Night Train to Rigel by Timothy Zahn

Night Train to Rigel

by Timothy Zahn

Recently added byDavenportLibraryWA, kicks1369, sladdusaw, MaeveKane, private library, LindaT-S, Fahim, a_hearne, Lexxi

I just re-read this book in preparation for reading the final book in the series. I have a very hard time writing a book review on a re-read as I think having had the anticipation removed hinders (at least to some degree) the enjoyment of a novel. And, based on my set criteria, I rarely cannot put a book down when I know how it ends. That being said, I originally read this book when it first came out and enjoyed it enough to read each succeeding book. The final book in the series came out late enough that I wanted to remember the entire series more vividly before I finished it. (Is that enough qualifiers?)

I really like Timothy Zahn, though I refuse to read the Star Wars books. I really liked this book. And, I still liked it - even on re-read. I remember the first *gotcha* upon reading the very first clue. I totally forgot the 2nd gotcha - which is, I assume, where the next book goes. I have read it as well, but I do not remember it. (A short memory is a blessing when reading books . . . makes re-reads more interesting!) I am reading this series in a buddy read into which I dragged others along for the ride, so I am not continuing until March.

And let it be said . . the first book was published in 2006 - not so very long ago - and LOOK! 6 years later (and 5 books) the series is complete. It CAN be done. ( )
  SnowNSew | Oct 2, 2013 |
I liked this book. A sci-fi thriller/detective novel. It was a little too smooth; the protagonist just happened to connect all the dots at the right moments. The ending also sped up a little too much and stretched a little. But overall good. ( )
  aarondesk | Jul 31, 2013 |
Interesting world. Lots of action. ( )
  gregandlarry | Aug 24, 2012 |
Interesting blend of noir and sic fi. This book begins a series by prolific author Timothy Zahn and features a futuristic private eye and his adventures on the "train" that transportsl people at faster than light speeds. A light read, but good enough to continue reading the series. ( )
  barlow304 | Nov 24, 2011 |
The beginning of a nice little SF mystery series, Night Train to Rigel starts us off with a stranger dying right into ex-spy Frank Compton's arms. Pretty soon he's off on an interstellar adventure searching for a force capable -- and apparently set on -- destroying the Quadrail, an FTL train system operated by "Spiders". But who really controls the spiders? And who's that chick that keeps following him? I enjoyed this a lot. Zahn is good at inventing aliens with their own tics and languages and he follows mystery conventions faithfully too. Like any series it starts to drag a bit later on, but this first book in the series does a great job setting it all in motion. ( )
  cabri | Jan 2, 2010 |
For Pastor Rick House -- who has helped keep me on the rails.
He was leaning against the side of an autocab by the curb as I walked through the door and atmosphere curtain of the New Pallas Towers into the chilly Manhattan night air.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0765346443, Mass Market Paperback)

HUMANITY'S LAST HOPE

It begins when a man delivers a message for former government agent Frank Compton--only to fall dead at his feet. The message is a summons from the Spiders, the exotic and mysterious creatures who run the Quadrail, an incredible transportation system connecting civilizations across the galaxy. The Spiders believe that someone or something is preparing to attack their entire network and the worlds it serves, by smuggling battleships through the Quadrail--something that should be impossible to do. Compton, with the aid of a beautiful but enigmatic agent of the Spiders, is their last hope.

Because nobody else has been able to find the elusive enemy who seeks to enslave the entire galaxy…and Earth is its next target.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:43 -0400)

It begins when a man comes to deliver a message to former government agent Frank Compton - then falls dead at his feet. The message is a summons from the Spiders - enigmatic aliens that are part organic and part machine - who run the Quadrail, a remarkable transportation system that connects civilizations throughout the galaxy. Their message: Someone is preparing to attack the entire network and the worlds it serves with battleships smuggled through the Quadrail - something that should be impossible to do. They need Compton, with his sharp skills of observation and military training, to find the elusive enemy whose nature is a complete mystery.As he gets closer to unraveling the unknown, Compton gets the growing feeling that he is in danger from all directions - from those preventing him from uncovering the far-flung conspiracy, from enemies suddenly appearing out of his past, and from the addictive, powerful force behind the scheme to destroy every civilization in the galaxy.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,282,002 books! | Top bar: Always visible