Philosophy in the Boudoir: Or, The Immortal…

Philosophy in the Boudoir: Or, The Immortal Mentors (1795)

by Marquis de Sade

English (6)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (8)
Set in a bedroom, the two lead characters make the argument that the only moral system that reinforces the recent political revolution is libertinism, and that if the people of France fail to adopt the libertine philosophy, France will be destined to return to a monarchic state. In the chapter titled 'Fifth Dialogue', there is a lengthy section where the character Chevalier reads a philosophical pamphlet titled 'Frenchmen, Some More Effort If You Wish To Become Republicans'. The pamphlet clearly represents Sade's philosophy on religion and morality, a philosophy he passionately hopes the citizens of France will embrace and codify into the laws of their new republican government. Continually throughout the work, Sade makes the argument that one must embrace atheism, reject society's beliefs about pleasure and pain, and further makes his argument that if any crime is committed while seeking pleasure than it cannot be condemned. WIKI.org ( )
  leforestiere | Oct 28, 2014 |
This is the worse book ever. I had no idea what it was about, and imagine my surprise and horror! What the hell was Sade's problem? An Oedipus complex or what?! This book sucks so much I want to puke! Get a grip! it's the story of how three grown-ups rape an innocent girl in every possible way yuck!!! ( )
  pathogenik | Mar 2, 2014 |
Worst book ever. Seriously, do not read this. It simply has no redeeming value in it at all. It suceeds at being the most offensive piece of crap ever written, ( )
  MsNikki | Feb 23, 2012 |
As a writer, I thoroughly enjoy the works of the Marquis de Sade, but as a philosopher, I have my reservations (and well-founded they are too!). This book was crude in a way that offends the sensibilities, disgusting in a way that destroys all things pure and good about carnal pleasure, and yet it still manages to be a book ahead of its time. There are questions as to whether the opinions held in this book are Sade's own, and as it was written as a satire, I found it within myself to be able to read the entire book, even when everything I believed in was ridiculed, even when I was embarassed to read any further, even when I thought a more deranged and inhuman piece of literature had never been written. There are valuable ideas in here, I will say that. But there are also ideas that I could see, if they were ever to be put into practice, leading into complete anarchy and murder and completely unrestrained cruelty. Nevertheless, I respect the Marquis de Sade for his ability to shock and his libertinage, though I don't agree with most of it. And it was entertaining to see people's faces when they saw the illustrations on the cover and back of the book. However, I don't know if I'd recommend it, simply because I don't know what kind of light that would cast on me if I were to do so. It is philosophy "out of the box," to say the least... ( )
2 vote stixnstones004 | Jan 24, 2009 |
Néha már mókás, hogy mekkora képtelenséget ir, és az is, hogy az ilyenektől lett az, aki. ( )
  krlany | Jan 21, 2009 |

This most joyous of de Sade's works follows three aristocrats as they indoctrinate Eugénie de Mistival in "the principles of the most outrageous libertinism."

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:05:28 -0400)

Philosophy in the Bedroom contains all resources, characters and narrative situations Marques de Sade, with erotic lessons they teach about preceptors immoral, is the philosopher who reviews the situation of society and naked truth values??-glorified publicly, privately mocked, the clergy and the aristocracy.… (more)

Legacy Library: Marquis de Sade

Marquis de Sade has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Marquis de Sade's legacy profile.

See Marquis de Sade's author page.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,359,314 books! | Top bar: Always visible