Madonna by Madonna

Madonna

by Madonna

711,138,814 (4)None
33 and 1/3 album (1) 80s (1) album (2) CD (2) dance (3) lp (1) mp3 (1) music (3) pop (4) rock (2) rock music (1)

Product Details

* Audio CD (May 22, 2001)
* Number of Discs: 1
* Format: Original recording reissued, Original recording remastered
* Label: Warner Bros / Wea
* Catalog Number: 47903
* ASIN: B00005J6T1
* Average Customer Review: based on 88 reviews. (Write a review.)
* Amazon.com Sales Rank: #3,751 in Music (See Top Sellers in Music)
Yesterday: #7,210 in Music

Listen to Samples
To hear a song sample, click on the "Listen ." Visit our audio help page for more information.

1. Lucky Star Listen Listen
8. Everybody Listen Listen
9. Burning Up (12in Version) Listen Listen
10. Lucky Star (New Mix) Listen Listen

Spotlight Reviews
Write an online review and share your thoughts with other customers.
Search Customer Reviews

13 of 14 people found the following review helpful:
The Album That Made Madonna A Star, June 10, 2001
Reviewer: Luis Hernandez (New York, New York, USA) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME) (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
In an excellent move, the folks at Warner Music have decided to re-release Madonna's self-titled debut album in conjunction with the start of her "Drowned World" tour. I had purchased the original release many years ago, but decided to purchase this edition due to the addition of two previously unreleased tracks that were only available on vinyl.

Being that "Burning Up" is one of my favorite Madonna songs of all time, I purchased this album because the 12" remix of the single was available on CD for the first time in over two decades. When I pushed the play button on my compact disc player, I was truly amazed on the quality of the sound. If I only could use to words to describe the sound quality on this album I would choose "crystal clear." Truly, this remastered edition was a great idea and I was so elated to hear all of Madonna's great early hits from "Lucky Star" to "Everybody" again.

In addition to the "Burning Up" 12" remix, this remastered album also features a remix of "Lucky Star" remixed by John "Jellybean" Benitez himself. Both remixes are amazing and the album brought back many memories growing up during the decade of decadence. If you are a true Madonna fan, you will want to add this album to your collection.

Was this review helpful to you? YesNo (Report this)

8 of 8 people found the following review helpful:
"I have no shame", October 22, 2005
Reviewer: Westley (The South) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Madonna debuted with this record in late 1983, initiating the most successful female pop career in history. At the time, disco was dead and dance music was verboten on pop radio. Along with Shannon, Madonna helped bring dance music back into the mainstream. Thus, although "Madonna" sounds like safe pop music now, it was actually pretty cutting edge at the time. "Everybody" was her first single; it became a solid dance hit but didn't cross over to pop radio or the Hot 100. With its unusual shuffling beat, it should have been a hit and still sounds great today.

"Madonna" eventually yielded three pop hits, each one charting higher then the previous - Holiday (#16), Borderline (#10), and Lucky Star (#4). "Borderline" was her first ballad, although relatively up-tempo. Her voice is thinner here than it would be on later ballads, but she still sounds lovely. The video was also a huge hit and introduced people to Madonna's breakthrough style. I became aware of Madonna for the first time through that video and have been a fan ever since. "Lucky Star" sounds a bit dated with too many synthesizers, although it's still a great pop song. Although "Holiday" was the smallest hit, it's perhaps the most enduring of the three: a real party anthem.

Along with these hits, the non-singles are also uniformly solid. "Burning Up" is the closest thing to a rock song that Madonna made during her early years, although the guitars are paired with a terrific dance beat. "Physical Attraction" is another highlight - a dance song that really shows off Madonna's sex appeal and slither. "Think of Me" and "I Know It" are the two least memorable songs on this CD - straight ahead dance tunes without much of Madonna's panache. With just 8 songs, "Madonna" breezes by quickly and sometimes seems a bit insubstantial. However, the CD is an undeniable dance classic that began the Queen of Pop's career. Most highly recommended.
  pantufla | Jan 24, 2006 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,486,198 books! | Top bar: Always visible