Bringing in the New Year by Grace Lin

Bringing in the New Year

by Grace Lin

In a brightly colored board book, perfect for the youngest child, Newbery Honoree Grace Lin tells the tale of a Chinese American family as they prepare for the Lunar New Year. Each family member lends a hand as they sweep out the dust of the old year, hang decorations, and make dumplings. Then it's time to celebrate. There will be fireworks and lion dancers, shining lanterns, and a great, long dragon parade at the end!Lin's bold and gloriously patterned artwork makes for an unforgettable holiday tale. Her story is simple and tailor-made for reading aloud to young children, and she includes an informative author's note for parents, teachers and children who want to learn even more.
  wichitafriendsschool | Mar 25, 2016 |
A beautifully illustrated and simple story about preparing for the Chinese New Year. I love the vibrant illustrations and the story about the excitement and anticipation of the holiday. This is a timely read, as we are just starting Chinese New Year celebrations at my school in our host country of China.
Read as part of an author study of Grace Lin.

Curricular connections: would tie in nicely as part of a lesson about holidays and traditions around the world. In my school, I would use with younger readers to help them understand Chinese New Year traditions and to build anticipation for the coming holiday. ( )
  linnea_simon | Feb 6, 2016 |
My personal response to the book: This was a neat little story to share the new year with the little ones.
Curricular connections: The curricular connections included the study of China and the Chinese New Year. A TL could display this book in January to promote the study of the Chinese New Year.
  West_Elementary | Jan 13, 2016 |
I thought Bringing in the New Year was a great book for 3 reasons. First, I liked how there were labeled pictures. On the first and last page of the book there were pictures of traditional items relating to the Chinese New Year. Each item was labeled. For example, there was a picture of a ‘gong’, a ‘decorated cumquat tree’, and a ‘qi pao’. I thought this was very important to help understand the story and the traditions held within it. I also liked that the illustrations helped to show traditions held for the Chinese New Year. For example, one of the pages showed the main character putting on her qi pao dress for the New Year feast. Next, I liked the fact that the writing was simply put yet very informative. For example, one page says, “They brought in the lions. They’re here to scare away last year’s bad luck.” This tells the reader what the lions represent and what they are for, especially when paired with the illustrations. Finally, I like the way the book was organized. One specific feature that I liked was that at the end of the book there was additional information on the Chinese New Year. For example, it talked further about how it is more commonly known as the Lunar New Year because it is based on the lunar calendar and many other countries besides China celebrate it. The main idea of this book was to share with the reader the traditions in China for the Chinese New Year. ( )
  AlainaNawa | Sep 30, 2015 |
Bringing in the New Year is a story about Chinese New Year. Chinese New Year differs from the American New Year in that it is based on the lunar calendar. This story goes into the customs and traditions that are involved in preparing for Chinese New Year. Children need to be aware that different cultures celebrate different traditions unique to them, and this story helps to do so. It depicts a girl sweeping the old year out of the house, hanging the spring-happiness poems, watching firecrackers, and making a traditional dragon. Children need to be informed about different traditions among cultures and I think it is important that they are taught in school. I feel that this book could go into greater detail about the traditions as opposed to just mentioning them. As an activity, students could re create some of the traditions of the Chinese New Year by making lanterns or coming up with a dragon dance. ( )
  EmilyDrennan | Apr 26, 2015 |

This exuberant story follows a Chinese American family as they prepare for the Lunar New Year. Each member of the family lends a hand as they sweep out the dust of the old year, hang decorations, and make dumplings. Then it’s time to put on new clothes and celebrate with family and friends. There will be fireworks and lion dancers, shining lanterns, and a great, long dragon parade to help bring in the Lunar New Year. And the dragon parade in our book is extra long–on a surprise fold-out page at the end of the story. Grace Lin’s artwork is a bright and gloriously patterned celebration in itself! And her story is tailor-made for reading aloud.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:08 -0400)

A Chinese American family prepares for and celebrates the Lunar New Year. End notes discuss the customs and traditions of Chinese New Year.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,788,423 books! | Top bar: Always visible