Magic's Promise by Mercedes Lackey
Title:Magic's Promise
Authors:Mercedes Lackey
Info:DAW Books (1994), Paperback

Magic's Promise by Mercedes Lackey

This book takes up long after the end of Magic's Pawn and Vanyel is exhuasted by the wild magic and trauma that he has been through. He is almost an entirely different person in this book, changed and matured with the experiences of his past. As much as I loved the first book, I think I love Vanyel as a character even more in this book.

Over the years, he has become everything he was meant to be... and all of the things his father would never have imagined. He is a hero of Valdemar and has dedicated his life to keeping its people safe, even at his own expense. He is told to take some leave to rest and recuperate and goes to the most unlikely place,... Askevron Manor. But it isn't long before he realizes that there are things happening just beyond the borders that threaten everything.

Once again, I think Vanyel and his circumstances are universally relatable. I love Vanyel and I love his story. He is such a sympathetic character so it is easy to root for him throughout the story. Even after everything he has done for the kingdom, his parents still can't see him for who he is. His father is still dismissive and his mother is still throwing her ladies at him. And as a person, despite all that he has been through, he still has so much to learn about life, love, and moving forward after grief. This book also answered a lot of questions about some characters from the first book, particularly the family priest and the weaponsmaster. They were extraordinarily hateful in the first book with no real explanation as to why that was so extreme.

As with the other books, this one is full of twists and turns and intrigue. I think that there is an added level of suspense in this particular book because Vanyel is, as the series title suggests, the last of his kind. He is the last Herald-Mage. So much rides on him and there are moments when you wonder, even knowing there is another book in the trilogy, if he is going to survive.

My Recommendation: I highly recommend this series if you love high fantasy and rich, relatable characters!

This review originally posted on my blog The Caffeinated Diva reads. ( )
  Kiki870 | Sep 21, 2015 |
A classic book/series published in 1989/1990 when there weren't a lot of books for young gay kids to read. Even better, it has held up well over time. Great fantasy read with a gay MC. ( )
  GayCityLGBTLibrary | Jun 6, 2015 |
This is the second book in the Last Heral-Mage series and opens a few years after the opening book with Vanyel now an accepted and powerful mage and Herald in the service of Valdemar. On a visit to his family on an uneasy border, Vanyel senses a magical attack and investigates the situation to find the disputed eldest son of the kingdom blamed for the death of his family and being joined by a Companion. In order to sort out these contradictions, Vanyel takes the heir home while he investigates the situation.

This is a decent story dealing with just this mystery ( )
  JohnFair | Apr 12, 2015 |
I love this author and this series is one of my favorites. ( )
  RBeene | Mar 18, 2015 |
I remember reading it years ago and loving it to death. The wow-ness has faded , but i still enjoyed reading it this time around. It seems more of a young adult book than an adult book due to the writing style, but the story is entertaining. One of my favorite Lackey series to date. Vanyel is a great character. There are some stories where the really good writing takes the book far, and there are some where it's the story that takes it far. This is one of the latters. I still cant place my tongue on exactly what the magic is, but there is magic there. ( )
  Kassilem | May 20, 2013 |

Mercedes Lackeyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lee, Jody A.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to: Elizabeth (Betsy) Wollheim. Who said - "Go for it"
The blue leather saddlebags and a canvas pack, all bulging with filthy clothing and miscellaneous gear, landed in a corner of Vanyel's room with three dull thuds.
Surrounded as it was by newer, smaller outbuildings of whitewashed stucco, it [Forst Reach] resembled a vast and rather ill-natured gray granite hen squatting among a flock of paler chicks.
Baby Heralds wrecking rooms, adult Heralds making magic Gates and then falling through them half-dead, a possible war on the Border, and still somehow the beds get made. What a world.-- p. 187

THE WILD MAGIC is taking it's toll on the land. Many Heralds and Herald-Mages have died fighting to preserve the peace. Even Vanyel, the most powerful of the Herald-Mages is almost at the end of his strength, in need of a respite from the dual threats of war and dark magic.

But for Vanyel, there can be no rest. Not when his Companion, Yfandes, receives a summons which can't be ignored - a desperate cry for help which draws them both into the heart of a magical holocaust in the neighbouring kingdom. Almost overwhelmed by the devastation they discover there, Herald-Mage and Companion must try to unravel this tragic mystery. Is the young Prince Tashir, a newly Chosen Herald who can't control his own magic, responsible for the destruction? Or is Tashir a pawn in a deeper, more deadly game - and, if so, will Vanyel be able to find and defeat the true destroyer before this master of dark powers can strike again?

With King Randale stricken by a mysterious illness and the powerful Herald-Mage Vanyel at the end of his strength, a neighboring kingdom is threatened by a magical holocaust. The wild magic is taking its toll on the land, and even Vanyel, the most powerful Herald-Mage to ever walk the world, is almost at the end of his strength. But when his Companion, Yfandes, receives a call for help from neighboring Lineas, both Herald-Mage and Companion are drawn into a holocaust of dark magic that could be the end of them both.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,847,879 books! | Top bar: Always visible