Night of the Living Dummy by R. L. Stine

Night of the Living Dummy

by R. L. Stine

Kris and Lindy Powell are twin sisters. They share not only their birthday, but also their room, their clothes--just about everything. It's a blessing and a curse--they're very close, but they can really irritate each other, too.

One day, when looking around next door, where a house is being build, Lindy finds a ventriloquist's dummy among the garbage, and names it Slappy. As she practices and gets skilled with the dummy, Kris becomes jealous, wanting her own dummy. Their father finds one at a pawn show, very cheap--the owner of the shop seemed to be glad to be rid of it. Kris names her dummy Mr. Wood, and sets to practicing.

However, strange things start to happen with the dummies. They seem to be moving around when no one is looking, fighting with each other. When Lindy tries to demonstrate to Kris how to move Mr. Wood, the dummy says cruel things, and Lindy claims that she isn't doing it--that the dummy is speaking for himself. Is it all just a practical joke? Or could Mr. Wood be... alive?

The seventh book in R. L. Stine's Goosebumps series, Night of the Living Dummy explores the classic 'evil dummy' story. It's undoubtedly one of the most famous Goosebumps books, though, for my money, the best ventriloquist and evil dummy are Batman's Arnold Wesker and Scarface.

(Spoilers removed. The full review, including spoilers, is available here.)

Night of the Living Dummy isn't bad, but it's got poor characterization, even for a Goosebumps book. The story's okay, though, and as usual it's a quick read. It's probably worth reading once, or rereading for the sake of nostalgia. It's available for the Kindle as Classic Goosebumps #1, so those who want Goosebumps ebooks can pick it up that way, or else get one of the abundant used copies--the world is fairly drowning in used Goosebumps books. ( )
  Sopoforic | Feb 6, 2014 |
A bright start followed by a poor middle and third act is how I'd describe this book. The two kids here are twins, and I don't get the significance of that decision to make them twin sisters. I liked the prods and nudges towards how Lindy is funny (although her ventriloquist act is off screen), and of course poor Kris is unfunny(her jokes are predictably shown). I also noticed how the mother is herself not funny, meaning that Kris takes after her. I felt that the mother was not funny because she always greets her children in the morning with the same words. The father got to make only one joke. I picked on that. Maybe Lindy inherited her humor from the dad. I thought R.L Stine put those details deliberately. Those were the only highlights of this book. ( )
  Jiraiya | Jun 22, 2013 |
Reading this book as a kid, I was actually pretty scared by this one. One of the best in the series. ( )
  DianaLynn5287 | Jun 21, 2013 |
this book is really cool i would recomand this book to anyone atcally cause its really cool and super easy to read ( )
  caleb.v | Apr 14, 2013 |
Goosebumps. This is the series that kept me reading through my childhood. More than any other series, Goosebumps kept me interested in reading, and R.L. Stein is a wonderful children's writer. I applaud his efforts, and can't express enough my gratitude for the series. ( )
  wodenthewanderer | Apr 2, 2013 |

AR 3.7, 3 Pts

The author of Welcome to the Dead House and Stay Out of the Basement thrills readers with the story of a ventriloquist's dummy with a mind of its own.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:02 -0400)

Lindy finds a ventriloquist's dummy and has fun learning to make him move and talk. Kris is jealous, and decides to get a dummy of her own. Then nasty evil things begin to happen. No way can a dummy be causing all the trouble. Or is there?

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,116,599 books! | Top bar: Always visible