The Front Runner by Patricia Nell Warren

The Front Runner (1974)

by Patricia Nell Warren

English (20)  Portuguese (1)  All (21)
Three stars for historical relevancy and importance. I can see how much this book would have meant reading it when it came out but it didn't hold my attention. I didn't care enough about the characters to care about the sports part. Glad I read it but not sure I'd recommend it unless you were looking to fill in knowledge of past gay lit. Or if you really like track/sports stories. ( )
  AjaxBell | Aug 24, 2017 |
A rather dated novel that opened the eyes of a lot of people in its time... ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
If this was a book that had been published in 2013 I would trash it no-regrets. It's made up almost entirely of cliches and common places. The older man - young skinny athlete fantasy might have helped it sell well before but now it's just boring. Also it's king of outdated, things like "I thought Rock music was against American values" just didn't help me get into it. That and the fact that I felt the story was really predictable. However, this book was published in 1974 and was a pioneer gay themed novel, and it deserves praise for that. I just didn't enjoyed it almost at all, and had lot's of trouble finishing it, even thou I'm both gay and a runner. ( )
  josescott | Sep 20, 2014 |
3.5 stars. ( )
  Penny01 | Feb 1, 2014 |
3.5 stars. ( )
  Penny01 | Feb 1, 2014 |
added by gsc55 | editGGR-Review.com, Warren (Nov 4, 2014)

added by gsc55 | editBoy meets Boy, Lorix (May 13, 2014)

First published in 1974, The Front Runner raced to international acclaim - the first novel about gay love to become popular with mainstream.

In 1975, coach Harlan Brown is hiding from his past at an obscure New York college, after he was fired from Penn State University on suspicion of being gay. A tough, lonely ex-Marine of 39, Harlan has never allowed himself to love another man.

Then Billy Sive, a brilliant young runner, shows up on his doorstep. He and his two comrades, Vince Matti and Jacques LaFont, were just thrown off a major team for admitting they are gay. Harlan knows that, with proper training, Billy could go to the '76 Olympics in Montreal. He agrees to coach the three boys under strict conditions that thwart Billy's growing attraction for his mature but compelling mentor. The lean, graceful frontrunner with gold-rim glasses sees directly into Harlan's heart. Billy's gentle and open acceptance of his sexuality makes Harlan afraid to confront either the pain of his past, or the challenges which lay in wait if their intimacy is exposed.

But when Coach Brown finds himself falling in love with his most gifted athlete, he must combat his true feelings for Billy or risk the outrage of the entire sports world - and their only chance at Olympic gold.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:08 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,652,821 books! | Top bar: Always visible