No title (2008)

Title:
Authors:
Info:
Collections:

Cosmic by Frank Cottrell Boyce (2008)

I loved this book! The tone is lighthearted and humorous and Liam is quite charming. Any kid who has ever dreamed of being an astronaut will get a kick out of Liam and Florida's adventure. (Yes, Florida. But this is one instance where interestingly named characters actually add to the quirkiness and warmth of the story instead of being different simply to be different.)

Reading the description and even the first bit of the novel it's easy to view this is a silly tale about something that could never really happen. And that may be true, but there is much more to this story than meets the eye. Yes, Liam tries to be a typical kid but is often mistaken for an adult. As a result he finds himself in sticky situations. Often, however, his dad manages to step in, usually in the nick of time. The relationships within this novel are what make it great. Liam and his father. Florida and Liam. Liam and the children he chaperones. There is something to be gained, by both parties, that ends in heart-warming revelations and understanding.

I highly recommend this novel. ( )
  jennk | Mar 11, 2016 |
Narrated by Kirby Heyborne (and recommended to me by Kirby Heyborne!). I seem to be on a father/son lit run lately. Liam finds himself winning an amazing (if highly incredible) opportunity to travel in space but because he is so tall, everyone thinks he is an adult. He ends up pretending to be father to his friend Florida, who also goes along on the trip during which Liam gets a sense of what it means to be a dad. Heyborne affects a British accent and gentle touch just right for this story about parental love. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
So have you ever felt like a book was trying too hard? That's how I felt about this book, like it was just trying waaay too hard. It was too over the top, required me to suspend belief too much and too often and it tried too hard to be funny. I felt like if some of it had been toned down, I might have lived with it but there were just too many too's.

Liam is a 12 year old boy that already looks like an adult, in fact he looks old enough to be mistaken for a father. He and his friend Florida, frequently run around pretending to be father and daughter. They don't get into too much trouble with it until Liam wins a contest, that results in him, Florida and three other kids going to the moon. Liam's examination of what a dad is and the analysis of his and the other kids actions was actually really interesting, but so much of this was just so over the top that it was disappointing. I felt like more could have been done with less. ( )

Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |
The hero of Boyce’s enchanting third novel has grown a bit over the summer. “Seven inches is not a spurt,” his father says. “Seven inches is a mutation.” Having facial hair and the height of an adult is a nuisance for 12-year-old Liam, until he realizes he can pass for a grownup. The charade escalates into danger when Liam passes himself off as his own father and wins a trip to a new theme park in China with his friend Florida, where they will be the first to experience an out-of-this-world new thrill ride. “The Rocket” turns out to be a real rocket, and the novel opens with Liam and four other kids literally lost in space. What follows is a hilarious and heartfelt examination of “dadliness” in all its forms, including idiotic competitiveness and sports chatter, but also genuine care and concern. Luckily for the errant space cadets, Liam possesses skills honed playing World of Warcraft online—yes, here is a novel, finally, that confirms that playing computer games can be good for you. A can’t-miss offering from an author whose latest novel may be his best yet. Ages 8–12.
added by 2wonderY | editPublishers Weekly

Frank Cottrell Boyceprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Heyborne, KirbyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my parents-
a book about the magic of parents
Mom, Dad-if you're listening-you know I said I was going to the South Lakeland Outdoor Activity Center with the school?

12-year old Liam looks like he's thirty. Sometimes it's not bad; for example on the first day of school the principal mistakes Liam for a teacher or when he convinces a car dealer to let him test drive a Porsche. So feeling like he's stuck between two worlds, Liam cons his way into being the adult chaperone on the first space ship to take civilians into space. But when the ship is stuck 230,000 miles from home, being mistaken for an adult is not good.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,162,697 books! | Top bar: Always visible