Batman: Hush by Jeph Loeb

Batman: Hush (edition 2009)

by Jeph Loeb, Jim Lee (Illustrator)

When I read this book I may or may not have pried myself away from its pages at 1 in the morning and promised I would get back to it soon, whimpering as I walked away from it.

Hush is fantastic. It is really a masterpiece. The art is beautiful, the watercolour flashbacks are gorgeous, it is so detailed and so vast and so sprawling. There are lots and lots of full-page panels, which I adore and I loved this cast of characters.

Most of all I loved Catwoman. Catwoman and I have a long-standing difficult relationship that has to do with how she was depicted when I was younger by certain problematic comic book artists. I feel like Loeb and everyone involved makes her sassier, cheekier and just generally disruptive and I am starting to fall in love with her again.

There are so many easter eggs and surprises I definitely want to reread this one to go and see if I can pick out any from the pages. The other thing I loved was the writing, the dialogue really fits the characters and there were some really, really authentic moments, which is difficult for a comic book.

The plot I didn't like so much, but I am more of a character-driven reader and writer, that's just how I work.

This is just a visually stunning feat of work and I'm so happy that I found my edition so I can reread it and reread it over and over again. c: ( )
  lydia1879 | Aug 31, 2016 |
Dynamic art, I liked it, and gorgeous fully fleshed backgrounds. You can easily recognized the style as Jim Lee without looking at the credits, especially the faces and feet, that he still hasn't improved since the 90's :P Loved the many full page poses, cheesy, yes, but they were beautiful.

Story is nothing exceptional, but it was entertaining. The ending is bleh. It's like they decided to end it one issue before it was supposed to end, and they gave it the traditional "non-ending" where the bad guy fall in the water and they don't find the body. *sigh* ( )
  kinwolf | Jul 8, 2016 |
I like Catwoman, I have liked her since I saw Batman with Michelle Pfeiffer in the role. For me she is the perfect Catwoman and Halle Berry and Anne Hathaway isn’t half a Catwoman as she is! Anyway this is a great comic book; I started reading it late an evening (never a good thing when one has to go up early to find something so delicious to read) and I it was such a good story with lots of lots of villains and some Batman & Catwoman luve!! I’m a girl, I like a bit of snogging sometimes in comics.

The mastermind behind it all? Well it wasn’t all that surprising when he/she was finally reviled. But still it was a freakily great comic.

4.5 stars!

MaraBlaise | Jun 14, 2016 |

4.5 stars!

| Feb 9, 2016 | edit |
Great story and amazing art!!! A must read for any batman fan! ( )
  biggs1399 | Jan 19, 2016 |

Loeb, JephWriterprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lee, JimIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Williams, ScottInkermain authorall editionsconfirmed
Please, do not combine the Absolute Edition with other single-volume editions (Hardcover or Paperback) due to different content.

Batman's relationship with Catwoman becomes more intense as an unknown foe, known only as Hush, continues to train the Dark Knight's adversaries, such as the Joker and Harley Quinn, while inflicting torturous mental and physical terror upon Batman, Robin, and Nightwing.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,726,846 books! | Top bar: Always visible