Magic's Promise (The Last Herald-Mage…

Magic's Promise (The Last Herald-Mage Series, Book 2) (edition 1990)

by Mercedes Lackey

Member:mycalls
Title:Magic's Promise (The Last Herald-Mage Series, Book 2)
Authors:Mercedes Lackey
Info:DAW (1990), Paperback, 320 pages
Rating:*****

Magic's Promise by Mercedes Lackey

Recently added byapostate, c_neva, private library, ssleif, add901, lauramreid, Ithiaca, ashleynicole88, kechara, nielsnej

This is the second book in the Last Heral-Mage series and opens a few years after the opening book with Vanyel now an accepted and powerful mage and Herald in the service of Valdemar. On a visit to his family on an uneasy border, Vanyel senses a magical attack and investigates the situation to find the disputed eldest son of the kingdom blamed for the death of his family and being joined by a Companion. In order to sort out these contradictions, Vanyel takes the heir home while he investigates the situation.

This is a decent story dealing with just this mystery ( )
  JohnFair | Apr 12, 2015 |
I love this author and this series is one of my favorites. ( )
  RBeene | Mar 18, 2015 |
I remember reading it years ago and loving it to death. The wow-ness has faded , but i still enjoyed reading it this time around. It seems more of a young adult book than an adult book due to the writing style, but the story is entertaining. One of my favorite Lackey series to date. Vanyel is a great character. There are some stories where the really good writing takes the book far, and there are some where it's the story that takes it far. This is one of the latters. I still cant place my tongue on exactly what the magic is, but there is magic there. ( )
  Kassilem | May 20, 2013 |
I have to admit, I hesitated on whether to rate it 3 or 4 stars.

The book started rather annoying, but I have to admit, it got much better near the end- particularly if you can overlook the weird placings for emphasizing the words; and every two (whiny) sentences, too. Once you get past that, and are able to read a full sentence fluidly enough, the book's not half bad.

In fact, I enjoyed it! But that doesn't mean I didn't find faults, or things that didn't appeal to my preference on books.

Likes:

* The story is interesting, catching, even, and I feel for the lifebonded-loss from book one and all that... a bit.

* The old characters (well, all secondary characters) are a bit smarter, or at least, a bit more lovable, a bit nicer to deal with.

* The new characters are nice, interesting, and much less whiny than our main character.

* The main character has kinda grown. A little tiny bit.

Dislikes:

* Although the story is interesting, there's 300 pages of whining and 44 pages of real point to it.

* "Am I whining?" he asks, yes dear, since book one, and a little too much, now that you're asking. But then, on book one he was a teen, and that was okay(ish), excusable at least. On this one he barely has an excuse.

* Really? 300 pages to figure out you oughta stop brooding?

* God, I hated hated hated the "I am so gay, really, I'm gay, but oh maybe I like this woman, and oh I'm such a stud that I have 1934820357284750341 sons, and oh, what a stud I am, everyone wants in my pants! But I'm angsty and sad and won't let anyone close. Oh wait, no, I don't like women, I really am gay after all. But I can still bang girls to give my friends who can't little offsprings."
Huh-huh. Yeah, right.

But yes, I will go read the next one! :P ( )
  AshuritaLove | Apr 7, 2013 |
The Vanyel "Last Herald-Mage" books are one of my comfort reads, and I probably re-read them every year or so. They are angsty and over-dramatic, but still incredibly appealing. The second is my favorite of the three. ( )
  lquilter | Apr 7, 2011 |

Mercedes Lackeyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lee, Jody A.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to: Elizabeth (Betsy) Wollheim. Who said - "Go for it"
The blue leather saddlebags and a canvas pack, all bulging with filthy clothing and miscellaneous gear, landed in a corner of Vanyel's room with three dull thuds.
Surrounded as it was by newer, smaller outbuildings of whitewashed stucco, it [Forst Reach] resembled a vast and rather ill-natured gray granite hen squatting among a flock of paler chicks.
Baby Heralds wrecking rooms, adult Heralds making magic Gates and then falling through them half-dead, a possible war on the Border, and still somehow the beds get made. What a world.-- p. 187

THE WILD MAGIC is taking it's toll on the land. Many Heralds and Herald-Mages have died fighting to preserve the peace. Even Vanyel, the most powerful of the Herald-Mages is almost at the end of his strength, in need of a respite from the dual threats of war and dark magic.

But for Vanyel, there can be no rest. Not when his Companion, Yfandes, receives a summons which can't be ignored - a desperate cry for help which draws them both into the heart of a magical holocaust in the neighbouring kingdom. Almost overwhelmed by the devastation they discover there, Herald-Mage and Companion must try to unravel this tragic mystery. Is the young Prince Tashir, a newly Chosen Herald who can't control his own magic, responsible for the destruction? Or is Tashir a pawn in a deeper, more deadly game - and, if so, will Vanyel be able to find and defeat the true destroyer before this master of dark powers can strike again?

With King Randale stricken by a mysterious illness and the powerful Herald-Mage Vanyel at the end of his strength, a neighboring kingdom is threatened by a magical holocaust. The wild magic is taking its toll on the land, and even Vanyel, the most powerful Herald-Mage to ever walk the world, is almost at the end of his strength. But when his Companion, Yfandes, receives a call for help from neighboring Lineas, both Herald-Mage and Companion are drawn into a holocaust of dark magic that could be the end of them both.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,287,293 books! | Top bar: Always visible