Distant Shores by Kristin Hannah

Distant Shores (original 1996; edition 2003)

by Kristin Hannah

Member:woodbear
Title:Distant Shores
Authors:Kristin Hannah
Info:Bantam (2003), Paperback, 480 pages
Rating:***
Tags:General fiction

Distant Shores by Kristin Hannah (1996)

English (16)  French (1)  All languages (17)
Kinda heartbreaking at the beginning... I'll admit I didn't like Jack very much at the start. I think I remember reading this several years ago, but now that my kids are both older (one in HS, one on her own), this is much more relevant. Feel stuck in a rut? YOU have the power to change things. Reach for joy again, reach for the things that make life worth living. ( )
  Cfo6 | Mar 19, 2018 |
DESCRIPTION, NOT REVIEW: Elizabeth and Jackson Shore married young, raised two daughters, and weathered the storms of youth as they built a family. From a distance, their lives look picture perfect. But after the girls leave home, Jack and Elizabeth quietly drift apart. When Jack accepts a wonderful new job, Elizabeth puts her own needs aside to follow him across the country. Then tragedy turns Elizabeth’s world upside down. In the aftermath, she questions everything about her life—her choices, her marriage, even her long-forgotten dreams. In a daring move that shocks her husband, friends, and daughters, she lets go of the woman she has become—and reaches out for the woman she wants to be. ( )
  treehousereader | Apr 4, 2017 |
This is an easy read for those who like such, maybe for airplanes or lazy summer days. You don't have to think much about the story. I found it extremely repetitious and wordy. The book could have been written in half the pages. It's a story of a lovely and talented wife, her highly successful husband who hasn't had a high profile job he wants in some time, their two girls in college. It's a family story detailing how unhappy this privileged couple are. (tired subject, in my book) I didn't like how each character's clothing was described in detail, changing in various scenes and day, down to the name brands of the clothing. So contrived. It didn't matter to the story and was a detraction to me. The story plodded at times because the very same things were repeated so many times. The characterizations of the girls seemed good to me, in that they were very different personalities and that so often happens in real life. The husband was a selfish clod, interested in only his own fame and fortune.

There isn't much else to say. This is just not my type of book. It's too shallow. It was on my bookshelf and I'm trying to read and pare down some of my library, so this book goes. ( )
  Rascalstar | Jan 21, 2017 |
3 1/2 stars.

There were two things that kept me from giving this book four stars. First, the opening seemed to drag on and likewise I think that the length of the book itself could have been condensed.

With that said, I think that this book successfully hit many of the notes that are true for middle aged women, especially ones who have allowed the relationships in their lives to overtake any goals they have once had. I think Hannah wrote this character very truly. ( )
  SaschaD | Apr 28, 2016 |
With "Distant Shores," Kristin Hannah jumps into the life of a long-term marriage. Having been married forever, with two kids, I can relate to the struggles Birdie and Jack encounter as they face their need to grow individually but stay together. Told in Hannah's characteristic tone and voice, the book is ultimately a message of hope and belief in love, and I was happy and satisfied when I turned the last page. ( )
  LeahDee | Jan 24, 2016 |

This book visits people in different stages of life; their challenges, hardships, overcoming techniques but in a story form that draws in the listener and teaches indirectly.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345450728, Mass Market Paperback)

In her remarkable New York Times bestseller, Summer Island, Kristin Hannah struck a chord in readers and critics alike with her portrayal of the bittersweet reunion between an errant mother and her unforgiving daughter. Now Hannah once again reveals the fragile ties that bind a family in transition, as two people choose to escape the limits of their ordinary lives and reach for the extraordinary promise that lies on Distant Shores.

Elizabeth and Jackson Shore married young, raised two daughters, and weathered the storms of youth as they built a future together. But after the children leave home, they quietly drift apart. When Jack accepts a wonderful new job offer, Elizabeth puts her needs aside to follow him across the country. Until the sudden death of her father changes everything.

Grieving and alone, she retreats to an isolated beach house where she packs away the last remnants of her parents’ lives. There, the pieces of a past she never knew unfold to reveal a tender story of lasting devotion, the kind of steadfast commitment that Elizabeth admits is missing from her own marriage. Faced with her own disillusionment, she makes a terrifying decision, risking everything she has for a second chance at happiness.

Enriched by soul-stirring emotion and an appreciation for the simple joy of everyday miracles, Distant Shores is an exquisite reminder of the most precious gifts in life: friends and family, children and lovers, the strength to change, and the courage to forgive–all flawlessly captured by the graceful hands of Kristin Hannah.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:27 -0400)

Elizabeth and Jackson Shore married young, raised two daughters, and weathered the storms of youth as they built a family. From a distance, their lives look perfect. But after the girls leave home, Jack and Elizabeth quietly drift apart.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,352,497 books! | Top bar: Always visible