The Girl of His Dreams (A Commissario…

The Girl of His Dreams (A Commissario Brunetti Mystery) (original 2009; edition 2008)

by Donna Leon, David Colacci (Narrator)

Member:bobleino
Title:The Girl of His Dreams (A Commissario Brunetti Mystery)
Authors:Donna Leon
Other authors:David Colacci (Narrator)
Info:BBC Audiobooks America (2008), Edition: Unabridged, Audio CD
Collections:Audio CD, Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2

The Girl of His Dreams by Donna Leon (2009)

Recently added byprivate library, angielcm, masquenada, MaggieFlo, shazjhb, gregoryolney, seth_g, link_rae, MikeRhode, cbl_tn

English (29)  Spanish (3)  Finnish (2)  Dutch (2)  German (2)  Catalan (1)  All languages (39)
A new series of detective stories and many of them are audio
  shazjhb | Nov 23, 2014 |
As this series goes along I've come to the conclusion that it's not the mysteries that draw me but the writing and the characters. Guido Brunetti with so much authority as the Commissario of Homicide is still sensitive and willing to be patient in trying to solve the murder. He wrests from each of the other characters exactly what he expects and somehow gets more.

In this story, Guido is at the scene as a young girl's body is retrieved from the canal and he works diligently to find out why she was there and why she died. When it is discovered that she is a gypsy he must contact her band of relatives and somehow get them to trust him enough to solve the mystery.

Yes, the mystery wasn't that involved, but the characters are so well crafted. Ms Leon is not afraid to show the corruption of the government. ( )
  cyderry | May 19, 2014 |
13,90€ at CDG, October 2009

My husband and I discovered our first Donna Leon book when we were in Venice on holiday and we eagerly grab every new one we see. I love the descriptions of Venice and the food. Every book makes me wish I could join Brunnetti and Paola at their table for a meal. ( )
  Susanna.Dilliott | Apr 23, 2014 |
Brunetti is unofficially researching a religious group suspected of underhanded means of fundraising for a friend of his. His official investigation is into the death of a Romany/Gypsy girl who was drowned in a canal. The autopsy revealed she had a venereal disease at her young age. Brunetti is determined to get to the bottom of it. This is not the best in the series, but it does present a somewhat realistic, but disappointing resolution. ( )
  thornton37814 | Feb 23, 2014 |
This is the first Commissario Brunetti Mystery I've read. I liked it a lot. Very real. Good characters. More depth to the characters than many mysteries. A full story not just a who done it. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
Der Tod macht mich nicht beben.
Nur meine Mutter dauert mich;
Sie stirbt vor Gram ganz sicherlich.

Death does not make me tremble.
I feel sorry only for my mother.
She will surely die of grief.

Die Zauberflöte
Mozart
For Leonhard Toenz
Brunetti found that counting silently to four and then again and again allowed him to block out most other thoughts.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0143115618, Paperback)

Amazon Best of the Month, May 2008: Reading The Girl of His Dreams leaves you no choice but to reconsider what makes a mystery novel so good. Certainly there's no denying the appeal of a hard-boiled crime story, where more often than not a brilliant yet battered P.I. drives you white-knuckled to the edge of your seat, but Donna Leon's Guido Brunetti--at once exactingly inquisitive and disarmingly sensitive--bucks that genre convention entirely. Here, in Leon's seventeenth Brunetti mystery, is a man who investigates the tragic drowning of a young Gypsy girl relentlessly, yet--in his thoughtful meanderings through the streets and cafes of Venice--also struggles to understand the human warps and weaknesses that make his beloved city so vulnerable. In the end, it's this pure love and curiosity for life (and, I admit, his lusty appreciation of daily luxuries like prosecco, good coffee, or a burst of sunshine) that make Brunetti such a seductive hero--so much so that you're willing to follow him wherever he goes. --Anne Bartholomew

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:25 -0400)

One cold and rainy morning, the body of a gypsy is found floating in a canal. Brunetti suspects she fell off a nearby roof while fleeing an apartment she had robbed--but something about the case continues to haunt him.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,390,309 books! | Top bar: Always visible