Bringing in the New Year by Grace Lin

Bringing in the New Year

by Grace Lin

1991459,063 (3.68)1

I thought Bringing in the New Year was a great book for 3 reasons. First, I liked how there were labeled pictures. On the first and last page of the book there were pictures of traditional items relating to the Chinese New Year. Each item was labeled. For example, there was a picture of a ‘gong’, a ‘decorated cumquat tree’, and a ‘qi pao’. I thought this was very important to help understand the story and the traditions held within it. I also liked that the illustrations helped to show traditions held for the Chinese New Year. For example, one of the pages showed the main character putting on her qi pao dress for the New Year feast. Next, I liked the fact that the writing was simply put yet very informative. For example, one page says, “They brought in the lions. They’re here to scare away last year’s bad luck.” This tells the reader what the lions represent and what they are for, especially when paired with the illustrations. Finally, I like the way the book was organized. One specific feature that I liked was that at the end of the book there was additional information on the Chinese New Year. For example, it talked further about how it is more commonly known as the Lunar New Year because it is based on the lunar calendar and many other countries besides China celebrate it. The main idea of this book was to share with the reader the traditions in China for the Chinese New Year. ( )
  AlainaNawa | Sep 30, 2015 |
Bringing in the New Year is a story about Chinese New Year. Chinese New Year differs from the American New Year in that it is based on the lunar calendar. This story goes into the customs and traditions that are involved in preparing for Chinese New Year. Children need to be aware that different cultures celebrate different traditions unique to them, and this story helps to do so. It depicts a girl sweeping the old year out of the house, hanging the spring-happiness poems, watching firecrackers, and making a traditional dragon. Children need to be informed about different traditions among cultures and I think it is important that they are taught in school. I feel that this book could go into greater detail about the traditions as opposed to just mentioning them. As an activity, students could re create some of the traditions of the Chinese New Year by making lanterns or coming up with a dragon dance. ( )
  EmilyDrennan | Apr 26, 2015 |
The book was about a Chinese family that is getting ready for their New Year party. Ba-ba works hard to put up the decorations and Ma-ma makes the dumplings. Everyone dresses up for the party and when midnight strikes, fire crackers blast in the sky. The adults bring in a lion (someone under lion costume) to scare away the last year's bad luck and even scared little Mei-Mei. The children carry lanterns to guide the New Year. Some people walk around carrying a huge dragon puppet while other's sing and play instruments. Everyone looks happy and seems to be enjoying the New Year.
Personal Reaction:
I bought this book because I want it to be part of my book collection when I have my classroom. It's a great book and it shares details of the Chinese tradition for New Year's. The book has simple words that are in Chinese like Ba-ba (father) that young readers can read. The illustrations are very colorful and show the traditional props that are used in the Chinese culture. I also like this book because it shows all kinds of people not just Asian. The end of the book has a summary about Chinese New Year and how they prepare for it. It talks about traditions, food and the purpose of the lion and the dragon. I hope my students' will enjoy the book and realize that there are many cultures with traditions but can be celebrated by everyone.
Classroom Extension Ideas:
1.Unit plan on culture awareness.
2. Art activities making dragons puppets.
3. Students' can write narrative about their New Year's traditions.
  rmewife | Mar 12, 2015 |
The title for this book explains it all. A wonderful book about the Chinese cultures for the New Year celebration. The text is simple for all ages to understand and the pictures are colorful. This book gives a great example of a Chinese family who live in America but still practice their traditions and customs. ( )
  amccann | Jan 3, 2015 |
I liked the book, Brining in the New Year, by Grace Lin. The big idea in this book is the explanation of the traditional Chinese New Year customs. The author did a good job keeping the words simple for a young reader. I never knew much about the Chinese New Year, but this book was short and sweet and described the many traditions that the Chinese have as they welcome the New Year. I learned that the Chinese sweep out their homes to get rid of the “old year.” They also hang “spring-happiness poems” from their homes. The lanterns are used to light the way for the New Year as the ornamental dragon is awoken to scare away the past year’s “bad luck.” The illustrations were also eye catching. The pictures show a lot of traditional Chinese red colors. The costumes that the people wear for the New Year are full of vibrant spring-like color. The reader can tell, by the looks on the characters’ faces, that this a happy time for the Chinese people and a fun celebration. ( )
  JenniferEckley | Oct 14, 2014 |

This exuberant story follows a Chinese American family as they prepare for the Lunar New Year. Each member of the family lends a hand as they sweep out the dust of the old year, hang decorations, and make dumplings. Then it’s time to put on new clothes and celebrate with family and friends. There will be fireworks and lion dancers, shining lanterns, and a great, long dragon parade to help bring in the Lunar New Year. And the dragon parade in our book is extra long–on a surprise fold-out page at the end of the story. Grace Lin’s artwork is a bright and gloriously patterned celebration in itself! And her story is tailor-made for reading aloud.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:08 -0400)

A Chinese American family prepares for and celebrates the Lunar New Year. End notes discuss the customs and traditions of Chinese New Year.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,752,186 books! | Top bar: Always visible