Le prix de la magie by Mercedes Lackey
Member:Tafadhali
Title:Le prix de la magie
Authors:Mercedes Lackey
Info:Pocket (1999), Mass Market Paperback
Tags:american, sci fi, lgbt, 20th century, en francais, unread, fiction

Magic's Price by Mercedes Lackey (1990)

Brightly Burning by Mercedes Lackey (kaydern)
    kaydern: One of Mercedes Lackey's other books that features a gay main character!

This one made me cry. ( )
  Darth-Heather | May 31, 2016 |
The final book in The Last Herald-Mage series, this is a strong and moving conclusion to Vanyel's story. I like Vanyel, in part because he does his best, but isn't perfect. His strengths and flaws make this book a powerful story of love (of people and country) and duty. There are some scenes of sexual violence that are more implied than graphically covered, but it is integral to the story.

If you like fantasy, start at the beginning with Magic's Pawn and read the trilogy. I'm willing to bet you will like it. ( )
  Jean_Sexton | Feb 14, 2016 |
While I have loved this series, I think that this one is my least favorite of the three. I love Vanyel's character as much as ever, even with all of his stubbornness. For me it was Stefan's character, as well as bits of his back story, that just didn't do it for me. Luckily, more of the story focused on Vanyel and that made me happy!

Vanyel is as protective and fiercely loyal as everl He is also always willing to risk himself for the greater good. But Stefan... I wanted to love him, and I did like him, but there were moments that even that was a struggle. He was such a foikl to Vanyel. Vanyel is loyal and noble and honest and I felt like Stefan skirted the edge of nobility and honesty. As a Bard, he had the means to use his Gifts to peacok a bit, to influence others, and to gain personal wealth. And while he used his Gifts in very good ways, he also tended to use them in ways that weren't. And the attitude was always one of surprise when ethics were pointed out to him. That was largely unbelievable to me, considering the back story of the Bards and their training. And he did a whole lot of manipulating of Vanyel himself. He just didn't get the drive that a hero has to save the world. In actuality, Stefan was probably the most realistic character in the novel. He was flawed and he was really just a regular guy with some musical gifts. But in the context of a high fantasy novel, he just seemed to be the odd man out.

However, I did love the story. In true Vanyel style, he was driven hero of the story that risked himself repeatedly to save the kingdom and those he loved. He is the character that I always felt deserved to be truly happy and I am not sure he ever got that in life, not really. There were a lot of twists and turns in this book, some a bit predictable and some far less so. There was one regarding Stefan that I am truly not sure how I feel about, although it does answer a lot of questions. And the ending was a bittersweet one that I appreciated!

My Recommendation: True, it was not my favorite of the series, but it is an important part of the overall saga. I do recommend it for invested readers of the series.

This review originally appeared on my blog, The Caffeinated Diva reads. ( )
  Kiki870 | Sep 21, 2015 |
Great fantasy trilogy with a gay MC published in 1989/1990 when there weren't a lot of books with positive gay characters for younger readers. Even better, it has held up well over time. Wonderful sci/fi read. ka ( )
  GayCityLGBTLibrary | Jun 6, 2015 |
This is the final book in the 'Last Herald-Mage' and, as the series name intimates, the Herald-Mages of Valdemar have decreased in number to such an extent that Vanyel is the last active Mage amongst the Heralds as he battles Karse. But when his aunt dies under such circumstances that 'accident' could be ruled out Vanyel realises that there is another enemy out there attacking Valdemar's defences and he goes on a vengeance filled quest to find this enemy, only to be brought back to his senses by his lover, the Bard Stefan.

This is easily the best book in the trilogy even though it does get a little icky in places ( )
  JohnFair | Apr 19, 2015 |

Mercedes Lackeyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lee, Jody A.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Russell Galen, Judith Louvis and Sally Paduch and everyone who dreams of wearing Whites.
Sweat ran down Herald Vanyel's back, and his ankle hurt a little - he hadn't twisted it, quite, when he'd slipped on the wooden floor of the salle back at the beginning of this bout, but it was still bothering him five exchanges later.

VALDEMAR - the once-peaceful kingdom protected by the magic of its Herald-Mages - is now besieged on all fronts. The king lies near death, the neighbouring land of Karse wages a relentless war against Valdemar, and the forces led by a master of dark forbidden magic are massing to strike the final devastating blow against the kingdom.

And Vanyel, the most powerful Herald-Mage Valdemar has ever known, has become the primary target of the evil which is reaching out to poison all the land. With all his fellow mages slain, Vanyel alone remains to defend his people against the dark master’s army. Yet a dream vision has revealed to Vanyel the fate which awaits should he and his Companion Yfandes take up the dark master’s challenge. And if either Vanyel or Yfandes falters, the dream will become a horrifying reality in which both Valdemar and its last Herald-Mage must pay the ultimate price…

For mature teens, a fantasy in which Vanyel is pitted against the murderous Master Dark. This is the third novel of the Last Herald-Mage trilogy. Preceded by Magic's Pawn (1989) and Magic's Promise (1990). The final chapter in Mercedes Lackey 's spellbinding fantasy trilogy! The Herald-Mage, Vanyel, and his Companion, Yfandes, are alone responsible for saving the once-peaceful kingdom of Valdemar from the forces of a master who wields a dark, forbidding magic. And if either Vanyel or Yfandes falters, both Valdemar and its Herald-Mage must pay the ultimate price.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,600,258 books! | Top bar: Always visible