Batman: Hush by Jeph Loeb

Batman: Hush (edition 2009)

by Jeph Loeb, Jim Lee (Illustrator)

I figured out the one guy who was involved in it by the second issue but I didn't see the last one coming. ( )
  ptdilloway | Nov 21, 2013 |
Gorgeous artwork (Jim Lee is pretty unbeatable when he's on his game) but the story doesn't feel as fresh or interesting as the last Batman work by Loeb I read, The Long Hallowe'en. This feels like a polished up retread of the well worn Batman detective stories, which is fine but the story just doesn't hold up for me. Luckily, the character interactions are much more interesting, although no villain is really given enough page time to truly make a deep impact, and I'm a sucker for some sharp Batman/Catwoman dialogue. It's a damn enjoyable piece of work but not an instant classic. ( )
  Ceilidhann | Sep 20, 2013 |
Not as bad as I thought it would be...

Artwork first: When Jim Lee really likes what he's drawing it shows. He'll put a ridiculous amount of detail into a full-page shot of the Joker crouching in an alley. But, when it comes to illustrating conversations that move the plot forward, backgrounds are barely drawn and perspective is usually ignored. Of course, none of his female characters could possibly have a digestive system, but let's chalk that up to a stylistic quirk. Or at least sex appeal for the Maxim crowd.

The story is forgivingly ridiculous, in that superhero way. Lots of drama here. Lots of kung-fu fighting and things blowing up. But there's also a bit of thought put into this. If there's a theme to the book, it's that of Batman's relationships to his "family" that he's built up over the years.

Perhaps the thing that separates him from the villians is his support network, eh?

I'd put this on the same level as the recent movies: interesting things to look at and a good springboard for discussion. Not a masterpiece by a long shot, but solid. ( )
  randoymwords | Dec 2, 2012 |
Really great reunion of many Batman characters, as well as others in the D.C. universe [Superman, Lois Lane, etc.]. Poison Ivy takes a main seat in the story development which was a major plus for me [I'll admit personal bias since she's one of my favorite D.C. characters]. Very well-drawnn, and in Batman's flashbacks to his childhood you see classic D.C. characters drawn as they were back in the day of early comics. A great work for anyone itching for a touch of nostolgia. ( )
  SadieOldenkamp | Nov 4, 2012 |
Overall, reasonable. Bit of a "greatest hits" type of novel, the twists and turns were not entirely unexpected....Overall, a reasonable effort, but there are a lot better Batman novels out there ( )
  aadyer | Oct 17, 2010 |

Loeb, JephWriterprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lee, JimIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Williams, ScottInkermain authorall editionsconfirmed
Please, do not combine the Absolute Edition with other single-volume editions (Hardcover or Paperback) due to different content.

Batman's relationship with Catwoman becomes more intense as an unknown foe, known only as Hush, continues to train the Dark Knight's adversaries, such as the Joker and Harley Quinn, while inflicting torturous mental and physical terror upon Batman, Robin, and Nightwing.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,494,858 books! | Top bar: Always visible