Maelstrom by Peter Watts

Maelstrom (2001)

by Peter Watts

Series: Rifters Trilogy (Book 2)

3.5 stars ( )
  natcontrary | May 21, 2018 |
I found Maelstrom even more exciting than the first book in the series, and the way the software was unconsciously evolving to help Lenie was fascinating. ( )
  isabelx | Jun 2, 2016 |
This one I didn't read on my phone, this one I had a real hard paper copy of, so quaint and real, an artifact of a forgotten age. I ALSO had it on my phone, though, and I did read a few chapters that way, torn between the ancient and the modern! What will become of me!

Nothing nice, according to Peter Watts. If we thought things were dark on the bottom of the ocean, we had no idea how inky-black things were going to get back on the surface.

In an effort to destroy a planet-threatening microbe, a nuclear bomb was set off at a deep-sea vent, triggering an earthquake and tsunami that killed millions. It was all for nothing, as Leni Clarke swims ashore on the Colorado coast with vengeance in mind and the Behemoth bug in her blood. Everywhere she goes, death follows on a horrible scale, but not from the bug, from the authorities desperate to sterelise Behemoth out of existence. She becomes a legend, a myth, a messiah, and in the howling wilderness that used to be the internet, she inadvertently causes something unprecedented and incredibly dangerous to evolve.

The scope broadens, from the inky depths to the sprawling continent of North America, as forces marshal to help or hinder Leni on her insane odyssey. This is an epic, action-packed tale of doom and destruction, the very bleeding edge of science fiction. Brilliant. ( )
  Nigel_Quinlan | Oct 21, 2015 |
This book was disappointing, even though I'd been warned that it was a totally different animal than Starfish. Now, I like a good apocalypse. I really like a good apocalypse, especially one borne on the back of a virus. So I was looking forward to this book, despite it being a radical change from Starfish.

But... I was so blah on the characters. I dunno. We'd flip between POVs and I'd just..flip past. I quit when I realized I was skimming the pages around 40% of the way through. Maybe I should have persevered -- the end hadn't come yet -- but I was just so blah about it I didn't know if I'd pick up enough detail to be able to follow along once we did get to the action.

lyrrael | Oct 17, 2015 |
I thought Maelstrom started out very slow. It started off with a lot of the technical details that had made Starfish feel like an authentic story, but it wasn’t anywhere near as well mixed in with an interesting story and compelling character building like Starfish was. The new characters introduced in Maelstrom didn’t grab me as much as the characters introduced in Starfish had and I never felt any real investment in them.

However, somewhere around the 25% mark, the story did pick up. From that point, it easily held my attention until the end. Although I didn’t like this book as much as I liked Starfish, I did enjoy it. I’ll definitely be reading the next book to find out what happens. ( )
  YouKneeK | Jan 20, 2014 |

Peter Wattsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Jensen, BruceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Laurie
"Though she be but little, she is fierce."
The day after Patricia Rowan saved the world, a man named Elias Murphy brought a piece of her conscience home to roost.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0765320533, Paperback)

This is the way the world ends:

A nuclear strike on a deep sea vent.  The target was an ancient microbe—voracious enough to drive the whole biosphere to extinction—and a handful of amphibious humans called rifters who’d inadvertently released it from three billion years of solitary confinement.

The resulting tsunami killed millions.  It’s not as through there was a choice: saving the world excuses almost any degree of collateral damage.

Unless, of course, you miss the target.

Now North America’s west coast lies in ruins.  Millions of refugees rally around a mythical figure mysteriously risen from the deep sea.  A world already wobbling towards collapse barely notices the spread of one more blight along its shores.  And buried in the seething fast-forward jungle that use to be called Internet, something vast and inhuman reaches out to a woman with empty white eyes and machinery in her chest.  A woman driven by rage, and incubating Armageddon.

Her name is Lenie Clarke.  She’s a rifter.  She’s not nearly as dead as everyone thinks.

And the whole damn world is collateral damage as far as she’s concerned. . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:15 -0400)

An enormous tidal wave on the west coast of North America has just killed millions. Lenie Clarke, in a black wetsuit, walks out of the ocean onto a Pacific Northwest beach filled with the opressed and drugged homeless of the Asian world, who have gotten only this far in their attempt to reach America. Is she a monster or a goddess?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,508,673 books! | Top bar: Always visible