The Strange Adventures of Rangergirl by Tim…

The Strange Adventures of Rangergirl (edition 2005)

by Tim Pratt

Series: Rangergirl

Member:bragan
Title:The Strange Adventures of Rangergirl
Authors:Tim Pratt
Info:Spectra (2005), Paperback, 402 pages
Tags:fiction, read in 2012

The Strange Adventures of Rangergirl by Tim Pratt

This review and others posted over at my blog.

What if characters from a comic you wrote suddenly began creeping their way into your life and were less than friendly? Would you take a stand against them or call a shrink? Marzi finds herself facing The Outlaw, a nemesis she created for her gun-toting, badass alter ego, Rangergirl, in her wild west themed comics. As The Outlaw and his minions force their way into her life and threaten to destroy her town she must face them and defend her home.

If you enjoy urban fantasy mixed with a healthy dose of western adventure, this is the book for you. I was reminded of Charles de Lint’s world building – where artwork and legends come to life in our modern time and try to integrate into or destroy our society. I was heading on vacation when I picked this up and I wanted something that would be light and fun and Pratt delivered. Engrossed, I read most of this book in a day. Marzi is a great lead character, and even more spectacular are the characters she created for her Rangergirl comic. I loved the mutable character of The Outlaw – everyone viewed him a bit differently and his personality began to change because of Marzi. He had a lot of wit and made a great villain.

I found it easy to imagine the world Marzi created in her comics as it came to life before her own eyes. In fact, I would love to see some actual Rangergirl comics. In fact, I think Pratt should team up with Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples and make an awesome comic series! They don’t even have to credit me for the idea!

This book has been on my shelf for years and years and my only regret is not picking it up sooner! ( )
  MillieHennessy | Aug 6, 2015 |
This book is everything that you want a book like this - kick-ass heroine who is multi-dimensional, friends that have her back... A coffee shop, a crazy villain, strange, totally evil villains... The writing is solid. Pacing is good and the story is quite wonderful.

Highly recommended if you like odd fantasy books. ( )
  TheDivineOomba | Dec 21, 2014 |
Genius Loci is a coffeeshop in Santa Cruz, California, a favorite hangout for oddball art students. It also happens to be the secret entrance to a prison that holds a powerful destructive entity, a god of earthquakes and mudslides and wildfires. Marzi, an employee at the coffeeshop, is the designated warden for this prison and its inhabitant, a job that's made a little more problematic by the fact that she thinks he's a fictional character she made up as part of the fantasy/western comic book she's writing... at least until people start showing up trying to set him free.

This isn't the best-written of Tim Pratt's works -- although that's a pretty high standard, as some of his short fiction is amazing -- and it feels to me as if it could and probably should have been a much more epic story than it was. But it was still fun, and wonderfully imaginative, and I do love the premise. I can't help thinking that it's got an oddly cinematic feel to it; I kept imagining it as a movie as I was reading. And I think it could make a surprisingly good one, too, if produced with a quirky indie film sensibility, a decent special effects budget, and some really strong art direction. ( )
  bragan | Nov 5, 2012 |
Supernatural western comic book creator's creations are a bit real - and dangerous. And crazy.

http://freesf.strandedinoz.com/wordpress/2012/03/the-strange-adventures-of-range... ( )
  BlueTysonSS | Mar 20, 2012 |
Lots of fun, well written. Sadly, the final showdown doesn't quite hold up, and that's the scene the entire book builds toward. But a good read anyway. ( )
  Shmuel510 | Jul 23, 2011 |
For Heather,

who brought water to my desert.
Marzi leaned on the counter and watched, with dread twisting in her belly like a knot of rattlesnakes, as Beej trudged up the stairs.

In this debut novel, acclaimed short-story author Tim Pratt delivers an exciting heroine with a hidden talent–and a secret duty. Witty and suspenseful, here is a contemporary love song to the West that was won and the myths that shape us….

As night manager of Santa Cruz’s quirkiest coffeehouse, Marzi McCarty makes a mean espresso, but her first love is making comics. Her claim to fame: The Strange Adventures of Rangergirl, a cowpunk neo-western yarn. Striding through an urban frontier peopled by Marzi’s wild imagination, Rangergirl doles out her own brand of justice. But lately Marzi’s imagination seems to be altering her reality. She’s seeing the world through Rangergirl’s eyes–literally--complete with her deadly nemesis, the Outlaw.

It all started when Marzi opened a hidden door in the coffeehouse storage room. There, imprisoned among
the supplies, she saw the face of something unknown…and dangerous. And she unwittingly became its guard. But some primal darkness must’ve escaped, because Marzi hasn’t been the same since. And neither have her customers, who are acting downright apocalyptic.

Now it’s up to Marzi to stop this supervillainous superforce that’s swaggered its way into her world. For Marzi, it’s the
showdown of her life. For Rangergirl, it’s just another day....

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:01 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,051,844 books! | Top bar: Always visible