The Trouble with Poetry: And Other Poems by…

The Trouble with Poetry: And Other Poems (2005)

by Billy Collins

7421912,554 (4.21)40

The trouble with poetry is/you can't eat it all/at once without/getting a rush, even if the lines are plain-spoken like this/and the sun is shining high and you are eating a fresh-picked apple without the kids around/and there's little melodrama in the poem or in your life, even if the poem is about love and sex and death, always death, even when eating an apple.

The Trouble With Poetry is worth reading for Billy Collins' fine lines! ( )
  cabockwrites | Sep 25, 2014 |
Billy Collins has a knack for taking the mundane, ordinary pieces of the world and extracting the fundamental, insightful or just plain humorous essence of it with an economy only a poet of exceptional skill can accomplish. The Trouble with Poetry takes it even further by exploiting some of the foibles of the poet caught in a modern world. Collins offers up an accessible style of freeform poetry that anyone can appreciate. However, it isn’t simplistic at all – more often than not multiple readings are necessary to begin to penetrate the nuances of his writing. Still, The Trouble with Poetry speaks in the conversational voice of that quirky but essential neighbor who you go to when you need someone to shine a different light on the world. I completely enjoyed this short collection and my only quibble was that I wanted more when I reached the last page. I suppose that is the essence of a successful poet. A great introduction to Billy Collins. ( )
  csayban | Jan 4, 2014 |
A good collection. I liked some better than others, of course, but an overall impression of being well-written. ( )
  NeitherNora | Sep 7, 2013 |
I love the everyday images that Collins evokes. Many of them also have a dry wit I find appealing. ( )
  leslie.98 | Jun 26, 2013 |
Well, this is definitely a book I want to own, one to reread. What can I say? I just love Billy Collins. I love his turn-of-phrase, his images, his depiction of the act of writing poetry.

The only negative would be that he makes me want to write poetry, which is a Very Bad Thing.

Note: The library copy is a signed edition, which I think is pretty cool. ( )
  MarieAlt | Mar 31, 2013 |
My idea of paradise is a perfect automobile going thirty miles an hour on a smooth road to a twelfth-century cathedral. --Henry James
To my students and my teachers

Playfulness, spare elegance, and wit epitomize the poetry of Billy Collins. With his distinct voice and accessible language, America’s two-term Poet Laureate has opened the door to poetry for countless people for whom it might otherwise remain closed.

Like the present book’s title, Collins’s poems are filled with mischief, humor, and irony, “Poetry speaks to all people, it is said, but here I would like to address / only those in my own time zone”–but also with quiet observation, intense wonder, and a reverence for the everyday: “The birds are in their trees, / the toast is in the toaster, / and the poets are at their windows. / They are at their windows in every section of the tangerine of earth–the Chinese poets looking up at the moon, / the American poets gazing out / at the pink and blue ribbons of sunrise.”

Through simple language, Collins shows that good poetry doesn’t have to be obscure or incomprehensible, qualities that are perhaps the real trouble with most “serious” poetry: “By now, it should go without saying / that what the oven is to the baker / and the berry-stained blouse to the drycleaner / so the window is to the poet.”

In this dazzling new collection, his first in three years, Collins explores boyhood, jazz, love, the passage of time, and, of course, writing–themes familiar to Collins’s fans but made new here. Gorgeous, funny, and deeply empathetic, Billy Collins’s poetry is a window through which we see our lives as if for the first time.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:32 -0400)

A collection of poetry by America's former Poet Laureate features witty, insightful, and simple poems dealing with the themes of jazz, the passage of time, love, boyhood, and writing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,965,232 books! | Top bar: Always visible