Philosophy in the Boudoir: Or, The Immortal…

Philosophy in the Boudoir: Or, The Immortal Mentors (1795)

by Marquis de Sade

English (5)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (7)
This is the worse book ever. I had no idea what it was about, and imagine my surprise and horror! What the hell was Sade's problem? An Oedipus complex or what?! This book sucks so much I want to puke! Get a grip! it's the story of how three grown-ups rape an innocent girl in every possible way yuck!!! ( )
  pathogenik | Mar 2, 2014 |
Worst book ever. Seriously, do not read this. It simply has no redeeming value in it at all. It suceeds at being the most offensive piece of crap ever written, ( )
  MsNikki | Feb 23, 2012 |
As a writer, I thoroughly enjoy the works of the Marquis de Sade, but as a philosopher, I have my reservations (and well-founded they are too!). This book was crude in a way that offends the sensibilities, disgusting in a way that destroys all things pure and good about carnal pleasure, and yet it still manages to be a book ahead of its time. There are questions as to whether the opinions held in this book are Sade's own, and as it was written as a satire, I found it within myself to be able to read the entire book, even when everything I believed in was ridiculed, even when I was embarassed to read any further, even when I thought a more deranged and inhuman piece of literature had never been written. There are valuable ideas in here, I will say that. But there are also ideas that I could see, if they were ever to be put into practice, leading into complete anarchy and murder and completely unrestrained cruelty. Nevertheless, I respect the Marquis de Sade for his ability to shock and his libertinage, though I don't agree with most of it. And it was entertaining to see people's faces when they saw the illustrations on the cover and back of the book. However, I don't know if I'd recommend it, simply because I don't know what kind of light that would cast on me if I were to do so. It is philosophy "out of the box," to say the least... ( )
2 vote stixnstones004 | Jan 24, 2009 |
Néha már mókás, hogy mekkora képtelenséget ir, és az is, hogy az ilyenektől lett az, aki. ( )
  krlany | Jan 21, 2009 |
I found this book to be a bit much. Portnoy's Complaint dealt with sexuality much more effectively than Philosophy In the Boudoir and I do realize that there is more to this book than plain sexuality and the plight of the libertine was very much engaged in freedom of sex I just found it to be too much. ( )
  danielniccum | Apr 11, 2008 |

This most joyous of de Sade's works follows three aristocrats as they indoctrinate Eugénie de Mistival in "the principles of the most outrageous libertinism."

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:05:28 -0400)

Legacy Library: Marquis de Sade

Marquis de Sade has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Marquis de Sade's legacy profile.

See Marquis de Sade's author page.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,150,450 books! | Top bar: Always visible