Season of migration to the North by Tayeb…

Season of migration to the North (1966)

by Tayeb Salih

Recently added byprivate library, nkearns4951, YESterNOw, jshttnbm, necrodethmortem, USFMAIS, piero

English (28)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (30)
Sudanese novel from the 1960s. Dual narration - the main, a British educated man, respected though rather neutral in character; and the mysterious, didactic seducer of "northern" women, Moustafa Sa'eed. His own words reveal much of his misogynistic adventures, in which he plays the part of the dark, hot- blooded African-Asian in his easy conquests in England. A cast of colorful, mostly senior, characters hash out the evils and intrigues of the colonial past, but our central narrator's curiosity over Sa'eed's shady past and his connection, if any, to a disturbing late-story killing remains the focus. Generally liked the novel, but Sa'eed's scandals only come through anecdotally, and the ending sputters. A rare case in which I think a bit more would've been better. ( )
  JamesMScott | Sep 23, 2015 |
Notes and quotes at: http://biibliophilebeth.blogspot.com/ ( )
  BALE | Sep 12, 2014 |
This novel started out slowly and gradually became mind boggling! The author manages to convey the downside of colonialization and one culture being sdueced by the exotic in anither culture, and then killing off the original beauty of what seduced them in the first place. I was entranced by many of the Arab traditions, emotions, and euphemisms. I was absolutely delighted during the impromptu celebration of travelers and bedouins in the desert. I was appalled at the treatment of women as property. Overall, I was thoroughly engaged emotionally and intellectually. Excellent! ( )
  hemlokgang | Jul 12, 2014 |
If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.

So, all I will say is that if it takes me MONTHS to get through a 169 page book....well, then there's something wrong. ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.

csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |

Tayeb Salihprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Johnson-Davies, DenysTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lailami, LailaIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Leggio, FrancescoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

A beautifully constructed novel set in the Sudan.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:33 -0400)

"When a young man returns to his village in the Sudan after many years studying in Europe, he finds that among the familiar faces there is now a stranger - the enigmatic Mustafa Sa'eed. As the two become friends, Mustafa tells the younger man the disturbing story of his own life in London after the First World War. Lionized by society and desired by women as an exotic novelty, Mustafa was driven to take brutal revenge on the decadent West and was, in turn, destroyed by it. Now the terrible legacy of his actions has come to haunt the small village at the bend of the Nile."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

NYRB Classics

2 editions of this book were published by NYRB Classics.

Editions: 1590173023, 1590173422

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,861,123 books! | Top bar: Always visible