Ink and Steel by Elizabeth Bear

Ink and Steel

by Elizabeth Bear

Series: The Promethean Age (3), The Stratford Man (Volume I)

Amazon preorder
  romsfuulynn | Apr 28, 2013 |
Eh. I wanted to love this, but eh. It's a little overly stylized for my taste and took a while to get going; the last hundred pages are excellent. ( )
  cricketbats | Apr 1, 2013 |
It isn't that Blood and Iron and Whiskey and Water make more sense after reading Ink & Steel, because they didn't not make sense the first time; it's more that bits of them make a different kind of sense, knowing what you learn here about who some of these people are and where they might be coming from. Things echo. Oh, and now I'm going to have to spend the month waiting forHell and Earth reading the Complete Marlowe. And Shakespeare's sonnets, again. And probably As You Like It... ( )
  jen.e.moore | Mar 30, 2013 |
Ink and Steel was one of the rare books where I realized halfway through that I was not at all sure what the plot was or if there was one and I didn't care. Kit Marley is a delightful character, witty and broken in interesting ways, and while Will Shakespeare himself is a bit flatter, the situations the two find themselves in - together and in parallel - carry the book admirably.

It is a bit of a slow burn, plotwise, and does not come to anything like a resolution - it is the first half of a single book, in my opinion. By the end of it, there are many dominoes standing and they are laid out in patterns that imply all sorts of fascinating things, but they haven't fallen yet. Don't pick this one up without also laying hands on Hell and Earth, is what I'm saying. ( )
  JeremyPreacher | Mar 30, 2013 |

Elizabeth Bearprimary authorall editionscalculated
Youll, PaulCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
And since we all have suck'd one wholesome air

And with the same proportion of Elements

Resolve, I hope we are resembled,

Vowing our loves to equal death and life.

--Christopher Marlowe,

Tamburlaine the Great, Part I, Act II, scene vi
Christofer Marley died as he was born: on the bank of a river, within the sound and stench of slaughterhouses. The news reached London before the red sun ebbed, while alleys fell into straitened darkness under rooftops still stained bright.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451462092, Paperback)

On the heels of Hell and Earth

Kit Marley, playwright and spy in the service of Queen Elizabeth, has been murdered. His true gift to Her Majesty was his way with words, crafting plays infused with a subtle magic that maintained her rule. He performed this task on behalf of the Prometheus Club, a secret society of nobles engaged in battle against sorcerers determined to destroy England. Assuming Marley’s role is William Shakespeare— but he is unable to create the magic needed to hold the Queen’s enemies at bay.

Resurrected by enchantment in Faerie, Marley is England’s only hope. But before he can assist Will in the art of magic, he must uncover the traitor among the Prometheans responsible for his death…

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:45 -0400)

Kit Marley, playwright and spy in the service of Queen Elizabeth, has been murdered. His true gift to Her Majesty was his way with words, crafting plays infused with a subtle magic that maintained her rule. He performed this task on behalf of the Prometheus Club, a secret society of nobles engaged in battle against sorcerers determined to destroy England. Assuming Marley's role is William Shakespeare--but he is unable to create the magic needed to hold the Queen's enemies at bay. Resurrected by enchantment in Faerie, Marley is England's only hope. But before he can assist Will in the art of magic, he must uncover the traitor among the Prometheans responsible for his death.--From publisher description.

Elizabeth Bear is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,318,571 books! | Top bar: Always visible