Bringing in the New Year by Grace Lin

Bringing in the New Year

by Grace Lin

I liked this book a lot for a few reasons. First, because I did not know much about the Chinese New Year, so it was interesting to learn about a different cultures holiday. I also really enjoyed the illustrations because they were very colorful and detailed. The picture of the lion that is used to “scare away last years bad luck” was so colorful that it really stood out to me. I also really enjoyed the plot of the book because throughout it, different ways of celebration were shown. From making dumplings, using firecrackers, lighting lanterns, so many traditions are done that I enjoyed learning about. I think the overall message of this book is just to teach different cultures in a simple way about the Chinese New Year. The book did a great job of showing customs and traditions done during this holiday as well as helpful illustrations in order for readers from a different culture to see how the New Year can be celebrated in another culture. ( )
  jobend2 | Feb 17, 2014 |
I liked this story. I liked that the illustrations go along with the words. The quote “Jie Jie sweeps the old year out of the house” showed Jie Jie literally taking a broom and sweeping out of the house. I also liked the multicultural language in this book because it introduced unique names like Jie Jie, Ba Ba, and Ma Ma. The main idea of this story is that each culture has a different and unique way of bringing in the New Year. ( )
  lpicke2 | Feb 13, 2014 |
This delightful board book introduces a Chinese family and their activities to bring in the new year, culminating in the dragon parade. The text is relatively simple and introduces several key customs of the holiday without being overly didactic but rather letting them flow smoothly into the story of the family preparing for the new year. The book ends with a factual description of the holiday and elucidates some of the family's actions in the story by explaining the meaning behind the customs. Throughout the book, the bright and cheery illustrations are eye-catching and help to expand on the story. The toddlers in my class were especially compelled by the pictures and pointed out details like the snow or asked questions about things they didn't recognize. ( )
  sweetiegherkin | Feb 5, 2014 |
Another book I can use toward my text set! I enjoyed this book for two reasons. First, the illustrations provided the reader with a visual connection inside the lives of Chinese families preparing for their Chinese New Years. Throughout the book the family prepared their hair, foods, clothes and dragon for the festival. Also, the point of view being in third person and explaining what each family members role in preparing for the festival is allows the reader to see that each family member plays a significant role in preparation for the big day and how each member does it their way. The reader can take away that this holiday has unique differences from other new years and also see how families prepare the dragon and specific Chinese cultured foods! ( )
1 vote mallen16 | Nov 10, 2013 |
I found this book to be good because it was informative and enjoyable to read. What I liked most though were the illustrations. Each page we were told a little bit about Chinese New Year. Every page was something about how this family would get in a sense get rid of all things from the old year (previous year) and bring in new things to celebrate this year actually being new. For example the family would get hair cuts, new clothes, clean the house to make it clean and appear new. The illustrations were really bright and eye catching. The book mentions that red is considered to be a lucky color in Asian culture so I liked how the author made many of the pages be a solid red or have other colors that are also in Asian culture. I think the author wanted us as readers to be informed of this holiday because especially for younger readers they either may not understand why they are celebrating a holiday not on January 1st or just may be curious what happens on this holiday. ( )
1 vote ewestr1 | Nov 5, 2013 |

This exuberant story follows a Chinese American family as they prepare for the Lunar New Year. Each member of the family lends a hand as they sweep out the dust of the old year, hang decorations, and make dumplings. Then it’s time to put on new clothes and celebrate with family and friends. There will be fireworks and lion dancers, shining lanterns, and a great, long dragon parade to help bring in the Lunar New Year. And the dragon parade in our book is extra long–on a surprise fold-out page at the end of the story. Grace Lin’s artwork is a bright and gloriously patterned celebration in itself! And her story is tailor-made for reading aloud.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:30 -0400)

A Chinese American family prepares for and celebrates the Lunar New Year. End notes discuss the customs and traditions of Chinese New Year.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,347,777 books! | Top bar: Always visible