White Fang by Jack London

White Fang (1906)

by Jack London

The Call of the Wild by Jack London (Anonymous user, kxlly)
    Anonymous user: Jack London's other famous tale of dogs in the wild.
    A Dog Named Wolf by Erik Munsterhjelm (bookel)
    The Wolfling by Sterling North (bookel)
    The Year of the Hare by Arto Paasilinna (hippietrail)

English (62)  Spanish (3)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (66)
I read this book a few years ago, and have constantly gone back to it because I just enjoyed the story and London's style of writing that much. ( )
  crashmyparty | Dec 9, 2014 |
I opened my ancient copy of this book with the excitement of reading an old friend. I know I originally read it when I was about 12 or 14. I would not recommend it to anyone under 14 now, and definitely not to anyone with the slightest tendency towards cruelty or bullying. On this reading I was alternately horrified by the beatings meted out to White Fang and other animals (and their justification), and discomforted by the discourse Jack London creates about the intentions, understandings and intelligences of the three-parts wolf named White Fang.

This is the story of White Fang and how he came to accept the life of an Indian camp over freedom in the wilds of Alaska and the Yukon. It tells how that life was taken away from him, and how, through trickery of white man to indian, he was turned into a ferocious fighting animal, used as a gambling medium. And it tells how he was rescued from that life and eventually rehabilitated.

I know when I first read this book, life, our culture, was different. Citizen science and social participation were in their infancy, life was full of strict rules of behaviour and it was difficult to imagine anything outside a very humdrum life. The 1960s started the change in all that. So reading Jack London now is a very different experience from reading him in the sixties. My 21st century sensibilities recoil at the ill-treatment of animals, even in the harsh world of the Alaskan tundra forest. I see so many reports of ill-treatment of animals now, that I fear whatever literature exists to support such actions should not be widely mentioned. Bullying appears to be rife, and this book is full of bullying – of animals. So much contemporary Middle Grade literature seems to deal with bullying from the perspective of the bullied standing up and overcoming the effects. What White Fang seems to do is glorify it again. Or, if not glorify it, to place it as a natural order of things, since Jack London writes interminably about the law of gods and men, and how animals must take their place in that natural law. I remember doing a course in Environmental Ethics and thinking of how the approach of man to his environment changes according to the fashion at the time, utilisation, mastery, stewardship, harmony, sustainable development. This is back in the mastery era.

Yes, the book finishes [spoiler alert]with White Fang being freed from cruelty and rehabilitated through kindness and care from liberal-minded but tough travellers. I skipped through the part where he went to California, as I seem to remember I always did in the past. The key events during that time are well-told, and in some ways, White Fang’s rehabilitation is a blueprint for others who seek to retrain ill-treated animals.[/spoiler alert] It ends on a somewhat maudlin note.

It is a superbly written book, but I nearly put it down about two-thirds through. I had forgotten the sheer brutality of it. In some ways I can’t believe I have kept this book with me all this time. I wonder whether I mixed the story up with Call of the Wild. I certainly haven’t read it for years. I doubt whether I ever will again.

I don’t recommend you read this book. If you want a good MG wolf story read Nashoga by Rebecca Weinstein.[b:Nashoga|10893696|Nashoga (Redstone, #1)|Rebecca Weinstein|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1301288016s/10893696.jpg|15809517] ( )
  Jemima_Pett | Nov 11, 2014 |
Pros: this is a lovely, lovely book. It follows the tale of an Alaskan wolf from birth to his meeting with a human who shows him compassion and love, forming a bond stronger than any he's formed in his life. Beautifully written, evenly paced, it's classic Jack London.
Cons: I'm pretty sure this book was at least partly responsible for starting the whole "OMG I LUV WOLFZ!!!" trend among our young people in the last few years. Especially teenage girls. I'm talking about the kind who talk about how beautiful and majestic wolves are and how ugly and awful humans are and they would just love to live with the wolves forever. Urgh.
Also, I guess you could interpret some mild racial stereotyping in that White Fang's first master is a native who becomes an alcoholic.
For these two offenses, I deduct one star. But it's still a great little novel. ( )
  zhyatt | Aug 11, 2014 |
I expected to like this more than Call of the Wild because it was supposed to be London's book where he got all nitty-gritty about writing from the wolf's perspective in a real as opposed to a kind of anthropomorphic epical way, and there was some good stuff in that vein early on, with the baby wolf figuring out how the world works, and I think the "nature faker" label is somewhat unreasonable to apply to him unless you were expecting actual nature writing and not tall tale shit. (But only somewhat, since the fact that White Fang's narrative arc is basically that he is wild and magnif and then bad humans make him ornery and vicious and then good humans bring him into the light of civ gives the ecocritic-type, let-the-animals-be-animals-irretrievably-Other criticisms levelled against London by Teddy Roosevelt (!) at least three legs to stand on.)

No, the problem with this book has nothing to do with nature--it's London's atittudes toward humanity that are the problem. We see how nails-tough Grey Beaver and the other native people who first semi-domesticate White Fang are, but then when he wanders into the white man's town he sees--apocalyptic revelation!--that those "gods" (humans are gods) are as nothing before the pale gods, and you're like, why exactly, given that the white people in this are mostly a bunch of drunks and fuckups. London's racial ideology is accompanied by this thing where the scion of the judge's family in California comes in and stomps the vicious lumpen goldpanners who are forcing White Fang to dogfight ("You beasts!" he shrieks, manicured fists flying, superman curl coming unstuck. "You beasts!"). And White Fang is redeemed by being brought into the manor of the patriarch, the Judge of the Law. London himself said this book was an expression of "worship of power" and evoked Nietzsche, but it's a pretty thin Nietzscheanism--more Leibnizian all-is-for-the-best-in-this or Calvinist elect: those who rule are the strongest by virtue of ruling, not vice versa. Like, this guy's a socialist???? But then you read further that London saw this book as a fable-retelling of his own stratospheric rise from working-class kid to millionaire author, and you're like, no, he may think he's a socialist but he's actually the worst kind of fuckhead. ( )
1 vote MeditationesMartini | Jun 27, 2014 |
White Fang is ¼ dog and ¾ wolf. He is born into the wild, but since his mother is ½ dog, she brings him back to live with people. Over the course of his lifetime, he has to learn to adapt to many different worlds.

London does an amazing job of telling the story from the wolf/dog’s point of view. Although, I find it very, very difficult to get past some of the abuse that happens in the story, it is an amazing book about an amazing animal. The way the story is told depicts exactly how I think an animal’s mind would work. ( )
  LibraryCin | May 5, 2014 |

Lawrence, T. C.secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Murphy, JimForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thomley, BobNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thomley, BobNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dark spruce forest frowned on either side the frozen frozen waterway.
This is the main work for White Fang by Jack London. Please do not combine with any abridgements, adaptations, annotated editions, etc.

White Fang is part dog, part wolf - and the only one of five tiny cubs to survive. In his lonely world, he soon learns to follow the harsh law of the North - kill or be killed. But nothing in White Fang's life can prepare him for the cruel owner who buys him and turns him into a vicious killer - a pit dog forced to fight for money. Will White Fang ever know the kindness of a gentle master or will he die a fierce killer?

With an introduction from award winning K.A. Applegate, White Fang is one of London's classic tales of survival and one of his most popular stories. White Fang is part dog, part wolf, and the lone survivor of his family. In his lonely world, he soon learns to follow the law of the North--kill or be killed.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:57:48 -0400)

The adventures in the northern wilderness of a dog who is part wolf and how he comes to make his peace with man.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909175269, 1909175013

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,474,621 books! | Top bar: Always visible