Bringing in the New Year by Grace Lin

Bringing in the New Year

by Grace Lin

I liked the book, Brining in the New Year, by Grace Lin. The big idea in this book is the explanation of the traditional Chinese New Year customs. The author did a good job keeping the words simple for a young reader. I never knew much about the Chinese New Year, but this book was short and sweet and described the many traditions that the Chinese have as they welcome the New Year. I learned that the Chinese sweep out their homes to get rid of the “old year.” They also hang “spring-happiness poems” from their homes. The lanterns are used to light the way for the New Year as the ornamental dragon is awoken to scare away the past year’s “bad luck.” The illustrations were also eye catching. The pictures show a lot of traditional Chinese red colors. The costumes that the people wear for the New Year are full of vibrant spring-like color. The reader can tell, by the looks on the characters’ faces, that this a happy time for the Chinese people and a fun celebration. ( )
  JenniferEckley | Oct 14, 2014 |
I liked this book a lot for a few reasons. First, because I did not know much about the Chinese New Year, so it was interesting to learn about a different cultures holiday. I also really enjoyed the illustrations because they were very colorful and detailed. The picture of the lion that is used to “scare away last years bad luck” was so colorful that it really stood out to me. I also really enjoyed the plot of the book because throughout it, different ways of celebration were shown. From making dumplings, using firecrackers, lighting lanterns, so many traditions are done that I enjoyed learning about. I think the overall message of this book is just to teach different cultures in a simple way about the Chinese New Year. The book did a great job of showing customs and traditions done during this holiday as well as helpful illustrations in order for readers from a different culture to see how the New Year can be celebrated in another culture. ( )
  jobend2 | Feb 17, 2014 |
I liked this story. I liked that the illustrations go along with the words. The quote “Jie Jie sweeps the old year out of the house” showed Jie Jie literally taking a broom and sweeping out of the house. I also liked the multicultural language in this book because it introduced unique names like Jie Jie, Ba Ba, and Ma Ma. The main idea of this story is that each culture has a different and unique way of bringing in the New Year. ( )
  lpicke2 | Feb 13, 2014 |
This delightful board book introduces a Chinese family and their activities to bring in the new year, culminating in the dragon parade. The text is relatively simple and introduces several key customs of the holiday without being overly didactic but rather letting them flow smoothly into the story of the family preparing for the new year. The book ends with a factual description of the holiday and elucidates some of the family's actions in the story by explaining the meaning behind the customs. Throughout the book, the bright and cheery illustrations are eye-catching and help to expand on the story. The toddlers in my class were especially compelled by the pictures and pointed out details like the snow or asked questions about things they didn't recognize. ( )
  sweetiegherkin | Feb 5, 2014 |
Another book I can use toward my text set! I enjoyed this book for two reasons. First, the illustrations provided the reader with a visual connection inside the lives of Chinese families preparing for their Chinese New Years. Throughout the book the family prepared their hair, foods, clothes and dragon for the festival. Also, the point of view being in third person and explaining what each family members role in preparing for the festival is allows the reader to see that each family member plays a significant role in preparation for the big day and how each member does it their way. The reader can take away that this holiday has unique differences from other new years and also see how families prepare the dragon and specific Chinese cultured foods! ( )
1 vote mallen16 | Nov 10, 2013 |

This exuberant story follows a Chinese American family as they prepare for the Lunar New Year. Each member of the family lends a hand as they sweep out the dust of the old year, hang decorations, and make dumplings. Then it’s time to put on new clothes and celebrate with family and friends. There will be fireworks and lion dancers, shining lanterns, and a great, long dragon parade to help bring in the Lunar New Year. And the dragon parade in our book is extra long–on a surprise fold-out page at the end of the story. Grace Lin’s artwork is a bright and gloriously patterned celebration in itself! And her story is tailor-made for reading aloud.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:30 -0400)

A Chinese American family prepares for and celebrates the Lunar New Year. End notes discuss the customs and traditions of Chinese New Year.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,488,064 books! | Top bar: Always visible