can allow you to see and hear and experience things that have never existed and never *could* exist. To me, that is the closest we come to real magic in this world.

That said, there are a number of other genres I'd like to try my hand at: mystery, thriller, horror, science-fiction, romance, etc. I love stories of all kinds -- although mythic ones certainly hold the greatest appeal to me -- and I'm very much looking forward to experimenting once I finish the Inheritance cycle. Any genres I think I'll never write but wish I could? . . . Probably long-form epic poetry or a witty comedy of manners. Poetry is fun, but my grasp on it is rather shaky, and a comedy of manners (while I enjoy them) is so different from my usual life, I'm not sure I could pull it off properly.

And now a question for you: You have just finished your third (large) series. What is it about big epic stories that so fascinates you? Why not write small, intimate books about a fishmonger whose greatest love is his toothpick sculpture of the Brooklyn Bridge?

Read the full conversation

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:52 -0400)

The further adventures of Eragon and his dragon Saphira as they continue to aid the Varden in the struggle against the evil king, Galbatorix.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,134,195 books! | Top bar: Always visible