Half Share by Nathan Lowell

Half Share

by Nathan Lowell

Series: Golden Age of the Solar Clipper (2)

read to me by Michael ( )
  chelseaknits | Dec 14, 2017 |
Not quite as good as the first, but it still has that quiet appeal. The huge moments of obvious wish fulfillment for the author are not enough to disturb my appreciation of the story. ( )
  oswallt | Nov 25, 2016 |
More a bildungsroman in space than a space opera, Lowell's Solar Clipper novels brim with charm and wide-eyed innocence even when they deal, delicately, with saltier subjects in the Deep Dark. Brimming with sweet, small character moments, this is a book in which not much else happens, but the reader doesn't care, swept along in Ishmael Wang's career trajectory on an interstellar cargo freighter. Seeds are planted in Half Share for perhaps more drama on the way as true feelings -- and the forces keeping them in check -- are revealed. I look forward to the next installation in print, which the author informs me is coming in April. I do recommend the podcasts as well, narrated in a clear, pleasant, low-key style by the author, but I still loves me my print... ( )
  KateSherrod | Aug 1, 2016 |
There's a strong sense of wish-fulfillment in this tale of a ladykiller spacer, but all in fun. The subplot of the troubled new crewmember does provide a welcome contrast, and it seemed like the discussions about shopping and trade were not as protracted in this installment. I found it a pleasant light entertainment with a couple of surprises along the way. ( )
  rmagahiz | Dec 21, 2013 |
This is the second book in Lowell failed series. If one read my first review you would know that I related to being a fan of the section of Science Fiction this falls into. I have spent many hours reliving as a role-player the persona of a trader in space.

Perhaps that colors my review, but I place this as average, and so many other reviewers actually lean the same way.

Lowell continues to fail trying to impress us that he understands women. Certainly some authors are adept at the craft that they can make a man's voice be enticing to women. I think, should I encounter our hero at the youthful age he is, and were I a woman, I might jump him, if he were a hunk, but I wouldn't talk to him were I a few years older than he.

This character, as he is written, is in his forties, though he is supposed to be not even twenty. It is the style of the author. He has forgotten what it is like to project being that age and so wrote his character as worldly wise. And as pointed out before it is a disservice. Of course being so wise, all his interpersonal relations are better than anyone else could hope to achieve. He is still making money hand over fist, and without consulting his elders, he makes all the right decisions without any mistakes.

Heroes have flaws. Lowell's hero does not. Still hoping Lowell will turn this around. And still hoping we get out of the middle. Books and stories have beginnings, middles and ends. We are still in the middle here. And that is what you are paying for, the middle. We went from the beginning to the middle in the last book and didn't find an end. Here we are still in the middle without having had a beginning and no closer to an end. ( )
  DWWilkin | Dec 4, 2012 |

Nathan Lowellprimary authorall editionscalculated
Sullivan, Michael J.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Book 2 consists of 25 chapters in 14 episodes, available as a free podcast audio book (podiobook) at podiobooks.com.

Nathan Lowell is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,386,255 books! | Top bar: Always visible